FTTP speeds / Ping

The

Winger
Any clue as to what Ping times I should be seeing with Vodafone on FFTP? Got a 910mb connection and whilst generally I do get that speed or near too it my ping times are only marginally better than my old FTTC shit I had with Sky?

Any comparisons with other FTTP providers welcome.

Over wifi using wifi6 mesh Using speedtest.net / Wildcard Networks in Newcastle I get 30 Ping and 855MB download speed. Best I can get is Vodafone Watford with 19.

Last edited:

Any clue as to what Ping times I should be seeing with Vodafone on FFTP? Got a 910mb connection and whilst generally I do get that speed or near too it my ping times are only marginally better than my old FTTC shit I had with Sky?

Over wifi using wifi6 mesh Using speedtest.net / Wildcard Networks in Newcastle I get 30 Ping and 855MB download speed. Best I can get is Vodafone Watford with 19.

WiFi is the problem. Your pings will be about the same as the interference around your house will be the same as the last provider.

You should measure it with a hard wired connection, then you would see the difference.

Also, a ping time is all relevant, it depends what server you are pinging, where its located and what the peering is like between your ISP and that location.

If it's for gaming where you need a decent ping, hard wire it or look into better routers.

I get the same ping on virgin media, using my mobile, it's connected to 5g on my aftermarket Asus router like. So with that being said what you are seeing is almost definitely the limitations of the WiFi as already mentioned. I suspect fttp will be less than half that with a wired connection
Edit my wired Nvidia shield is showing 25 using the same testing app🤣

Last edited:
out interest how long did it take from the fibre going in the street to it being turned on? I must have one of the last streets to get done in Sunderland and I am sick of maxing out at 35mb on ADSL

This is my result with youfibre on my phone.

Logon or register to see this image

This is my result with youfibre on my phone.

Logon or register to see this image
Very similar results here connecting to a Dublin server.

Think I need to run a traceroute
I didn't realise with FTTP when you have an ONT you do not actually need to use a router with a modem, such as the shite ISP's provide. You can just connect your own router to the ONT via your routers WAN port, put in your ISP log in details and VLAN ID and you're golden.

I didn't realise with FTTP when you have an ONT you do not actually need to use a router with a modem, such as the shite ISP's provide. You can just connect your own router to the ONT via your routers WAN port, put in your ISP log in details and VLAN ID and you're golden.
wtf

Last edited:

Back