Florida

Flights connect at Philadelphia or Atlanta? Been looking myself for next August and this option is coming up regularly in my searches.
We’re flying direct from Gatwick. BA had their sale on, and the price was very good compared to what Skyscanner was coming up with.

Why are the queues for immigration so long?
You get several flights from the UK land about the same, and if you’re last in, it’s not unheard of to take 3 hours to get through US Customs

Last edited:

There’s always the option of flying into Sanford which is pretty quiet compared to MCO. I’ve heard that MCO are trialing a system where you can go straight through immigration if you providing you’ve been in the last 5 years and still have the same passport. You just go straight through to the retinal scanner and if it gives you the go ahead your passport is stamped without being checked.

We’re flying direct from Gatwick. BA had their sale on, and the price was very good compared to what Skyscanner was coming up with.

Gatwick flights don't link well with Ncl though.

Just keeping my eyes on prices regularly and may wait until Christmas sales now. Ideally would prefer to fly through Dublin to do pre-clearance.

Consider flying via Dublin to MCO, you can pre clear US immigration there so when you land you’re pretty much a domestic passenger, get off the plane, get your luggage and go.

Use Lyft instead of Uber, it’s pretty much the same thing but a little bit cheaper.

Driving is mental and Magic Kingdom is an endurance test rather than anything like enjoyable. I f***ing hate it. I was there on wednesday and after the crush on the bridge watching the fireworks it took two hours to get to the car.

Buggies and mobility scooters everywhere. They just let too many people in.

Having said that some places are just brilliant.
And you can’t getting a pint in the magic kingdom like you can the other park. Didn’t mind it to be fair but it had barely changed since I was a kid, with fastpasses we pretty much done the whole thing in one day.

One thing I couldn’t get me head around was the fuss for the 7 dwarfs mine train thing, 2-3 hours wait and times and it was fuckin shit.

Last edited:
Consider flying via Dublin to MCO, you can pre clear US immigration there so when you land you’re pretty much a domestic passenger, get off the plane, get your luggage and go.

Use Lyft instead of Uber, it’s pretty much the same thing but a little bit cheaper.

And you can’t getting a pint in the magic kingdom like you can the other park. Didn’t mind it to be fair but it had barely changed since I was a kid, with fastpasses we pretty much done the whole thing in one day.

One thing I couldn’t get me head around was the fuss for the 7 dwarfs mine train thing, 2-3 hours wait and times and it was fuckin shit.

Aye. Much like the Avatar boat ride I'd have gone barmy queueing that long for it.

The new Harry Potter stuff seems very well done, although I'm not an expert as I don't read books for children and slow adults.

One hundred and fifteen dollars for an adult Hogwarts School Cloak mind. It might be shite but I wish I'd thought of it.
I'm now waiting at the 'irish' pub in Universal for the horror night to start.

The surrounding airports are good if you want to save a few quid and don't mind a drive at the other side. Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.

Aye. Much like the Avatar boat ride I'd have gone barmy queueing that long for it.

The new Harry Potter stuff seems very well done, although I'm not an expert as I don't read books for children and slow adults.

One hundred and fifteen dollars for an adult Hogwarts School Cloak mind. It might be shite but I wish I'd thought of it.
I'm now waiting at the 'irish' pub in Universal for the horror night to start.
That avatar boat ride was horrendous, had a fast pass for it but when we arrived it was a 20 minute wait so we just queued for that and used it on summit else, I’m relieved, what a pile of shit that was. We went back just to go on flight of passage, waited 95 minutes which was quite short really considering weekend before it had been 240 minutes! That was worth the wait, unreal.

The Harry Potter stuff is superb like, so well planned out and designed, all the rides are great too.

It's shit for adults mate, but just had my girl on it Monday, she thinks she is so cool cos she's done her first "rollercoaster". Magic kingdom is for under 10s and sentimental parents..

The surrounding airports are good if you want to save a few quid and don't mind a drive at the other side. Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.

If you're intending to go to Orlando, I wouldn't fly to FLL or MIA. FLL - the closer of the two - is 200 miles from Orlando and a lot of that is I-95, which is a really unpleasant drive a lot of the time. Tampa's reasonable, though, as it's an easy drive across the nowhere of central Florida. Then again, I don't get the appeal of Orlando at all, let alone flying 4000 miles to get there.

If you're intending to go to Orlando, I wouldn't fly to FLL or MIA. FLL - the closer of the two - is 200 miles from Orlando and a lot of that is I-95, which is a really unpleasant drive a lot of the time. Tampa's reasonable, though, as it's an easy drive across the nowhere of central Florida. Then again, I don't get the appeal of Orlando at all, let alone flying 4000 miles to get there.

It's only a few hours. No big deal. People from round here often have to drive to Manchester or summit anyway to go to MCO.

Miami was very bad for the immigration when we used it a few years ago mind. Took hours to get through it.

Good idea. Much faster? Didn’t see what the domestic queues were like.

You don't queue on arrival for anything other than your cases/bags. The plane arrives into terminals that are domestic arrivals so no immigration / passport to go through. I used it last year when heading to New York and it was a godsend.... shame my flight out was delayed 3 hours though as it meant the saved immigration time was wasted ha ha!!!!

It's only a few hours. No big deal. People from round here often have to drive to Manchester or summit anyway to go to MCO.

4 hours of I-95 is not how I'd imagine starting and ending my vacation, but to each his own. To put your proposal to fly into Miami into perspective, it's basically the same distance and drive time as proposing to fly into D.C. if you want to go to New York. Makes sense if you're saving 1000 pounds or something, but it's a pretty big annoyance to a lot of folks.

Back