Going sick at work when you’re not sick

What do people think about this? Out of order or fair enough?

Had two month with a bad back (it wasn’t) last year after years and years of exemplary attendance. Truth is it felt good and I’m thinking of doing it again soon.

I’ve only got a few years left of work and I really can’t be arsed anymore. I’ve watched others take the piss for years and still get the same treatment as the grafters.

On the other hand deep down it’s not how I was brought up or how I generally live my life.

If everybody did it the country would be (more) fucked.

Your opinions won’t stop me getting an imaginary bad back but just wondering how others feel and do you factor a bit of sick into your yearly roster?
Could get done for malingering marra if caught. Is it worth it? Bye bye final pension.

If you work from home is it all right to throw a sickie?
I think sick days have went down at our place since work from home became the norm. People are now more inclined to log on, say they're unwell but do a bit work rather than go on the sick.
I include myself in that when I had covid. If I couldn't work from home I'd have been on the sick for a week.

No. I feel guilty enough, stupid I know, when I am legitimately sick
I would never have a sick day if not genuinely unwell but I'm getting slightly better at not feeling guilty when I am sick.
I went sixteen years with only one week off due to flu where I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow and my hair hurt. That all came crashing down when I was rushed to hospital and spent five nights there due to losing loads of blood. Can't even remember how long I was off then but must have been weeks.
I began to realise that people cope if you aren't there and you aren't thought of any better for soldiering through.
The only real sickness I've had since then is hospital stuff and a couple bouts of shitting myself inside out. I'm trying to get better at not rushing back after these things.
Not been off for over a year and I'm lucky that I don't often have colds etc. WFH and not using public transport must have cut down on the amount of people with colds.

Had two month with a bad back (it wasn’t) last year after years and years of exemplary attendance. Truth is it felt good and I’m thinking of doing it again soon.

I’ve only got a few years left of work and I really can’t be arsed anymore. I’ve watched others take the piss for years and still get the same treatment as the grafters.

On the other hand deep down it’s not how I was brought up or how I generally live my life.

Your opinions won’t stop me getting an imaginary bad back but just wondering how others feel and do you factor a bit of sick into your yearly roster?
Shouldn't this be on PF, Dan.

Depends on the company. If they are ***** then take them for what you can get. If they treat you well then it's worth putting the effort in.

🎣 4 bites

Sounds good in theory, but fucks you over when you are unwell as it builds up a record. Plus it knacks over other people at work as for just a day sick or day 1 they can't get cover. Which in a shop sucks.

Because some people took the piss with Covid, our company is cracking down on policy now. Whilst 3 absences in a year, or 3% of your time in a year off sick could always potentially lead to a disciplinary meeting, now it always will. Well all self certified sickness will. Not sure about doctors note ones. And other obvious exceptions like being hit by a car causing a few weeks off or something.

I wish more people would stay off when they are sick instead of acting like they're doing everyone a favour by coming in complaining about feeling like shite and spreading their germs around.

With regards to being off sick you're either just pushing your work back a day/week/month or giving somebody else in the company extra work so it's always screwing somebody over if you aren't actually sick.

Self employed now and tbh I work an hour a day 6 days a week and then 1 12+ hour day so if I'm feeling sick I just do the bare minimum and get some rest.

You're on playing the game that most play now.

But keep you're dignity...its worth alot more than this post marra

I think there is a noticeable difference in the attitude towards sick absence between employed and self employed people.

The self employed generally just crack on.

Just own the fact YOU want to get paid without actually putting the work in to earn it. Don't blame others for you wanting to do that.

Just do it without bringing what others do into it. It is your decision to make.
No outside factors ever influence your decisions in life?

Look mate we’ve got so many people on considerate hrs, mainly women for various reasons getting paid what I get paid except I’m doing 7 day 24 hour rotating shifts.

We’ve got people that say they can’t work except between 12 and 8 because they’ve got long Covid ffs.

Of course years of watching this shit will influence you.

It’s still my decision of course.

I’m only off work when I’m really, really sick and I get no thanks for it. If you can get away with it, I don’t see why not.

Back