Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd not do the dolphin bit, is it still worth going without that? Is there much to do that makes it worth going there for an extra $100 compared to just having another day at Typhoon/Blizzard beach?
I know plenty will disagree but personally, I enjoyed swimming with the Rays and other fish much more than the dolphin swim which was too stage managed and over with in seconds. Discovery cove is the theme park I enjoyed most and I've been to them all numerous times over the years. Hope you enjoy!

I know plenty will disagree but personally, I enjoyed swimming with the Rays and other fish much more than the dolphin swim which was too stage managed and over with in seconds. Discovery cove is the theme park I enjoyed most and I've been to them all numerous times over the years. Hope you enjoy!

it makes it because there is space and limited numbers . I loved the ray pool too.

its a classier day out and rather chilled

That's why I don't want to swim with dolphins.

If I'm out at sea, and they are nearby, it would be amazing. If I'm in a tank, with trained dolphins, no -that's just too "wrong".

/says the man who enjoys the shows at seaworld

That's why I don't want to swim with dolphins.

If I'm out at sea, and they are nearby, it would be amazing. If I'm in a tank, with trained dolphins, no -that's just too "wrong".

/says the man who enjoys the shows at seaworld
As soon as you understand how they got there, I hope people have second thoughts.

I won't preach too much, I just hope people who do go, go with their eyes open.

As soon as you understand how they got there, I hope people have second thoughts.

Last time I was in Seaworld, there was a bell ringing in my head the whole time. I know what's infront of me.

Perversely, if not for places like Seaworld, the public wouldn't give 2 shits about these animals tbh. So its a bit ironic.

In Discovery cove they have all been bred in captivity. SeaWorld takes the flak as the biggest operator but the conditions they operate are far better than the hundreds up and down the mexico coast. The ones I saw in captivity there had little stimulation and rather small pools.

The review I wrote of the resort I stayed in scathed the dolphin pools and said it would make me consider booking it again even though the hotel was fantastic

In Discovery cove they have all been bred in captivity. SeaWorld takes the flak as the biggest operator but the conditions they operate are far better than the hundreds up and down the mexico coast. The ones I saw in captivity there had little stimulation and rather small pools.

The review I wrote of the resort I stayed in scathed the dolphin pools and said it would make me consider booking it again even though the hotel was fantastic

They don't have any wild ones from the Japanese hunts because the ones they did have are all dead.

By supporting SeaWorld (and their dubious conditions, captive bred or not) you're supporting dolphin encounters generally and therefore the popularity of the dodgy Mexican ones also increases. The ones that do still partake in the hunts.

I wouldn't do it if it were chimps dancing and having photos taken with me, so it doesn't feel right that it's dolphins either.

I do appreciate however that zoos in general have a place in society and if a dolphin encounter turns a 10 year old into a marine biologist and general dolphin-saver, then you can question the benefit. SeaWorld isn't exactly enough best promoter of wild dolphin or orca ecosystems, mind.

They don't have any wild ones from the Japanese hunts because the ones they did have are all dead.

By supporting SeaWorld (and their dubious conditions, captive bred or not) you're supporting dolphin encounters generally and therefore the popularity of the dodgy Mexican ones also increases. The ones that do still partake in the hunts.

I wouldn't do it if it were chimps dancing and having photos taken with me, so it doesn't feel right that it's dolphins either.

I do appreciate however that zoos in general have a place in society and if a dolphin encounter turns a 10 year old into a marine biologist and general dolphin-saver, then you can question the benefit. SeaWorld isn't exactly enough best promoter of wild dolphin or orca ecosystems, mind.
You're not wrong.

But it is harsh to point at a group who've been a major part of pushing the case for marine animal rights for 50 years. Its just that their own argument has surpassed their reason to exist. I bit like how UKIP need to quit

Going there in 2 weeks time for 2 weeks. Staying in a villa around the Kissimee area. Got our tickets sorted for the parks etc but what are the MUST things to do?

Everglades
Disney
Epcot
Cape Canavral (sp)
Bush Gardens
Fort Lauderdale (sp)
Henry Ford and Thomas Edison's house - bit of culture there

You're not wrong.

But it is harsh to point at a group who've been a major part of pushing the case for marine animal rights for 50 years. Its just that their own argument has surpassed their reason to exist. I bit like how UKIP need to quit
Not sure how they've been pushing animal rights for 50 years? They only stopped partaking in the hunts in the 90s. Of course there are a lot worse out there, but that's the "but Corbyn" argument.

Don' t be fooled - Blackfish and the Cove have gone a long way to helping SeaWorld discover their Animal Rights credentials. The share price has been part of that.

Not sure how they've been pushing animal rights for 50 years? They only stopped partaking in the hunts in the 90s. Of course there are a lot worse out there, but that's the "but Corbyn" argument.

Don' t be fooled - Blackfish and the Cove have gone a long way to helping SeaWorld discover their Animal Rights credentials. The share price has been part of that.

of course once the bottom line was being hit they have changed.

SeaWorld are a million miles from where they were but then again much of the world is different from when SeaWorld was conceived.

I've been going since 1992. They've always been strongly educational and preservation. Its just that times change.

Mistakes have been made, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Visit the British Pub in Disney World. It's hilarious to see what Americans think a British pub is like.
The amount of non-british stuff they sell is annoying too.
I think the lager of choice was stella ffs.

Apparently the chippy is the highest rated counter service food in the whole park though :lol:

Last edited:
Just got back two weeks ago make sure to pack your poncho it pisses down everyday this time of year. Volcano bay is spectacular, make sure you plan a day there when thunderstorms are not forecast as they shut the place down for hours. Universal kicks Disney's arse, my kids are 10 and 5 my little girl(5) could get on almost every ride at universal.

Going there in 2 weeks time for 2 weeks. Staying in a villa around the Kissimee area. Got our tickets sorted for the parks etc but what are the MUST things to do?
Heading there the same time (for 2 weeks as well) if my dad's ribs heal up (otherwise it'll get delayed towards end of the year).

2 weeks is the perfect time for Florida really, there's that much to do. If it's family you're going with and your kids are old enough go on their big rollercoasters. On a different level to the ones in this country and rest of Europe really.

As someone said earlier, have some down time (a couple of days just to chill in the villa) - it's an active holiday with a lot of moving around with all the parks etc

Just got back two weeks ago make sure to pack your poncho it pisses down everyday this time of year. Volcano bay is spectacular, make sure you plan a day there when thunderstorms are not forecast as they shut the place down for hours. Universal kicks Disney's arse, my kids are 10 and 5 my little girl(5) could get on almost every ride at universal.
So many people say this, and I totally disagree.

Admittedly, Disney's Hollywood Studios is on its arse right now, but that's due to massive construction works -its going to be great again when its finished.
But Magic Kingdom, Studios, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizard Beach is enough to base an entire 2 week holiday around.

There's a reason why it has the vast majority of the market share, although Universal is doing really really well these days which is a good thing

And some absolute shite. Stay away from the burger place next to star tours. Worth reading up on some reviews.
Indeed :)

Youtube the DIS Unplugged - they do a full series of best and worst at Disney. Including the different category of foods at each park. I'll be taking a "cheat sheet" so that no matter where we are, we'll be able to either go to pick a good place, or at least avoid the bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back