Future Internationals at The Riverside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan11

Winger
From the ECB -

ECB today confirmed a programme of international matches at the Emirates Durham International Cricket Ground for the 2013-2016 period.

Durham will stage a NatWest Series fixture against Sri Lanka in 2014 and New Zealand in 2015 followed by an Investec Test match against Sri Lanka in 2016. The club will also host an Investec Ashes Test match and a NatWest International T20 against Australia later this summer.

England’s NatWest International T20 against India next year and the NatWest Series fixture against Australia in 2015 have been returned to ECB by Durham CCC. These matches will both be re-awarded to other international venues following a competitive tender process overseen by the ECB’s Major Match Group, which is an independent advisory body.

ECB Chief Executive David Collier said: “Today’s announcement is in line with Durham’s long-term business plan and means that the club will host an optimal number of major matches over the four-year period while allowing the North East region to continue to benefit from regular international cricket.”

Why have we had to give up two matches though?

Don't make enough money it seems.
That would be my take on it. Also I dont think that we have the administrative setup to cater for both our own county and the needs of the ECB. It puts unnecessary strain on it.

Looks like they've fallen flat on their arse.

Obsessed with this Ashes test, they've taken on these big loans which have to be paid back. Now they can't afford any other big games (SL will be as big as it gets).

Maybe they will focus more on domestic matters now.

Looks like the club is up a certain type of creek without a paddle. It can't make money from international cricket or domestic cricket, and is currently debt ridden.
So the big tests and odi look like they will be returning to the traditional major six test grounds in the country which will keep those counties as the financial power houses.
Then you look at our domestic cricket, it just appears twenty/20 does not work up here. I have been to these matches at Chelmsford and Hove and the atmosphere is electric with packed houses.
I remember going to the C&G semi finals against Essex the year we won the trophy then the following year against Kent, I thought the place would be packed but to be honest there was not any more people there than if we played Yorkshire on a sunny day.
My big concern as far as the actual cricket goes is that it looks like we will have to keep reducing the wage bill on the playing staff with the debts we have. That could mean that some of the more powerfull counties will be able to offer our younger players such as Stokes, Borthwick much more lucrative contracts than we can. I would think the club have worked out a figure where they would like the players wage bill to be at at the end of this season and probably more importantly at the end of the 2014 season. We got a points reduction for going over the £1.8 million salary cap i bet the club are looking to have that nearer the £1 million mark in eighteen months time when most of the big contracts are finished.

Looks like the club is up a certain type of creek without a paddle. It can't make money from international cricket or domestic cricket, and is currently debt ridden.
So the big tests and odi look like they will be returning to the traditional major six test grounds in the country which will keep those counties as the financial power houses.
Then you look at our domestic cricket, it just appears twenty/20 does not work up here. I have been to these matches at Chelmsford and Hove and the atmosphere is electric with packed houses.
I remember going to the C&G semi finals against Essex the year we won the trophy then the following year against Kent, I thought the place would be packed but to be honest there was not any more people there than if we played Yorkshire on a sunny day.
My big concern as far as the actual cricket goes is that it looks like we will have to keep reducing the wage bill on the playing staff with the debts we have. That could mean that some of the more powerfull counties will be able to offer our younger players such as Stokes, Borthwick much more lucrative contracts than we can. I would think the club have worked out a figure where they would like the players wage bill to be at at the end of this season and probably more importantly at the end of the 2014 season. We got a points reduction for going over the £1.8 million salary cap i bet the club are looking to have that nearer the £1 million mark in eighteen months time when most of the big contracts are finished.

The semi you mentioned was on a midweek.

Also, whether people like it or not the major market for T20 was for football fans to get pissed in the sun cheap during the summer. It was £6 during the first season. DCC now charge £20 and it's basically back to the cricket lovers - Durham's fault with the pricing, nowt to do with the market.

Also, whether people like it or not the major market for T20 was for football fans to get pissed in the sun cheap during the summer. It was £6 during the first season. DCC now charge £20 and it's basically back to the cricket lovers - Durham's fault with the pricing, nowt to do with the market.

