Gateshead

I’ve never really been tempted or wanted to attend a Gateshead match. I find calling themselves the “heed” is as cringey as mags calling themselves “toon” and always associated them more with Newcastle.

Weird that mags would go and watch them in Newcastle colours like, although they’ve been spotted at plenty of our games doing the same!
Each to their own marra. Personally I watch a lot of local football and find these teams have their own identity. The progress they’ve made at Gateshead is phenomenal and they are up there on merit.

The bairn plays for the youngins and gets a free season ticket,he's been to the odd game and said they sing anti Sunderland songs and it's full of mags.

Loads of our fans go to Gateshead games

Aye, said this on another thread he’s a very good coach.

Not sure he’d ever be accepted here mind.
Very true. Whenever the boy and me go an watch them I recognise a fair few Sunderland fans who I know from watching us.
The bairn plays for the youngins and gets a free season ticket,he's been to the odd game and said they sing anti Sunderland songs and it's full of mags.
Never ever heard an anti Sunderland song at a Gateshead game. They do sing plenty and a lot of it is self deprecating against their own town in an ironic way. It really isn’t full of mags mind.

Last edited:
Rancid patter from them that.

Awful awful place to watch football. Miles away from the pitch.
If is a surprisingly excellent view of the pitch. Much better than sitting behind the goal in a PL stadium. My problem is the crush at half time under the stand. Worse than the SOL.
It’s not ideal but any other option is a million miles off at present.
It will probably never happen.

Very true. Whenever the boy and me go an watch them I recognise a fair few Sunderland fans who I know from watching us.

Never ever heard an anti Sunderland song at a Gateshead game. They do sing plenty and a lot of it is self deprecating against their own town in an ironic way. It really isn’t full of mags mind.
Well I have dropped them off before and there was plenty of Newcastle tops about

I wonder what they sing about ?

How ironic, and typical, that when Gateshead dropped out the league the Mags didn’t vote for them to stay in.
Correct that Newcastle voted them
out and Sunderland voted they stay in. This is still remembered by the older generation. Plenty of Sunderland support in Gateshead, Blaydon ,Felling and South Tyneside over the years.Living in enemy territory.

I never considered them a real club. They play at that weird stadium with no atmosphere.

I consider South Shields to be more important.

Correct that Newcastle voted them
out and Sunderland voted they stay in. This is still remembered by the older generation. Plenty of Sunderland support in Gateshead, Blaydon ,Felling and South Tyneside over the years.Living in enemy territory.
In 70s 80s 90s the ghead safc branch took full 50 seater buses away most games starting at central club on high street fact . It was known for the night out on return home stopping off in a town for a night on drink . I was one of them on those buses best away days of my life with lads whom came from bensham . Low fell . Leam lane felling . Swallwell ect ect still lots of us going but most if not all want ghead fc to do well bar if they play us . Everyone new about the ghead away bus those days .

GATESHEAD WAS COUNTY DURHAM.

Ps when ghead got voted out league and goons did not vote alot of ghead lads started going to roker i new many elders who did this as a kid they would not give them over the water time of day . How times have changed look at them now mostly ex goons with a few ghead red n whites going

Last edited:
In 70s 80s 90s the ghead safc branch took full 50 seater buses away most games starting at central club on high street fact . It was known for the night out on return home stopping off in a town for a night on drink . I was one of them on those buses best away days of my life with lads whom came from bensham . Low fell . Leam lane felling . Swallwell ect ect still lots of us going but most if not all want ghead fc to do well bar if they play us . Everyone new about the ghead away bus those days .

GATESHEAD WAS COUNTY DURHAM.

Ps when ghead got voted out league and goons did not vote alot of ghead lads started going to roker i new many elders who did this as a kid they would not give them over the water time of day . How times have changed look at them now mostly ex goons with a few ghead red n whites going
I worked at Davy Roll from 85-90 (with Geordie Newman) and went on a couple of aways with them.
Quite a few of the older heads and several younger lads there were Red and White to my amazement.
I remember Geordie telling me about a Red and White Night they had at The Central Club, Ken Knighton was the special guest and commented that he thought there'd be more there so Geordie took him out onto the High Street and pointed out St.James's within walking distance.

Mainly mags but there's a sprinkling of lads fans who go and watch them.

I remember a couple of years back at a service station a minibus full of Gateshead fans starting on a group of Sunderland fans there so for that reason I hope they don't go up.

Their hardcore support will no doubt not care less about us or them.

Back