Google maps

onestepbeyond

Subs Bench
I’ve ended up going down a google maps rabbit hole. I stumbled across an old article about Sunderland nightclubs/pubs from around the 00’s.

Anyway I ended up on google maps looking at where they used to be. I then ended up on google street view looking at the building on Olive street that used to be Laings pub. I then saw in the corner “see more dates” which transported me back in time. Here I am wandering around Sunderland via google street view. The year is currently 2009 and I’m currently walking past the glass spider.

This happened to anyone else?

I’ve ended up going down a google maps rabbit hole. I stumbled across an old article about Sunderland nightclubs/pubs from around the 00’s.

Anyway I ended up on google maps looking at where they used to be. I then ended up on google street view looking at the building on Olive street that used to be Laings pub. I then saw in the corner “see more dates” which transported me back in time. Here I am wandering around Sunderland via google street view. The year is currently 2009 and I’m currently walking past the glass spider.

You need to download the Google Maps application IIRC.

All depends on how often the area is visited by the Google cameras. City centre locations are done about once a year but my street was only done recently for the first time since 2008.

i love a bit mooch about on google maps.
the mainland in lagos near snake island is an eye opener.
i also never realised that skid row was an actual district in los angeles. i always thought it was just a term people used. it's canny shocking like.

My son is on it outside my house from 2009, he turns his head as he follows the car down the street :) he turned 25 last week

It’s my most used app after Safari to read this place. Love exploring random places on street view in the world or places I want to go someday, or even looking back at places I’ve already been and seeing if they have changed.

The see previous dates feature is brilliant. A recent one I done using that was looking at old football grounds no longer with us that I’d been to, for example Upton Park, White Hart Lane. Really does take you back and at the same time make you realise how quick time flies.

It’s also very handy to check out the local area and street your hotel is on if you’re planning on going somewhere to check the places beside your hotel aren’t a shithole.

Last edited:
yeah I've often done it. It's how I did the before and after photos

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Cracking that, the City is going to look top class once all of the developments are complete. It will no doubt lead to additional investment and develop further.

We already knew it was an under-rated place to live, predominantly due to newcastle saddos spreading a load of rubbish about the place. It's funny seeing no doubt the same sad acts seething as the City improves and expands.

Great for us from a selfish point of view, but fantastic for the NE as well. We seem to be leading the way.

Last edited:
A bloke living next door to a house we were converting into a HMO claimed the dust from our site had damaged the paintwork on his car. He wanted compensation and we told him to fck off, he then sent us a letter saying if we didn't pay up for a new paint job he was getting solicitors involved and it would end up costing us loads. We sent him a screen shot of his car one year before we started work, clearly showing the damaged paintwork. We heard nowt more from him.

My son is on it outside my house from 2009, he turns his head as he follows the car down the street :) he turned 25 last week

If you go back a few years my (no longer with us) nana is stood in her porch chatting to the odd job man who used to come and cut her lawn.

Sometimes go on to have a look :lol:

Back