Good cover versions

Gosh there’s no accounting for taste is there. I find that dreadful, and devoid of any of the emotion of the original.

A John Lewis/Radio 1 Live Lounge cover.

The Knife’s was the original wasn’t it? Jose Gonzalez’s was the cover.

it was as per David M’s post. I genuinely didn’t know that.

I Honestly didn’t realise that I thought it was the other way around.

Easy mistake to make as likely 99% of people first heard Gonzalez's version - myself included. The Knife were a very secretive group and this probably harmed the impact their songs had. The song was first released in 2002 but didn't register with many outside the industry. Gonzalez released his cover in '03 and it was used on a Sony advert and really took off. The Knife re-released their 'version' in '04 and, while still not massive, it did impact with many more people second time round.

Easy mistake to make as likely 99% of people first heard Gonzalez's version - myself included. The Knife were a very secretive group and this probably harmed the impact their songs had. The song was first released in 2002 but didn't register with many outside the industry. Gonzalez released his cover in '03 and it was used on a Sony advert and really took off. The Knife re-released their 'version' in '04 and, while still not massive, it did impact with many more people second time round.

yeah I hadn’t heard of the knife until the release of like a pen, however I never really searched much of their back catalogue so that never registered.

Back