Getting in to playing at an older age

people dont do that with bats anymore. they just leave them until they look like they are falling to bits and then bring them to me to fix them up!
Yeah, I can believe that. I've seen the state of some of our young 'un's bats.

Luckily for him, he always had the fall-back of my old faithful, which I looked after properly for years (about 16 of them). No longer, though, unfortunately. The old 'CF Advance' can advance no more. It's day is done.

Can get right in your head , your cricket bat,
I had one given me by an uncle, it wasn't ancient, but it was an oldish one forget the make, it had been well looked after and I carried on looking after it.
A lad I played with was always sort of wanting the latest, bat, gloves pads etc...no problem, but he once forgot his bat and borrowed mine, hit 40 odd...(Yea I know but you have to understand the standard we played at)...asked to swap bats...I was up for it, his was a fair old step up tbh....He was convinced it was the bat...I thought he was daft...as it panned out..He was daft

Yeah, I can believe that. I've seen the state of some of our young 'un's bats.

Luckily for him, he always had the fall-back of my old faithful, which I looked after properly for years (about 16 of them). No longer, though, unfortunately. The old 'CF Advance' can advance no more. It's day is done.
My dad had a gray nics powerspot that he bought in about 1985. He had it for years, scored 100's with it and looked after it every year etc - once he finished playing gave it to me and first innings i had with it i smashed it on my to a ropey 38 :lol:

Ive still got it in my garage and i'm going to repair it and put it on the wall as a homage to my old man

My dad had a gray nics powerspot that he bought in about 1985. He had it for years, scored 100's with it and looked after it every year etc - once he finished playing gave it to me and first innings i had with it i smashed it on my to a ropey 38 :lol:

Ive still got it in my garage and i'm going to repair it and put it on the wall as a homage to my old man
38 would have got you a standing ovation in the first team I played in mate....

I’m nervous about my first game like. Said to the mrs yesterday I just want to avoid a duck. Even if I get a jammy run off an outside edge before getting out next ball I’d be happy. :lol:
Relax, enjoy yourself, trust your ability and your eyes - and above all, watch the ball onto the bat. You'll be fine.

And always remember that at the end of the day, it's only a game.

I’m nervous about my first game like. Said to the mrs yesterday I just want to avoid a duck. Even if I get a jammy run off an outside edge before getting out next ball I’d be happy. :lol:
Plenty of better players than me have fit ducks so it’s nothing to worry about. Happens to everyone at some stage.

Just watch the ball and give it a whack!!

I’ve not played in years and sold all my stuff.

What kit do I realistically need to get back into it?

Trying to force myself to be more social this year. so considering cricket again

I stopped playing for about 8 years, first game back, I dropped a dolly at mid on then got a first ball duck. Took me best part of a season to understand what the fuck was going on.

Plenty of better players than me have fit ducks so it’s nothing to worry about. Happens to everyone at some stage.

Just watch the ball and give it a whack!!
I was once out first ball of the game at Horden - caught and bowled by Steven Ward, who is sadly no longer with us.

Took guard at 2pm and was back in the dressing room at 2:01pm. Spent the rest of our innings lying in the sun in a huff and got sunburnt. Got heckled by the Horden cardboard-cutouts when I was fielding as well. Not a good day at all, but, hey ho, sh!t happens.

Think I got fifty-odd the following week - cricket's like that. You've just got to take the rough with the smooth and enjoy it for what it is.

My worst duck was when we drew a really decent club in a cup competition, the ground was the sheffield equivalent to Lords or summat...sadly named after United...Sheffield United cricket club in the east end of Sheffield, out field was like a billiard table, it had a pavilion insted of a portacabin,
I usually batted 4 or 5 and had opened before when tw*ts who could bat hadn't turned up
I put me argument forward to the captain,
"I turned up last week on a bloody ploughed field out in the sticks, no bugger was bothered, I had to open, today, we play on the best pitch in the league and every f ucker thinks they are Sunil Gavaskar"
He let me open, I walked down about 4 steps from an actual pavilion with a scoreboard, reight nonchanant like, as if I'd opened at Headingly

Second ball bloody duck FFS!

The whole team was in tucks...

Captain..."Well played yer mardy tw*t!"

Back