Going to the match with absolutely no pressure

I thought this is what everyone wanted when we first got back to the championship

Few seasons mid table safety then after 3 years push for promotion

Certain I read that on here

We didn’t have mid table safety last season.

Expectations and standards were a lot higher.

This year has been a huge drop off.

Absolutely no wonder people are disillusioned and loads of empty seats week after week.

The concept of a dead rubber is almost completely alien for Sunderland supporters of a certain age who are used to nail biting climaxes to the season, chasing promotions or fighting against relegation. Seasons 1993-94 and 1988-89 are the most recent examples of mid table mediocrity that I can recall. Looking forward to a good game of football, a stress free afternoon and a saveloy dip! Ha'way the lads!

On the result. Seems a long time at this stage of the season that we can do that. Just enjoy the day lads and lasses.
We’ll win and people will be on here like last week moaning that it doesn’t matter because we had less possession. For those at the back: POSESSION MEANS NOUT IF YOU CANNIT PUT THE BALL AWAY

The concept of a dead rubber is almost completely alien for Sunderland supporters of a certain age who are used to nail biting climaxes to the season, chasing promotions or fighting against relegation. Seasons 1993-94 and 1988-89 are the most recent examples of mid table mediocrity that I can recall. Looking forward to a good game of football, a stress free afternoon and a saveloy dip! Ha'way the lads!
I'm of that age where scrambling for points was everything. I don't think most of us ever went to see a decent game of football. Was there anything worse than attending a game where nothing mattered. :(

A few pints, lots of laughs with the lads, watch the game, have a nice shave in the SoL bogs at half time and then a few light ales after the game. All good.

I'm of that age where scrambling for points was everything. I don't think most of us ever went to see a decent game of football. Was there anything worse than attending a game where nothing mattered. :(
Winning was and, in my opinion, still is imperative and if you couldn't win then the onus was on not getting beaten. Like you say points and the accumulation of them to either go up or stay up was all important. In essence professional pride should ensure that there is always something to play for although the reality is often very different.

Winning was and, in my opinion, still is imperative and if you couldn't win then the onus was on not getting beaten. Like you say points and the accumulation of them to either go up or stay up was all important. In essence professional pride should ensure that there is always something to play for although the reality is often very different.
Totally agree, but you could tell just how much a player commits (or not) when it doesn't really matter. The comparisons were startling from team selection and how they played to reactions when competing for the ball. Yes, those looking for a contract/deal made much more of an effort than others that were on down-time holiday looming level of competition.

Totally agree, but you could tell just how much a player commits (or not) when it doesn't really matter. The comparisons were startling from team selection and how they played to reactions when competing for the ball. Yes, those looking for a contract/deal made much more of an effort than others that were on down-time holiday looming level of competition.
Maybe

But all this Moral Highground “professional pride, win at all costs” I think ignores an opportunity to blood younger players without a Sword of Damocles hanging over them

Hope to see a few full league debuts now before the end of the season

For a Club to throw the towel in before the end of January was disgusting way to treat the supporters. You could say the done this as far back as The beginning of December last year. They should hang there heads in shame.

Back