Frank Zappa

Cheesy Feet

Striker
Never really heard owt by him but his videos have been appearing on my Facebook feed..I’ve watched half a dozen or so and I’ve got to say I’ve never heard so much shite in my life..any fans on here..am i missing something??

It depends what sort of music you like. If you don't like rock, he probably isn't for you.

FZ was a fantastic guitar and had a series of amazing bands - but that is where he and I part company. A lot of his music reflects his world view and (so called)sense of humour, which personally I can do without.

Have a look on YouTube for Hot Rats. For me that's his best album.

If you don't like the song Montana then boy you ain't even alive
Zappa made a lot of money taking the piss out of people who liked to be wound up. Easy targets really, women, gays, religion but in between them he wrote some incredible music such as Inca Roads, Hot Rats and even stuff like Sheik Yerbouti . From blues rock to classical pieces I can't think of a musician with a wider range. From the 'off the wall' albums I like 'You Are What You Is' And I like Hot Rats and Freak Out/Absolutely Free for his musicianship.

A debt of gratitude is due too I think for defending freedoms in music in front of Congress with Dee Snider and John Denver.

I loved the fella.

No mate. He’s absolutely awful. Really awful. It’s jazz wank
Just read that he released 62 albums and since 1994 the Zappa estate have released another 64..126 albums..i mean haway..he’s just been recording any old shite.
Well considering you went to see Extreme the other night, I’d say aye.
Charlatans Friday night..Extreme on Monday..preferred the Charlatans like.

Last edited:
As usual, I'm with Neil Kulkarni...

1. The Entire Recorded Works of Frank Zappa​

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch...c58-c2d4-4e21-ba33-4af32f4776cc_1011x1011.png
Do I forgive him for his sterling work with Beefheart, Shaggs, and against the PMRC? Fuck no, Zappa’s discography is one of the most worthless in music and his smart-arsed cynicism, sneering snobbish hatred of pop and contempt for seemingly anyone apart from himself and the similarly revoltingly virtuosic acolytes in his bands makes him an artist I have never been able to stomach. I’ve tried multiple entry points but I can’t get past that hateful snark. What happens when music is dominated by f***ing musicians. All of the live footage I’m earnestly pushed towards by Zappa fans always emerges as the most contemptible plank-wankery, devoid of joy, dedicated only to an endlessly egotistic proof of technical ability. It’s not just that I hate him , I like plenty of pop smart-arses — the clever-clever nauseatingly over-egged SOUND of most Zappa is utterly emetic to me, and should be to any pop fan. Flush this shit. Forget this cunt.

Back