Goal involvements from CMs

McGregor

Winger
19 goal involvements so far this season from our three main CMs in Neil, Ekwah and Jobe.

Compared to 7 goal involvements from Neil,Ekwah, Michut and Evans last season. It's a huge increase. So was wondering what people think the difference has been ? Just the fact they have a year in championship last season has helped them ? Or has there been a tactic change to get the CMs more involved ?

Either way, it's great to see our midfield more involved in the goals and assists.

19 goal involvements so far this season from our three main CMs in Neil, Ekwah and Jobe.

Compared to 7 goal involvements from Neil,Ekwah, Michut and Evans last season. It's a huge increase. So was wondering what people think the difference has been ? Just the fact they have a year in championship last season has helped them ? Or has there been a tactic change to get the CMs more involved ?

Either way, it's great to see our midfield more involved in the goals and assists.
They had to score more because the striker (if present) wasn't?

The system change is probably the reason. Played 4231 last season but mostly 433 this, allowing 2 of the 3 to play as an 8 and get forward.

Also slightly skewed stats given Jobe's played and scored some of those up front too.

We didn't have a striker after Stewart got injured in fairness and they still never scored. Either way I find it a staggering comparison to last season
I was being a bit jokey, but semi-serious. We have needed them to step up. After Stewart was injured and Simms recalled we still had Diallo knocking them in, and Roberts was scoring a few.

It is a significant improvement. Ekwah is one reason, he's got a good shot from distance on him. We didn't have someone like that last season -Ekwah only broke in towards the end. I sometimes think the crowd don't help with the "shoot"s, as it's not always on.
I think Neil would get more if there was a CM who could sit and relieve him from more defensive duties - maybes Callum. You'd expect Jobe to get more (and he has) because of being pushed up into the '10' role or even CF.

Last edited:
It was being bit jokey, but semi-serious. We have needed them to step up. After Stewart was injured and Simms recalled we still had Diallo knocking them in, and Roberts was scoring a few.

It is a significant improvement. Ekwah is one reason, he's got a good shot from distance on him. We didn't have someone like that last season. I sometimes think the crowd don't help with the "shoot"s, as it's not always on.
I think Neil would get more if there was a CM who could sit and relieve him from more defensive duties - maybes Callum. You'd expect Jobe to get more (and he has) because of being pushed up into the '10' role or even CF.

You mention styles to get Neil further forward. Who do you sacrifice for that to happen, Ekwah or Jobe ? It's gotta be someone.

Depends how you look at it.

Amad played in the 3 last season ahead of a 2.

Are we taking in to account all attacking midfielders and midfielders this year?
The system change is probably the reason. Played 4231 last season but mostly 433 this, allowing 2 of the 3 to play as an 8 and get forward.

Also slightly skewed stats given Jobe's played and scored some of those up front too.

Aye this.

Wouldn’t class Jobe as a cm.

Depends how you look at it.

Amad played in the 3 last season ahead of a 2.

Are we taking in to account all attacking midfielders and midfielders this year?

I was just mainly thinking the central midfielders in general. As I feel attacking midfielders are much more expected to be involved the goal side of things

You mention styles to get Neil further forward. Who do you sacrifice for that to happen, Ekwah or Jobe ? It's gotta be someone.
Not sure - but Ekwah and Jobe's form have been a bit hit miss this season. Ekwah post-injury and Jobe has had his off-games - as well decent ones though. Whoever's in form. Competition. Maybe Jobe's determination this afternoon was a product of nor being started!

Back