Footballers you met who left a bad impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevos

Winger
Following on from the other thread.

I'll start, Brian Atkinson. We were once watching the same school footy match, I was about 10. Not knowing any better, I went and asked for his autograph. He said he wasn't Brian Atkinson and had never heard of Brian Atlinson, while him and his dickhead friends laughed - made feel a right tit in front of my mates. He didn't even correct the joke either, he just left it at that. Nob.

Following on from the other thread.

I'll start, Brian Atkinson. We were once watching the same school footy match, I was about 10. Not knowing any better, I went and asked for his autograph. He said he wasn't Brian Atkinson and had never heard of Brian Atlinson, while him and his dickhead friends laughed - made feel a right tit in front of my mates. He didn't even correct the joke either, he just left it at that. Nob.
My son had Brian Atkinson as his coach at Darlington Academy some years ago. He came across to me as a really nice guy and the kids really liked him.

I met Leighton James in a Newcastle pub many years ago, out with his mrs. I sheepishly started to make conversation with him and he just silently stared at me like I was shit on his shoe. I doubt if anything I burbled was remotely interesting, but in hindsight I wished I'd slapped the smug, rude bastard's dish.

1968 when Man City won the league at SJP on the last day of the season, went down to the 5 Bridges Hotel in Gateshead to get City players' autographs. Colin Bell came out on crutches and signed a few as did most of the other players. Mike Summerbee deserved a mention in the other thread as he was class. He went for a walk around the town centre with about a dozen kids listening to everything he said - great bloke.

Then Francis Lee and this nobody left winger, Tony Coleman, whose job was to make up the numbers in an otherwise great team, came out of the hotel. We all asked for autographs but they jumped in a sports car and said "When we come back". On their return Lee was true to his word and signed, but when I approached Coleman, he just said "Piss off" and ran unto the hotel!

Micky Gray shouted at me saying ''can nobody hold a f***ing pen around here?'' when I dropped a pen getting his autograph :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back