GCSE study leave

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Fletch, May 17, 2018.

1. Fletch

Fletch Striker

When I was at school we only went in for our exams , rest of time was our own to study or piss about whatever .
    Daughters school in Sunderland is insisting all pupils go in even though on non exam days there’s hardly any lessons if any , seems bit daft IMO when could be spending that time in library .
    No exam tomorrow (had one today) but meant to go in but only one lesson on and that’s PE?! I’m tempted to phone in with a sick excuse so she can go library , obviously if I thought she would just be pissin about then I’d feel different .
    Just wondering what other schools were doing while GCSEs were on

2. AndrewP

AndrewP Striker

They're a month earlier these days, maybe that's why?

3. mcq10

mcq10 Striker

Kids have too many distractions to study these days in a lot of cases

Also, it helps if subject teachers can help the kids with that bit of extra revision and keep them focused.

4. MackemBob

MackemBob Winger

I’m guessing they’ll be revising at school. Canny handy.

5. becs

becs Striker Contributor

My eldest got told off for calling it x-box leave :lol:

SAFCOldie, Arkle, alisafc and 4 others like this.
  6. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

The teachers can’t win can they? :lol:

7. I used to go in for a game of cards or darts in the common room

8. Hmm.

If they did this when I was at school it would have had a negative impact on my Goldeneye skills.

Doberman likes this.
  9. Angelos

Angelos Midfield

I remember going on study leave but certain teachers putting on optional sessions which went down quite well. I reckon no study leave is a missed opportunity, they’re 16 they need to start learning how to manage their time

10. kingmonkey

kingmonkey Winger

Remember it well.
    The literature I was studying at home didn't nothing for my results and resulted in a lot of Kleenex meeting a sticky end.

Maxnormal and Some Random Guy like this.
  11. Fletch

Fletch Striker

"free lessons" so in ideal world yes study but most the kids just piss about

12. alisafc

alisafc Central Defender

You think that's bad, my son's school are doing revision sessions on a Saturday morning! Apparently it's not compulsory but they get wrong if they don't go to at least one of them.

13. mcq10

mcq10 Striker

What school?

Schools can’t win. Put on extra revision classes they get hammered, if they didn’t they would get hammered :lol:

The Sheepfolds End likes this.
  14. gardni

gardni Midfield

this was just introduced for my year, all previous years had proper study leave. They basically argued that if we went on study leave, we'd do anything but study. Probably right in hindsight.

15. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Could have been worse...

At least he kept it clean!

becs likes this.
  16. Fletch

Fletch Striker

thats a good idea mate IMO... my daughters school wants them in but theres no lessons on or owt, just seems pointless and waste of time that could be spent studying

alisafc likes this.
  17. alisafc

alisafc Central Defender

It's staindrop near bishop Auckland. They've had a few bad Ofsted's and the last few English and maths GCSEs haven't been great so I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind it. I imagine the teachers aren't paid any more for it, just a shame they can't fit it in during normal school hours but the whole new exam changes seem ridiculous to me . I'm glad I'm not doing them nowadays . It's a lot of stress to place it all on the last month of their school lives rather than modules

Ahh I thought you meant like revision lessons, I'd agree with you There

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  18. Doberman

Doberman Striker

we didn't get free lessons until A Level. I seem to remember we worked up until the beginning of the exam period and then we were only required to attend school for an exam so if we only had an exam at 1pm on Tuesday, 1pm on Wednesday and 9am on Friday then we'd only be in school at those times on those dates. I think. :lol: 10 years this year since I sat my GCSEs so it's a bit of a blur now.

kids don't revise (in general) when left to their own devices, no pun intended. The high achievers would revise but that probably covers about 5% of the cohort. The rest would be plugged into their xboxes and social media for the duration.

19. Should be in til half term

Boooooooo

Bad teachers volunteering their time for free to help kids get good exam results booooooooo

20. alisafc

alisafc Central Defender

Err where did I say that?