Gateshead

That club ceased to exist in 1973, they were followed by Gateshead United from 74-77, when they went tits up the current. Gateshead was founded
I am fairly sure they played in a top with a single green and red stripe.
Interesting debate and understandable that Gateshead, near the stinking overcrowded Unethical Metropolis of the Toon, may attract slightly more Scum Supporters than Sunderland, probably even more so when the Heed are doing well, we all know that most Mags are merely Glory Hunters desperate for any kind of Trophy!!!

Similarly, South Shields which is nearer to Sunderland attracts more Sunderland Supporters than Bar Codes as Occasional Supporters. I am hoping the Mariners make the play offs and will be following them more so than the Gatesheed Baldies.

As a Complete aside, I remember the trains from Sunderland to the Land of Darkness being packed with our magnificent Red and White Brethren when Blyth Spartans played Wrexham in the F.A.Cup, February 27, 1978.....It seemed all the North East were supporting Blyth that Evening.....Oh Yes and they got beat Too....It's the North East way!!!!!

Ha'way the Lads....Up The Pools.... and for me, occasionally... Ha'way the Mariners!!!
If Blyth had not been robbed at Wrexham, the qf would have been at Roker

Last edited:

Canny brutal the play offs start in 3 days like, know the national league has a weird system for it but still
Its to do with hiring Wembley. The Vase and Trophy Final are on May 11th and the Womens FA Cup Final is the 12th and then there are the EFL play offs, the FA Cup Final and the Champions League final which will need at least to week for branding by UEFA. The only date available for the National League Final was the 5th May.

Its harsh on Gateshead as they are now faced with two more games (if they are lucky) in the next 6 days and both away. Tall order to get promotion from here but they have the players and ability to do it.

Good win today and they could meet Bromey in the Final so have maybe put a marker down.
How does it work again? Play off semis for 4-7 then play winner of 2 v 3?
Its 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th in the Quarter final then the two winners play a one off semi final away to 2nd and 3rd,

Last edited:
Its to do with hiring Wembley. The Vase and Trophy Final are on May 11th and the Womens FA Cup Final is the 12th and then there are the EFL play offs, the FA Cup Final and the Champions League final which will need at least to week for branding by UEFA. The only date available for the National League Final was the 5th May.

Its harsh on Gateshead as they are now faced with two more games (if they are lucky) in the next 6 days and both away. Tall order to get promotion from here but they have the players and ability to do it.

Good win today and they could meet Bromey in the Final so have maybe put a marker down.

Its 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th in the Quarter final then the two winners play a one off semi final away to 2nd and 3rd,

Away to both 2nd and 3rd?!

What’s the council done like? Not really savvy on Gateshead fc
Refused the club a security of tenure. I have no time for Gateshead as it’s a mag enclave but this is absolutely farcical and not fair on those fans and players who’ve gave everything. Although the national league should perhaps bump another side into the play off, giving Solihull is a bye is crazy. The whole football pyramid from champions league to national league is in need of serious repairs.

Refused the club a security of tenure. I have no time for Gateshead as it’s a mag enclave but this is absolutely farcical and not fair on those fans and players who’ve gave everything. Although the national league should perhaps bump another side into the play off, giving Solihull is a bye is crazy. The whole football pyramid from champions league to national league is in need of serious repairs.
Hopefully the local Gateshead lot vote with their heads in the next election for the council.

Would be the only way they would care

To be fair you could say the clubs outside the playoffs didn't earn the right to be there

No idea what the council's intentions are with the stadium or why they won't commit to a 10 year tenureship. But that's heartbreaking for the fans, players and staff. Almost makes you wonder what the point of carrying on is.
I said it in jest but it would suprise me if the council doesn’t want to be a part of the mag band wagon

Back