Gaming pc help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add as fun as building is if you want something quick get a prebuilt.

Everyone says building your own is better and it is but as I've found with my new build it's extremely frustrating if you receive DOA parts.

Also if you do go down a building route choose a MOBO with debug leds will make your life much easier when the PC doesn't post.

Honestly, not as bad a people think. Ryzen 3600 and 1660ti would cover it, software from OBS (free) and Nvidia NVENC can encode.
A quick check, and it looks about £800 for a PC you can build yourself. Don't be shy, it's pretty easy to put together:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£156.97 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£120.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£60.81 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XLR8 Gaming OC Edition Video Card (£252.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (£73.08 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £809.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-01 20:48 BST+0100

Are the B550 motherboards out yet? If so, worth a look as they'll support the next 2-3 generations of AMD CPUs - easy upgrade path.
Just to add as fun as building is if you want something quick get a prebuilt.
Everyone says building your own is better and it is but as I've found with my new build it's extremely frustrating if you receive DOA parts.
Also if you do go down a building route choose a MOBO with debug leds will make your life much easier when the PC doesn't post.
Back in the day when I knew 10 other people who built PCs, between us we always had enough spares to build a couple of machines between us.
So we could test which part was DOA - without it you're right, its very hard to know what is broken if the thing doesn't boot up.
A place that builds but lets you customise is a good alternative for a few extra quid. At least you know the motherboard or the PSU isn't total shit.

Last edited:
Are the B550 motherboards out yet? If so, worth a look as they'll support the next 2-3 generations of AMD CPUs - easy upgrade path.

Back in the day when I knew 10 other people who built PCs, between us we always had enough spares to build a couple of machines between us.
So we could test which part was DOA - without it you're right, its very hard to know what is broken if the thing doesn't boot up.
A place that builds but lets you customise is a good alternative for a few extra quid. At least you know the motherboard or the PSU isn't total shit.

Thankfully I took my own advice. But over lockdown I've received 4 faulty parts.
1 mobo
2 PSUs
Now my bloody Ram is faulty.

At least I know the CPU is working. It passes that led no bother 😂

Just praying it isn't the DIMM slots of the mobo or it's back to the drawing board

Reactions: PTR
Gaming isn't using 32GB RAM any time soon.
not so sure about that i have noticed my memory usage gradually going up, especially if multitasking. It's just a bit short-sighted and limiting to me. I don't see the point in a micro motherboard unless your building a micro system, particularly when you can get even x470 boards for a similar price with way better expandability and VRMs etc.

Ryzen 4000 will be the last gen of AM4, they will probably be switching over to ddr5 after that. The reason I don't like pre builts is because they tend to use shitty PSUs. They have to cut costs somewhere and its normally no name PSUs and memory they use. Normally the configurators just let you change GPU hard drives etc.

Thankfully I took my own advice. But over lockdown I've received 4 faulty parts.
1 mobo
2 PSUs
Now my bloody Ram is faulty.

At least I know the CPU is working. It passes that led no bother 😂

Just praying it isn't the DIMM slots of the mobo or it's back to the drawing board

Where the hell have you been ordering parts from lol, wouldn't take too much notice of the error codes tbh they can be pretty inaccurate. I have a dodgy stick of RAM here I can put in my system and it posts fine, then a few minutes after windows loading it will hard lock.

not so sure about that i have noticed my memory usage gradually going up, especially if multitasking. It's just a bit short-sighted and limiting to me. I don't see the point in a micro motherboard unless your building a micro system, particularly when you can get even x470 boards for a similar price with way better expandability and VRMs etc.

Ryzen 4000 will be the last gen of AM4, they will probably be switching over to ddr5 after that. The reason I don't like pre builts is because they tend to use shitty PSUs. They have to cut costs somewhere and its normally no name PSUs and memory they use. Normally the configurators just let you change GPU hard drives etc.

Where the hell have you been ordering parts from lol, wouldn't take too much notice of the error codes tbh they can be pretty inaccurate. I have a dodgy stick of RAM here I can put in my system and it posts fine, then a few minutes after windows loading it will hard lock.

Bloody PC world. I hate using them but only place that had stock over lockdown.

I've since ordered RAM from elsewhere but it came as part of my speaker case order which only PC world had in stock 5 weeks ago.
Bloody PC world. I hate using them but only place that had stock over lockdown.

I've since ordered RAM from elsewhere but it came as part of my speaker case order which only PC world had in stock 5 weeks ago.

Error codes are useful though. I'm talking pre post. At least you can get to windows so you know straight away CPU and graphics card aren't at fault

Last edited:
im keeping an eye on hot uk deals etc now for some parts, I currently have a 3700x in a b350. I want a second machine, so I'm going to re use those parts for that and get a 4000 once those are released along with a x570. Going to treat my self to a next gen GPU once they are released to go with my VR. Seriously considering building a custom water loop. Got a nice deal off amazon on RAM already and just ordered a case from overclockers.

Unless I was making a significant saving I don't think I would order from anywhere else than overclockers or amazon, never had a issue with Amazon replacing parts and overclockers support have always been spot on. Overclockers also have a pretty gd clearance section where they sell B stock returns. Before the apocalypse they were having a clear out and you could message them offers for stuff on the forum. I got an immaculate rx590 for about £100.

Looking on pc world hasnt even crossed my mind.

Reactions: PTR
im keeping an eye on hot uk deals etc now for some parts, I currently have a 3700x in a b350. I want a second machine, so I'm going to re use those parts for that and get a 4000 once those are released along with a x570. Going to treat my self to a next gen GPU once they are released to go with my VR. Seriously considering building a custom water loop. Got a nice deal off amazon on RAM already and just ordered a case from overclockers.

Unless I was making a significant saving I don't think I would order from anywhere else than overclockers or amazon, never had a issue with Amazon replacing parts and overclockers support have always been spot on. Overclockers also have a pretty gd clearance section where they sell B stock returns. Before the apocalypse they were having a clear out and you could message them offers for stuff on the forum. I got an immaculate rx590 for about £100.

Looking on pc world hasnt even crossed my mind.
Overclocker's B grade is a great place to look. Great site, really looks after their customers. Also, haribo ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back