Getting in to playing at an older age

ah fair enough!! :lol:

The counter balance helped me when i knacked my wrist last season - just made the bat feel a bit lighter.

for me custom made is always the best way to go - some cracking deals out there from smaller bat makers - brilliant value in lower grades that can still play so, so well. I'm a massive fan of the butterfly grades - reasonably priced and can play better than some of the "better" grades.
Yeah, the last two bats I used in anger were custom-made and I always made a point of buying the second from top-of-the-range as in my eyes I was getting 'proven' technology. They were the best bats I've ever used - the first one lasted me about four years, and the second one is still usable now, even though it's around twelve years old. (I'm old-school and know how to look after the bats properly - they used to get an overhaul prior to the start of every season - sanded, re-oiled, bat tape applied where needed, new rubber grips, the works.)

The young 'un had a sponsorship from the same manufacturer (where he basically got bats, pads and gloves at half-price) and we found that the top-grade bats didn't last as well as the ones lower down the range.
just to get your eye in have a try of the batting cages at lane 7 in durham, interactive bowling machine really good fun, i took the bairn, now ive not played competitively for about 20 years now, but was canny junior cricketer and 2nd XI bat, My arrogant self thought id smash it, once it got past the middle speed i couldnt see it, the bairn wiped the floor with me she had it on "pro" and was scoring runs for fun
It looks great, that.

I need to give it a try - if only to see if the glimmers are still up to the job.

Last edited:

I’ve just joined a local club. Going down to meet all the players in a few weeks. Told them I’ve never played before but am keen to get stuck in and learn and they welcomed me with open arms.

Nervous but also excited. :lol:
Keep us updated mate
Guarantee you will be fielding in cow corner , April, freezing, and the first thing you will get is a massive skier...
My advice...Run the other way and "pretend" you didn't pick it up in the light...If its sunny..."Shield"yer eyes, look around frantically

The key tip when fielding is to get yourself in the slip cordon (can work elsewhere on the field) then when the ball inevitably whizzes past you dive knowing you aren’t getting it. You then stay grounded and punch the floor a couple of times to make it look like you really tried and were close to it, alls whilst your mate has chased after it to clean up.
Fine leg both ends (I did this not too long ago...well pre COVID anyway) to avoid any chance of dropping a catch. And I enjoyed the exercise between overs

Yeah, the last two bats I used in anger were custom-made and I always made a point of buying the second from top-of-the-range as in my eyes I was getting 'proven' technology. They were the best bats I've ever used - the first one lasted me about four years, and the second one is still usable now, even though it's around twelve years old. (I'm old-school and know how to look after the bats properly - they used to get an overhaul prior to the start of every season - sanded, re-oiled, bat tape applied where needed, new rubber grips, the works.)

The young 'un had a sponsorship from the same manufacturer (where he basically got bats, pads and gloves at half-price) and we found that the top-grade bats didn't last as well as the ones lower down the range.

It looks great, that.

I need to give it a try - if only to see if the glimmers are still up to the job.
I started my own business after covid refurbing bats - I'd watched my dad do his often enough so gave it a go - into my 4th season i think now - also starting to make my own bats. Hopefully have my own range out soon.

I started my own business after covid refurbing bats - I'd watched my dad do his often enough so gave it a go - into my 4th season i think now - also starting to make my own bats. Hopefully have my own range out soon.
Can you drop me a DM with the name of the business and your website, if you have one, please?

I'm sure our young 'un would be interested in buying his bats locally - especially if there's a SMB discount to be had.😉

just to get your eye in have a try of the batting cages at lane 7 in durham, interactive bowling machine really good fun, i took the bairn, now ive not played competitively for about 20 years now, but was canny junior cricketer and 2nd XI bat, My arrogant self thought id smash it, once it got past the middle speed i couldnt see it, the bairn wiped the floor with me she had it on "pro" and was scoring runs for fun

That machine isn’t one to build confidence on mind! Fires it at your toes at about 100mph… not what the lad needs as a gauge of playing against trundlers in Div 6 😉

We had about 4 bats in the kitbag to share between about 7, a few had their own, one helmet , if you wore that everyone took the p*ss, apart from the time we played Sheffield caribbean in a cup competition, they had a lad who was over visiting relatives, had played for Trinidad and Tobago seconds, you ought to see the scrabble for the helmet after his first over had come down, like rats fighting in a sack.
Its amazing the difference ONE player can make in the lower leagues.
We had a South African doctor play for us for 3 seasons, we went up 3 divisions, he left, we went back down to where we started in 3 seasons.
His first game he got 70 out of the 120 odd we scored, we were looking like losing, and someone asked him if "He turned his arm over"..He did...took 6 for 20...Funnily enough he never pushed himself forward, simply loved playing the game...He must have absolutely been howling with laughter inside tho.
It doesn't matter what level you play at as long as you enjoy the game
Fine leg both ends (I did this not too long ago...well pre COVID anyway) to avoid any chance of dropping a catch. And I enjoyed the exercise between overs
You would have had plenty more exercise at fine leg if you had our wicket keeper mate,

Last edited:
Went down to meet the captain today at my new club. Lovely bloke. Gave him a hand repairing the nets for a couple of hours. Season starts May 4th. Can’t bloody wait.

He even gave me some free pads and gloves. I just need a box, cricket shoes and a helmet.
And a bat, don't forget a bat.

Out of everything you listed it's your most important piece of defensive equipment, as well as being useful for scoring the odd run now and again.

Yes he said I could probably borrow a bat as they’re expensive but apparently people can be quite precious about handing their bats out.

🤣
Aye, they're not cheap - never have been really, unless you buy one from one of the small, independent makers.

Use good quality bat/linseed oil and knock it in properly (I prefer the wooden bat mallets rather than the ball on a stick type) and you'll reap the benefits.

Yes he said I could probably borrow a bat as they’re expensive but apparently people can be quite precious about handing their bats out.

🤣
I never lend mine out. Did it a few years ago and came back looking like it was used to knock fence posts in. Never again.

There is some value to be had in lower grade bats but some of the higher grades are hideously expensive. Ask around at your new club I’m sure someone is flogging a bat.
Aye, they're not cheap - never have been really, unless you buy one from one of the small, independent makers.

Use good quality bat/linseed oil and knock it in properly (I prefer the wooden bat mallets rather than the ball on a stick type) and you'll reap the benefits.
Bat wax is a decent option nowadays. More difficult to over oil using it.

Never heard of it, never mind used it.

I'll let our young 'un know (he's the only 'active' player in our household now).
I make my own and sell it in tins - basically its linseed oil and bees wax melted together - you can oil your bat with it but you can then buff it to a shine - just easier to use as a product than standard linseed oil.

Back