Gareth Harte

WCC

Central Defender
Left the club with immediate effect.

“I now believe it is the right time to step away from the professional game and explore new opportunities here in South Africa. I will remember my time with Durham fondly and wish everyone within the club the best on and off the field.”

Last edited:

He had just signed a new deal, club announced it end of season

Durham Cricket are delighted to confirm a number of players have committed their futures to the club by agreeing new deals ahead of the 2021 season. Chris Rushworth, Brydon Carse, Alex Lees, Matthew Potts, Gareth Harte, David Bedingham and Matt Salisbury have all put pen to paper on new deals at Emirates Riverside. With Michael Jones, Jack Campbell and Oli Gibson agreeing new rookie deals.

did you see him play often?

1st class average of 28.59 perfectly fine for where he batted.

41 average in 1 day cricket, which is good

T20 average was shite but I'm not arsed about that.

Proven useful on numerous occasions with the ball.

I think he'll be a miss.
How can you expect teams to get big scores when you think averaging less than 29 is ok

How can you expect teams to get big scores when you think averaging less than 29 is ok

He was batting all over the place at times. I'd take that every single time for anyone batting 4 or below which Harte did.

You have to remember you thought 27 wasn't good enough for Pringle who batted at 7...........

Not really sure what you expect to be truthful.

If you're expecting 400/500 off Durham then it's simply not happening

Last edited:
He was batting all over the place at times. I'd take that every single time for anyone batting 4 or below which Harte did.

You have to remember you thought 27 wasn't good enough for Pringle who batted at 7...........

Not really sure what you expect to be truthful.

If you're expecting 400/500 off Durham then it's simply not happening
Won't win many games then

A thin batting line up just got thinner.

More than adequate squad player, not everyone is going to average 45+ with the bat and sub 30 with the ball.

It's just a shame he couldn't have played against Derbyshire at Ch le St all the time. In 2018 his 114 against them was one of the most gritty and determined centuries I've seen from any Durham player since 1992 and helped set up a highly unlikely win and then in 2019 took 4-15 clean bowling all his victims with remarkably fast deliveries.

I will be sorry to see him go and wish him well in his future plans.

Won't win many games then

If you're openers are averaging 35 and your 3-6 are averaging 30 (200 runs), then the tail chipping in with some runs, we would be doing a lot better than we have for many years. 280-300 consistently would win games in division 2, no problem at all.
looking back on 2019

we batted 25 times that season and our average innings score was 242 which meant we got the 2nd lowest batting points that season in the league

the team who won the league batted less than us, and averaged 303 per innings.

so far to say if we could just add a few extra runs based on those averages I said are more than acceptable, we would win more games and we would be challenging at the top. we were only 31 points behind 2nd place. fine margins really.

Last edited:
Perhaps he wanted to bat at 3 long term? Or atleast in the top 5? Maybe with Borthwick coming back he felt like that means he’s unlikely to end up doing that. Maybe other batsmen have been confirmed as coming?

I’ve no idea, just thinking in print. As others have said, a more than useful player for where we are at present.
If you're openers are averaging 35 and your 3-6 are averaging 30 (200 runs)

Might want to check your working out marra ;)

Unless you’re counting 10 extras by that point :D

Last edited:
Might want to check your working out marra ;)

Unless you’re counting 10 extras by that point :D

Possibly taking into account the likelihood of some no balls courtesy of any opposition Indian bowlers.

When we're eventually allowed back let's have one of those hooters at the Riverside to signal any no balls (possibly situated on the Co Durham Upper:D)

Back