I agree. Im a massive cricket fan but not huge on the 20 20 stuff, can't see myself paying 20 quid. Why does it have to be so high? Tickets for a fiver on a Friday night would fly off the shelves and people could go down Chester for a few after.

Yes both semis where, and there was no great increase in the crowd than the usual people you see down there at normal matches. The Essex game in particular was probably the biggest match in the clubs history and the sport loving public of the north east did not turn up.

As far as twenty/20 goes in the first season a lot of clubs where not sure it would work including us. But it took off straight away, grounds where packed. As you say tickets at Durham where £6 but to be honest Durham where giving away that many freebies you would probably have to live on Marsden rock not to get one. Yet still the Riverside was half empty.

My point about the club is that the traditional big test counties will continue to make big money from internationals. Then clubs like Essex,Sussex and Somerset make fantastic profits on twenty/20 as every game at the grounds are packed. Have you seen the profits Somerset have announced over the past 4 or 5 years. I fear that these clubs will be able to offer our star young players much better contracts than we will be able to in the future.

Is the ground in at the right place for T20 fans? Its canny for those that want to go in the car but for people wanting to go on the lash, unless you live within a few miles and can walk or get a taxi, its difficult to get to.

I agree. Im a massive cricket fan but not huge on the 20 20 stuff, can't see myself paying 20 quid. Why does it have to be so high? Tickets for a fiver on a Friday night would fly off the shelves and people could go down Chester for a few after.

T20 needs a total revamp in the UK.

A move to franchises would bring more TV and sponsor monies.

9 teams with 2 overseas and 8 from each county per team in an 18 man squad. Counties to be paired ie Durham and Yorkshire, Derbys n Notts etc.

Each franchise plays 4 homes and 4 aways with all games live on SKY.

2 homes a piece.

T20 is boring here atm. Notts n Somerset, for example only have to turn up to qualify for the QF's.

I'm a big cricket fan but the T/20 format is my least favourite form of the county game. I suspect a big portion of the home croud is made up of supporters like myself who attend because it's "our local lads" playing. I'd hate to see it go the way of football with a team made up of mainly "foreigners" and a token local lad thrown in.

Ticket pricing must play a massive part in the attendance figures with so many games played in a short period of time, I can imagine fans picking one game to watch for £20 instead of maybe 2 or 3 games if the price was £8-10. Bigger crouds means more beer and food sales, although seeing how the club seem to farm those out to contractors I wonder if the club actually benefits from the food and drink sales if its a large croud, or do they just get a set amount from the venders regardless?

Either way it doesn't seem to be the cash cow the ECB thought it would be.

Is it not just time to accept that it isn't the number one sport like over in India and get on with it.

I'm a big cricket fan but the T/20 format is my least favourite form of the county game. I suspect a big portion of the home croud is made up of supporters like myself who attend because it's "our local lads" playing. I'd hate to see it go the way of football with a team made up of mainly "foreigners" and a token local lad thrown in.

Ticket pricing must play a massive part in the attendance figures with so many games played in a short period of time, I can imagine fans picking one game to watch for £20 instead of maybe 2 or 3 games if the price was £8-10. Bigger crouds means more beer and food sales, although seeing how the club seem to farm those out to contractors I wonder if the club actually benefits from the food and drink sales if its a large croud, or do they just get a set amount from the venders regardless?

Either way it doesn't seem to be the cash cow the ECB thought it would be.

More i think the cash cow the counties thought it would be. The ECB got the format spot in the first season it was an short mid season jamboree. Then the counties saw the crowds insisted that more matches where played and they over egged the pudding and it became to long and tedious.
It is the same with the champions league trophy in India. It was the counties who insisted that the season start earlier so they could take part in that when our season should still be going on. This has resulted in the ridiculous situation when counties have played a quarter of their county championship matches in April. Then in mid summer they play to many twenty20 matches.

Clearly the T20 needs to be revamped and clearly Durham CCC need to promote themselves more. Hardly anyone in the County knows when Durham are playing as their marketing is poor.

Clearly the pricing structure is also wrong. A T20 game should be no more than say £10 for an adult and say £4 for a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back