Gareth Thomas rugby player hiv positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just oblivious, but whats the stigma around hiv that gay people face in this day and age?

I don’t suffer from it so I’m nee’ expert, but there’s still lots of ignorance out there about the condition. Even I was guilty of that until recently.

The fact people feel the need to hide it is evidence enough for me. Some people still make moral judgements about how HIV was contracted. How many people know about undetectable viral loads and the fact that an undetectable carrier can’t pass on the virus?

Gareth’s able to reach a whole new demographic with information like this. Can only be good.

I don’t suffer from it so I’m nee’ expert, but there’s still lots of ignorance out there about the condition. Even I was guilty of that until recently.

The fact people feel the need to hide it is evidence enough for me. Some people still make moral judgements about how HIV was contracted. How many people know about undetectable viral loads and the fact that an undetectable carrier can’t pass on the virus?

Gareth’s able to reach a whole new demographic with information like this. Can only be good.
People hide it? As in don't get treatment?
Indeed- was more reflecting his seemingly growing anger- perhaps he’s got a lot going on- in regards to this rugby player- he knew the risks but still sad news- one day sexuality wont even interest people- you’ll just be a caramel coloured neutral
It is extremely sad and to think some sicko tried to use it to blackmail him is awful.

Last edited:
No, they get treatment but keep the diagnosis a secret from even their closest family and friends.
Righto. So the stigma a person may feel is catching the virus through having sexual activity with somebody of the same sex and that non-homosexuals will think that its just part and parcel of their lifestyle choice?

No, they get treatment but keep the diagnosis a secret from even their closest family and friends.

Do you think Thomas standing up in front the media is a good thing overall.

100% a good thing, there’s no question.

The OP’s idea that it’s doing more harm than good is a bit bizarre to be honest.
Righto. So the stigma a person may feel is catching the virus through having sexual activity with somebody of the same sex and that non-homosexuals will think that its just part and parcel of their lifestyle choice?

I’m not even talking about sexuality here. I’m not sure gay people necessarily face more stigma than straights when it comes to HIV.

Last edited:
100% a good thing, there’s no question.

The OP’s idea that it’s doing more harm than good is a bit bizarre to be honest.

Well the OP is currently banned so, i think we can move on from that and discuss the issue in the correct way, i agree with you to be honest it takes someone in the media eye to step forward before the rest follow, and to be honest when i saw this on the news earlier, according to them the news had gone down well on Social Media, so i suppose they were talking about twitter etc, HIV and Aids are a illness that doesn't get the levels of attention that it used to, because cancer has taken its place, to a certain extent, but its good for people who have it who maybe apart of the LGBT comminity who suffer from it, or those who aren't but have got threw needles etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Not entirely sure but it looks like the op got clubbed with the ban hammer ?
I don’t think it will have been for out malicious, his posts weren’t too bad. They are still there.
It’s probably for his own good that the mods give him 24hrs off or summit. He’s been getting flak from all over.

definitely a good thing. imagine the amount of people he's inspired (a person in this thread as well) to just be themselves and raising awareness that HIV isn't the disease that it once was. apart from that I bet he feels a massive amount stress has been lifted from his shoulders.

definitely a good thing. imagine the amount of people he's inspired (a person in this thread as well) to just be themselves and raising awareness that HIV isn't the disease that it once was. apart from that I bet he feels a massive amount stress has been lifted from his shoulders.

Indeed, and in this day and age its possiblity easier for him to bring it to the attention of the media, as we are a lot more accepting in most cases these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it.

I just completed a large charity event with someone that cried. I cried a bit too. He was a cancer survivor diagnosed at the age of 15. What do we think of him? He's not famous or anything. Just completely inspirational.

Don't think the OP was getting at that specifically. I'm non reactionary most of the time when you see people crying on TV - seems like everybody does it. I've been through a bit and never cried for 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back