Getting rid of rats

AndyC73

Midfield
Anyone got experience of getting rid of rats from a garden?

A rat burrow keeps appearing in the vegetable patch and under the decking - and spotted one of the buggers the other week.
Had pest control out a few times, but it's just reappeared and I don't want to have to keep forking out.
So was thinking of trying to treat it myself for while, to save a few quid if possible.

Any past experience and recommendations of good products to use?

Get a box of poison and put it under the decking till they don’t come back. Fill a suitcase with the poison and put a hole big enough for them but not a hedgehog to get in. Eventually they’ll just die. You can get the poison online.

A great big evil sumbitch of a rescue cat
Was starting to think of maybe getting a cat/dog (kids being going on about it for ages), but it's big commitment and not had one before.
Weird thing is, there used to be loads of cats coming through the garden. But not seen any in ages. Just when you need em!

An Air rifle is good sport during the lockdown., but a bait box is probably the best way to go. They like getting under decking, so you may have to fix that for future

Last edited:
Be really friendly to one of them and offer him food. When he goes to tell all his mates you're a soft touch and fetch them round, stop putting food out so he looks like a right lying twat to his mates. That'll teach him a lesson.
I seen that program as well.

Was starting to think of maybe getting a cat/dog (kids being going on about it for ages), but it's big commitment and not had one before.
Weird thing is, there used to be loads of cats coming through the garden. But not seen any in ages. Just when you need em!
Rats have killed them.

Back