Graham Onions Retires

A top cricketer and top bloke, Durham should be ashamed at how they let him go.

Still performing at a high level last season for Lancs, very sad to see him retire. My 2nd favourite Durham player ever behind Colly.

Agreed with all that, should have more caps for his ability and performances, shame about the injuries he's had.

Yeah he should have played more for England, was unfortunate with injuries, but they always picked Bresnan for his batting, although he was class for England

Broad and Jimmy weren't the bowlers they are now, then, reckon he could have played more

I was gutted for him he didnt play the ashes test at Durham, he was bang in form, the test match worked out perfectly but still reckon he should habe played

Yeah he should have played more for England, was unfortunate with injuries, but they always picked Bresnan for his batting, although he was class for England

Broad and Jimmy weren't the bowlers they are now, then, reckon he could have played more

I was gutted for him he didnt play the ashes test at Durham, he was bang in form, the test match worked out perfectly but still reckon he should habe played
Wouldn't say averaging 33 with ball is class

Was quality in Australia like, it’s not all about averages like
Just remember Bunny blocking us to 2 draws in South Africa

what a class series that was

remember I was at work for one, awful call centre, was cheering the last over from the bogs

Last edited:
Fantastic bowler for Durham and with the benefit of hindsight they probably wish they had offered him the 2 year deal. But at the time the club where skint and didn't want to risk giving one of the top earners at the club a 2 year deal when he had had serious back injuries and didn't figure in their one day plans.
Lancashire could probably take that risk but certainly at the time Durham could not.I thought Durham took the safest decision.
I know it got about acrimonious at the end but at the end of the day Bunny got 3 years at Lancs in which two of them he was excellent.

Agreed with all that, should have more caps for his ability and performances, shame about the injuries he's had.
Unfortunately for him Tim Bresnan could bat and he couldn't

Albeit bres was excellent in the winter ashes and deserved to be in the side. But if he could hold a bat he'd have got plenty more tests.
Wouldn't say averaging 33 with ball is class
He was class in Aus, onions was better bet for when we played here. But he was too similar to jimmy in one string to his bow and unlucky played at the same time as him.

Bunny wouldn't have been any good in Aus I don't think. Just see jimmy for most of his games in Aus

Last edited:
Can’t locate the stats but GO is still top by a fair way isn’t he?

Slightly out of date as Rushy has passed 500. Superior average though and taken 15 wickets in a match.

Also born in Sunderland and never left Durham which is worth an extra 50 wickets.

Back