Golf 2024 official thread

Anyone on here a member of George Washington ? Just received another email saying course is closed all weekend again. I genuinely don’t think it’s been open more than 50% of the past 12 months. I haven’t played the course in a year now. To make it even worse they’ve also decided to put my membership fees up.

F##K THAT.

Live in Washington so looking for a new course. Might try Wearside or even CLS.
Any recommendations for a decent course, that doesn’t close constantly in the wet near to Washington ?

Anyone on here a member of George Washington ? Just received another email saying course is closed all weekend again. I genuinely don’t think it’s been open more than 50% of the past 12 months. I haven’t played the course in a year now. To make it even worse they’ve also decided to put my membership fees up.

F##K THAT.

Any recommendations for a decent course, that doesn’t close constantly in the wet near to Washington ?
They all do, nothing different anywhere else.

I heard some good reports about Whitburn today at my mates funeral of all things

They all do, nothing different anywhere else.

I heard some good reports about Whitburn today at my mates funeral of all things
If you ever want a visit, gimme a shout, I’ll sign you on. Same goes for anyone else. The course has been transformed with the new bunkers in the last 2 years. You’ll struggle to find better greens anywhere either.

If you ever want a visit, gimme a shout, I’ll sign you on. Same goes for anyone else. The course has been transformed with the new bunkers in the last 2 years. You’ll struggle to find better greens anywhere either.
I don't play mate, used to, just follow my son now. I did hear today the cost was un excess of 250K to do the bunkers, and a glowing report from a couple of lads who have played the game for 40 ++ years

Last edited:
I don't play mate, used to, just follow my son now. I did hear today the cost was un excess of 250K to do the bunkers, and a glowing report from a couple of lads who have played the game for 40 ++ years
Not quite correct. A member offered the club a 250k loan at a low interest rate to get the work done along with plenty of other stuff. I don’t know exactly how much went on the course but would imagine Jonathon Gaunt doesn’t come cheap!!

Not quite correct. A member offered the club a 250k loan at a low interest rate to get the work done along with plenty of other stuff. I don’t know exactly how much went on the course but would imagine Jonathon Gaunt doesn’t come cheap!!
Recognised his name, designed throston too!

F##K THAT.

George wash notorious - I joined Heworth a few year back and great club while there, however my son and his mate are duffing membership this year as sick of the course not being great. (Rain has been bad like) but they are are happy paying and playing as they always find a course open.

Neighbours are CLS they like it.

George wash notorious - I joined Heworth a few year back and great club while there, however my son and his mate are duffing membership this year as sick of the course not being great. (Rain has been bad like) but they are are happy paying and playing as they always find a course open.

Neighbours are CLS they like it.

Yeah it’s never been great but a few years back a lot of investment went into drainage but the past 12 months have been a joke. Literally every time I’ve be able to play over the past 12 months I’ve not been able too because the course was either closed or only partially open ie front 9 or back 9. I get it’s been bad for all clubs but GW must have been the worst around the area and then to put fees up this year is the final straw. I might see who is on Play More Golf and just pay as a I play.

I heard the member did offer 250K, but then wanted to get involved in the design. The club in around about way said no thanks. Two members then put 120K in each at a 3% interest rate

Went out last night, overcast and windy, quick 5 min downpour on the 5th then clouds blew over and what a stunning evening. Wind dropped away and bright sunshine. Beautiful man.

And played under handicaps which is always nice. 😎

Back