From a St Mirren fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate of mine is a die hard St Mirren fan. Asked him for his assessment, in particular whether any manager could have had them promoted etc. This was his reply:

"You will not regret this appointment. He is a great manager. And if he wants to sign Stevie Mallan from Barnsley reserves let him get on with it. He's a great creative midfielder and dead ball deliverer who was appallingly underused during the Barnsley melt-down.

We are a well run club but we still have no money. In his 18 months, Jack didn't pay a single transfer fee, had to let last year's best player (Mallan) leave and this year's (Morgan) leave as well (albeit back to us on loan until the league was won). He benched the league's surprising top scorer (Reilly) at Christmas to bring in a new striker (Mullen) who was less surprising but more likely to score without the element of surprise. Oh, and Mullen came initially on a fee free pre contract followed by an accepting the inevitable from...... Livingston who, even without him, ended up second to us in the league.

He thinks strategically, is great with the fans, and reads the game in play brilliantly. Of all the Saints managers I've seen, the only comparator appropriate is Alex Ferguson.

And, finally, he's chosen cleverly with you. A play off place is par, a promotion better and a title, barring relegation, a guarantee of another two years whatever.

He could have gone to Ipswich and hung about mid table until they got bored. He didn't.

He will have a project with your team. I wish him well."

A mate of mine is a die hard St Mirren fan. Asked him for his assessment, in particular whether any manager could have had them promoted etc. This was his reply:

"You will not regret this appointment. He is a great manager. And if he wants to sign Stevie Mallan from Barnsley reserves let him get on with it. He's a great creative midfielder and dead ball deliverer who was appallingly underused during the Barnsley melt-down.

We are a well run club but we still have no money. In his 18 months, Jack didn't pay a single transfer fee, had to let last year's best player (Mallan) leave and this year's (Morgan) leave as well (albeit back to us on loan until the league was won). He benched the league's surprising top scorer (Reilly) at Christmas to bring in a new striker (Mullen) who was less surprising but more likely to score without the element of surprise. Oh, and Mullen came initially on a fee free pre contract followed by an accepting the inevitable from...... Livingston who, even without him, ended up second to us in the league.

He thinks strategically, is great with the fans, and reads the game in play brilliantly. Of all the Saints managers I've seen, the only comparator appropriate is Alex Ferguson.

And, finally, he's chosen cleverly with you. A play off place is par, a promotion better and a title, barring relegation, a guarantee of another two years whatever.

He could have gone to Ipswich and hung about mid table until they got bored. He didn't.

Brilliant post mate

Ask him if he fancies supporting SAFC and joining this board, we could do with a few more thoughtful, reflective adults on here.

:lol::lol:

"

All encouraging stuff but I'd take issue about the above. Like it or not we are going to be strong favourites for just about every game we play next season.

I expect us to win automatic promotion, that for me is par, not the play offs. Forget humility we shouldn't be anywhere near this league and I expect our stay in it to be very short lived.

This is not arrogant - we should graft 100% to achieve our aim but make no mistake SAFC being in the third tier is unacceptable.

Sounds canny if you are comparing him with Sir Alex.

All encouraging stuff but I'd take issue about the above. Like it or not we are going to be strong favourites for just about every game we play next season.

I expect us to win automatic promotion, that for me is par, not the play offs. Forget humility we shouldn't be anywhere near this league and I expect our stay in it to be very short lived.

This is not arrogant - we should graft 100% to achieve our aim but make no mistake SAFC being in the third tier is unacceptable.
We are about 15 players short of a squad. You need to get real

Very encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Could never understand why Mallan was so underused at Barnsley. He played on Boxing Day and scored (his only full appearance iirc). Scored some absolutely cracking goals while at St Mirren as I'm sure your marra would have told you. I'd have him in a Sunderland shirt next season no problem.

Tell ya marra, thanks ......

& to fuck off ;)

Deluded! To be fair you should all of been saying and thinking that this time last year as well but has taken to drop to league 1 for you to do so. It's the first time I've ever read any ambition and arrogance from a Sunderland fan. Last year it was all we can remember compete with Leeds villa. Little old Sunderland etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back