Government announce investment of £35m in grassroots cricket

widening access into state schools?

sounds like commie talk to me
I'm not sure that's the right way. I know people have already been into school and not had a lot of interest, also, for Durham the opinion I hear is that it's the clubs that are our region's strength.

I wonder how the money will be distributed. Often Whitehall likes to keep their hands on the purse strings and distribute cash from the centre, however I hope that a large fraction is given to the County Cricket associations or whatever the governing bodies are called, so they can decide what is best for their County.

I'm not sure that's the right way. I know people have already been into school and not had a lot of interest, also, for Durham the opinion I hear is that it's the clubs that are our region's strength.

I wonder how the money will be distributed. Often Whitehall likes to keep their hands on the purse strings and distribute cash from the centre, however I hope that a large fraction is given to the County Cricket associations or whatever the governing bodies are called, so they can decide what is best for their County.
Agree with this. For as long as I can remember there has never really been much cricket in North East schools apart from in select cases where PE teachers or other teachers have been players themselves and ran a few teams.

Chance 2 Shine seemed a good initiative 20 years or so ago where they'd run taster sessions in schools and link kids up with the local feeder club in the area however.

Back