From the cricket archives: Horden

Horden seemed to be in the Echo every night when there were an amazing, endless programme of cup ties.

Remember my late school years and then when I first started work the Echo from May until August was just chocker with local cup ties.

It seemed like every bloke ever connected to cricket had a Cup named after him :lol:

Must say mind, that’s something I’m missing probably the most, not being able to rock up at the cricket club any night of the week at five to six to watch a game.

Remember my late school years and then when I first started work the Echo from May until August was just chocker with local cup ties.

It seemed like every bloke ever connected to cricket had a Cup named after him :lol:

Must say mind, that’s something I’m missing probably the most, not being able to rock up at the cricket club any night of the week at five to six to watch a game.

Grew up watching cricket on the night in cup ties at Horden, great times, some Friday night games had very good gates as well.

40p an adult to get in and 20p a child😀

Last edited:
Played against them in the mid-70s a few times - different league. I was in the Coast league. Went there one night and Tony Govier was playing. he had played at Blackhall. He scored 50- odd coming in late and then took 9 for next to nowt.

Recognise most of the blokes on there. They seemed to be in a cup final every Sunday towards the back end of the season. I'm undoubtedly biased but best cup team I've seen in that late 80s early 90s period
Yeh, won trophies galore, played almost every evening and bar takings must have been great. But were they not a 3 man team. Hill and Parry opening the batting, Ward and Parry doing the bowling?

Yeh, won trophies galore, played almost every evening and bar takings must have been great. But were they not a 3 man team. Hill and Parry opening the batting, Ward and Parry doing the bowling?

Absolutely not,batted all the way down, Stuart Wilson, brilliant opening bat, John Pendlington brilliant cricketer, as was Paul Matthews, not to mention people like Colin Spanton, who batted and bowled,still a fair few cups in them days where you had to use 5 bowlers which they done equally as well in, always had a good overseas amateur as well;)

Paul Hodder was a exceptional one.

Club was thriving in the bar like.

Last edited:
Absolutely not,batted all the way down, Stuart Wilson, brilliant opening bat, John Pendlington brilliant cricketer, as was Paul Matthews, not to mention people like Colin Spanton, who batted and bowled,still a fair few cups in them days where you had to use 5 bowlers which they done equally as well in, always had a good overseas amateur as well;)

Paul Hodder was a exceptional one.

Club was thriving in the bar like.
Obviously they had strength in depth otherwise they wouldn't have been so strong in the league. I was referring specifically to local cup cricket when in those days only the Armbrister was 5 bowlers iirc. Routinely Ward and Parry would bowl throughout, Hill and Parry invariably open, dominate with Parry almost always there at the finish.
Pendlington was certainly a fine cricketer as was Mathews but didn't he move out of the area when comparatively young?

Obviously they had strength in depth otherwise they wouldn't have been so strong in the league. I was referring specifically to local cup cricket when in those days only the Armbrister was 5 bowlers iirc. Routinely Ward and Parry would bowl throughout, Hill and Parry invariably open, dominate with Parry almost always there at the finish.
Pendlington was certainly a fine cricketer as was Mathews but didn't he move out of the area when comparatively young?

Side point but I hate two bowler cups.

Leaves a high chance that lads turn up just to field and at first team level it also lets a pro dominate too much.

Yeah Matthews did move out of the area when young ,was a big miss, he hit the ball very hard really quick scorer, Armbrister was the league cup competition that was 5 bowlers, but they was a few other cups Horden entered that were 5 bowlers that they regularly got to finals off, The Alcan that turned into the justsport where only teams that finished in the first four or five of their league could enter was one of them with the final played at Jesmond ,and they was a few others as well, mind Horden entered about 13/14 cups each year back then mind!

It’s not over the top either to say regaurly reached 6 finals a season, with a high percentage coming out on top.

Horden were a good league team in those days but a exceptional cup side, regular had players coming in 7 or 8 who were very good club cricketers, Dave Greener, Peter Nord, Ian Grint to name a few.

The craic in the dressing room with the likes of Greener, Patterson and Ward was class anarl!

I do agree in two bowler competitions Ward and Parry did bowl throughout and were very successful, but guess my point is they were far from a 3 man side. Seem to remember Wilson opening as much as Hill but it is getting on for 30 years ago!

Maybe that’s why I like 20/20 soo much mate

As a 16 to 19 year old remember watching Chris Tavare bat in the test matches in the afternoon, then on the night went to watch Horden with Parry and co in them cups and I clearly remember what I enjoyed the most😁

Last edited:
Yeah Matthews did move out of the area when young ,was a big miss, he hit the ball very hard really quick scorer, Armbrister was the league cup competition that was 5 bowlers, but they was a few other cups Horden entered that were 5 bowlers that they regularly got to finals off, The Alcan that turned into the justsport where only teams that finished in the first four or five of their league could enter was one of them with the final played at Jesmond ,and they was a few others as well, mind Horden entered about 13/14 cups each year back then mind!

It’s not over the top either to say regaurly reached 6 finals a season, with a high percentage coming out on top.

Horden were a good league team in those days but a exceptional cup side, regular had players coming in 7 or 8 who were very good club cricketers, Dave Greener, Peter Nord, Ian Grint to name a few.

The craic in the dressing room with the likes of Greener, Patterson and Ward was class anarl!

I do agree in two bowler competitions Ward and Parry did bowl throughout and were very successful, but guess my point is they were far from a 3 man side. Seem to remember Wilson opening as much as Hill but it is getting on for 30 years ago!

Maybe that’s why I like 20/20 soo much mate

As a 16 to 19 year old remember watching Chris Tavare bat in the test matches in the afternoon, then on the night went to watch Horden with Parry and co in them cups and I clearly remember what I enjoyed the most😁
is that THE Dave Greener?- only remember him at Ch-le-St.
Paul Hill also moved away from the club when quite young so Wilson may well have replaced him.

is that THE Dave Greener?- only remember him at Ch-le-St.
Paul Hill also moved away from the club when quite young so Wilson may well have replaced him.

It certainly is :D , yeah Greener played at least a couple of seasons for Horden, he came from Chester, very funny bloke and another good club cricketer who could bat and bowl, Wilson was there before Hill, and another very good opening bat, and yeah you right Hill moved away later on through work.

Not sure mate, but would not surprise me as very funny guy.

Think I can remember him doing a routine at Houghton CC after a game early 90s he was a good turn as well

@Greavsie and my good self normally found something to watch most nights defo a big miss be dark before/if we get back

Last edited:

Back