Going sick at work when you’re not sick

framed

Full Back
What do people think about this? Out of order or fair enough?

Had two month with a bad back (it wasn’t) last year after years and years of exemplary attendance. Truth is it felt good and I’m thinking of doing it again soon.

I’ve only got a few years left of work and I really can’t be arsed anymore. I’ve watched others take the piss for years and still get the same treatment as the grafters.

On the other hand deep down it’s not how I was brought up or how I generally live my life.

If everybody did it the country would be (more) fucked.

Your opinions won’t stop me getting an imaginary bad back but just wondering how others feel and do you factor a bit of sick into your yearly roster?

If your employer allows other people to take the piss you might as well join the party.

But no, I don't factor in annual sick leave, if I'm unwell I don't go to work.

Last edited:
Just not in my nature. I’ve never had a day off sick in well over a decade, I’ve felt horrendous sometimes in that time but still always felt bad going off so I’ve ploughed on as best as I can. Only time recently I actually had to have time off for not feeling well was taking the afternoon off after my second Covid jab 2 or 3 years ago because it absolutely floored me and I couldn’t continue. Was fine by the next morning though.

It’s a fuck on when you go back. Workload is double what you missed and that’s with genuine reasons

Last time I was off I went in ill and my boss told me to go home and not come back in till I was better. Ended up in the Freeman for chest scans and on two courses of antibiotics and was off for a week.

Back