From the cricket archives: Horden

Greener done the after dinner circuit as a compare iirc

He certainly did. He used to live next door to my uncle in Ch le Street and was a character even when he was young!

I used to watch him play for CLS in the late 70s when Wasim Raja was the pro but havent seen him for years..think the last time was in the High Crown in CLS when he was making plans for the 2007 Final at Lords.

He certainly did. He used to live next door to my uncle in Ch le Street and was a character even when he was young!

I used to watch him play for CLS in the late 70s when Wasim Raja was the pro but havent seen him for years..think the last time was in the High Crown in CLS when he was making plans for the 2007 Final at Lords.

Going back to around 1990 he done the presenting for our juniors presentation night. I won quite a few things as a 15yo back then and can remember he saying 'this lad obviously has a future in the game'

How little he new.......:lol:

Hope that’s correct as I am sure I read somewhere he had passed would be nice to be corrected
I'm talking a few years back. Last time I saw him was end of 2018 season enjoying corporate hospitality courtesy of Fosters lager at the Riverside. Haute cuisine -self-service pie and chips.
About 6 months ago Mike Amos had a photo on his daily blog of Dave addressing a Durham breakfast club.

My dad played for Horden for a few years. Probably mid-late eighties, I know a few of the lads that still play at the minute.

Played for Blackhall for 8 year me, but stopped playing at 18. I'm 26 now.

Think I can remember him doing a routine at Houghton CC after a game early 90s he was a good turn as well

@Greavsie and my good self normally found something to watch most nights defo a big miss be dark before/if we get back

Yep deffo. Whilst there’s a lack of quality 1st team midweek cup action, there is plenty to watch . Take in games from U11s up, just to get cricket fix during the season.

Watched 50 odd games last season on top of what I played in

Sounds about right. They had a benefactor for a while, until his money stopped flowing in.
I think he used to ‘import’ goods 😜😜
I’ve had a chat with my cousin who loves his local cricket and he reckons Greener wasn’t the only ex-Chester le Street cricketer who played for them at the time.

I’ve had a chat with my cousin who loves his local cricket and he reckons Greener wasn’t the only ex-Chester le Street cricketer who played for them at the time.

I think the benefactor was a keen cricket fan who for a while put money into Clara Vale. Once his money dried up, so did the influx of ‘paid’ players

Back