Government Petition (Hedgehogs)

Now some may laugh at this, some may think it's a waste of time etc which is fair enough.

Anyway to cut a long story short, my Dad helps out looking after injured hedgehogs (a few social media groups help out in the area) as well as housing several in his back garden with the hedgehog boxes, feeding them etc (you get the idea). It's something I've started taking a bit more notice of and trying to help out.

Protect the UK's dwindling hedgehog population before it's too late. - Petitions (parliament.uk)

If you can be bothered, feel free to sign or just take a moment to read about it.

I admire a bit of community activism but that petition doesn't really say much about why people should support it in light of the government's undertaking to have an evidence based study before making a decision.

However, I've found a response to the government statement which better explains what the Hedgehog Preservation Society wants so I've signed up.

Here's a link

Now some may laugh at this, some may think it's a waste of time etc which is fair enough.

Anyway to cut a long story short, my Dad helps out looking after injured hedgehogs (a few social media groups help out in the area) as well as housing several in his back garden with the hedgehog boxes, feeding them etc (you get the idea). It's something I've started taking a bit more notice of and trying to help out.

Protect the UK's dwindling hedgehog population before it's too late. - Petitions (parliament.uk)

If you can be bothered, feel free to sign or just take a moment to read about it.
All signed mate.

Great what you and your dad are doing

All signed mate.

Great what you and your dad are doing

Thanks. It was my Dad's neighbour who was involved first then my Dad took an interest and it's spiralled from there really. 4 currently in his back garden. He's got a night camera so he knows what's about and will weigh them etc to make sure they're alright and feed up etc if underweight. Some dedicated people out there looking after them.

Fella from Houghton le Spring builds the boxes and donates money to charity.
Hedgehogs - Summer 2020 - YouTube - video of 2 having a bit of a rumble earlier this year :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

apparently garden walls stop the little fellas walking about. Maybe we should all be open plan?

Great work - signed

Good for your dad. đź‘Ť

Nice to see him giving something back to the community after spawning you. :lol:

apparently garden walls stop the little fellas walking about. Maybe we should all be open plan?

Great work - signed
My Dad made a hole in his garden wall (all looks neat and tidy as he just moved a couple of blocks) as did some of the neighbours and put wood tunnels in for them. Little things like that help. They're class to see mind
Good for your dad. đź‘Ť

Nice to see him giving something back to the community after spawning you. :lol:
Ha

Fair play Gordon and well done to your Dad. Fantastic effort!

You talk a lot more sense re hedgehogs than politics mind :)

Signed.

Last edited:
Fair play Gordon and well done to your Dad. Fantastic effort!

You talk a lot more sense re hedgehogs than politics mind :)

:lol:

I find them fascinating as I do with nature in general really but taken more notice of these Hedgehogs because of my Dad and some of his neighbours. It's shocking how badly the numbers have declined though.

Few local groups on facebook, folk go above and beyond with care and rescue, it's good to see.

Aye we have fantastic wildlife in this country we should do all we can to protect it.

We recovered a hog about 6 weeks ago, gave Dad a ring and he popped down, collected it and basically warmed it up, fed it. Put it in the box overnight and had the camera on it, noticeable limp and it was discovered a shattered pelvis. Can't prove the cause but someone kicking it about was something the vet mentioned as "common".
Aye we have fantastic wildlife in this country we should do all we can to protect it.

Few of us in the village do a bit bird watching, mainly just locally and one of the lads is handy with joinery and has made owl boxes for years for folk and the farm he used to work out, varied success but mostly positive. He's made a few and we've put them up locally in the village recently and that's had some success early doors as well. We need to do all we can to help and also protect wildlife, it's surprising what is outside so close to home.

Last edited:

Agreed, because sadly, we have far, far less of it than we did when I was a kid.

41% of species in decline since the seventies.

Hedgehog population declined by 95% since the fifties. Ninety-five percent. Turtle doves in the UK dropped by 98%.

A quarter of the UK's mammals and half its bird species are at a very real risk of disappearing completely.

Is so f***ing sad, but it's been such a long burn that it's almost easy not to notice, or people put it down to age and nostalgia. But no: you did see more wildlife. The dawn chorus was louder. The toads croaked in the ponds.

But now you don't, it's quieter, and they're not there. And it's not getting any better.

Which is why people doing what they can, like in this thread is so important.

Back