Funny Names for things you've never heard for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

The chariot(bed)
The feather(bed)
Kettle(watch)
Jerkin(jumper)
Damp down(lag the chariot)
"Courting" always gets a chuckle off the young lads.
TBH I use all of the above still ,mainly to confuse people younger than thou.
Jerkin is still a favourite of mine...which no one ever uses these days. My Mam always used to ask if I was putting a jerkin on when I went out. But it was a jacket not jumper. :lol:

Is ganzee not a jumper? I'm the product of a mixed marriage (Sunderland/Newcastle) so it gets a bit confusing!
I think to qualify as a jerkin it would have to have a zip :)
Ah that could be it. Plus my Mam was from Newcastle with delusions of grandeur. :lol: San fairy Ann (corruption of the French for it doesn't matter apparently) was another one of hers.

Last edited:
Is ganzee not a jumper? I'm the product of a mixed marriage (Sunderland/Newcastle) so it gets a bit confusing!

Ah that could be it. Plus my Mam was from Newcastle with delusions of grandeur. :lol: San fairy Ann (corruption of the French for it doesn't matter apparently) was another one of hers.
Yes Ganzee or maybe more correctly Gansey is a jumper. I believe it came from the jumpers fishermen wore which could be used in the worst case to identify them. It was more of a North Yorkshire thing but originally from Guernsey ( hence Gansey) or so I was told!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back