Golf 2024 official thread

Anyone on here a member of George Washington ? Just received another email saying course is closed all weekend again. I genuinely don’t think it’s been open more than 50% of the past 12 months. I haven’t played the course in a year now. To make it even worse they’ve also decided to put my membership fees up.

F##K THAT.

Live in Washington so looking for a new course. Might try Wearside or even CLS.
Any recommendations for a decent course, that doesn’t close constantly in the wet near to Washington ?
I'm a member at Birtley but similar it asnt been open much so we have been whoring ourselves around - Houghton is good and high up, like wise we really enjoyed Whitburn. Played CLS twice - its full of pretentious w@nkers will probably never go again.

member at shields and can't help but admiring Whitburn over the wall getting bunker envy :lol:
Played shields the other day with a couple of lads from Hobson. Standing on the Shields 13th tee and looking across to Whitburn at the bunkers on the 7th there. The white sand just makes them stand out

I'm a member at Birtley but similar it asnt been open much so we have been whoring ourselves around - Houghton is good and high up, like wise we really enjoyed Whitburn. Played CLS twice - its full of pretentious w@nkers will probably never go again.

Pretentious is an interesting description of CLS members mind 😂😂

Anyone on here a member of George Washington ? Just received another email saying course is closed all weekend again. I genuinely don’t think it’s been open more than 50% of the past 12 months. I haven’t played the course in a year now. To make it even worse they’ve also decided to put my membership fees up.

F##K THAT.

Live in Washington so looking for a new course. Might try Wearside or even CLS.
Any recommendations for a decent course, that doesn’t close constantly in the wet near to Washington ?
I’m a member at Houghton. Can’t fault the place. Decent course and friendly clubhouse. Lost a good few days this year to the weather but as has most clubs so understandable.

Played Birtley hundreds of times over the years. I think it’s a really hard nine holes. There isn’t a single hole with a flat fairway, every lie is awkward for the entire course.
As for the first three holes, your round can be pretty much done by the time you tee off on the fourth. Long par 3 opening hole than needs a long iron onto the green from your tee short. 2nd hole is very long for a par 4 with OOB on the right and a line of trees to get past. Then the little par 3… hit the green or your in a world of trouble 🤣🤣 Great little course.

Last edited:
Played Birtley hundreds of times over the years. I think it’s a really hard nine holes. There isn’t a single hole with a flat fairway, every lie is awkward for the entire course.
As for the first three holes, your round can be pretty much done by the time you tee off on the fourth. Long par 3 opening hole than needs a long iron onto the green from your tee short. 2nd hole is very long for a par 4 with OOB on the right and a line of trees to get past. Then the little par 3… hit the green or your in a world of trouble 🤣🤣 Great little course.
Never played it, one of the few around here I haven't played, don't think I want to after that description :lol: 😱

don’t remember it being that hard but tbf first is a tough opening hole. Was always a canny tricky 9 holes. Not played it in donkeys years. Like

Aye its great for what we neeed and we just alternate front nine and then back nine - its amazing how different it seems moving a tee box 15 metres
don’t remember it being that hard but tbf first is a tough opening hole. Was always a canny tricky 9 holes. Not played it in donkeys years. Like
The first and second are as hard a start as I've stumbled across in my limited golfing experience.

On the way back from a two week visit to the States and where I used to live in North Carolina. Managed to get in 11 rounds of golf which is about the same as what I've managed in the last 18 months. Played with someone else's 20 year old sticks, they were missing a 6 iron and had only one wedge. To be fair I smacked them better than my own and scored to my handicap. I also got someone's senior shafted driver and hit that like no other driver I've hit before. I often say it's not the arrow but the Indian, but I've changed my mind on that one after the last few weeks.

Now it's back to the grind and no golf, that little fix will keepe going a bit though.

Back