Flooring - Newbuild

Morny

Striker
Buying a new house and due to move in at the end of the month.

Sorting out own flooring and builders said that we'd be able to get our carpet company to measure when it was signed off (NHBC) which would be a few weeks before completion. That'd give them time to get carpets in time for completion date.

Problem is, sign off isn't actually gonna be until about 5 days before (or 2-3 working days) completion, so very little time to get in, measured, ordered in time for completion so means moving in with no flooring.

Which is frustrating but cannot be helped, assume it's a liability type issue.

But speaking to a few companies, they seem to think the builders are just being awkward and could let them in now if they wanted, which would be perfect.

Anybody know the right answer? Like, my gut tells me that we wouldn't be allowed until signed off for safety reasons, but just thought I'd ask the clever folks on here.

Sorting out own flooring and builders said that we'd be able to get our carpet company to measure when it was signed off (NHBC) which would be a few weeks before completion. That'd give them time to get carpets in time for completion date.

Problem is, sign off isn't actually gonna be until about 5 days before (or 2-3 working days) completion, so very little time to get in, measured, ordered in time for completion so means moving in with no flooring.

But speaking to a few companies, they seem to think the builders are just being awkward and could let them in now if they wanted, which would be perfect.

Anybody know the right answer? Like, my gut tells me that we wouldn't be allowed until signed off for safety reasons, but just thought I'd ask the clever folks on here.
They should let relevant tradies in to measure

Dont see why they can't measure up, although the sizes will be on the floorplan of house type on builders website anyway.... they won't allow them to be fitted because until you have they keys it's still there property and could fall through

I'm ten years in
I just had a good relationship with sales lass and she fought our corner on stuff . Can't remember ins and outs . If you get floor tiles upstairs the house settles mind .

We had the same issue with Charles Church/Persimmon. They’ll use the excuse of health and safety even though we were allowed access several times wearing hard hats.

Prob just want to make it as awkward as possible for you in the hope that you buy their extortionate flooring. I stand to be corrected though.

Dont see why they can't measure up, although the sizes will be on the floorplan of house type on builders website anyway.... they won't allow them to be fitted because until you have they keys it's still there property and could fall through
Yeah, I don't expect them to let us out anything down until we've got the keys. That's fair enough.

But would like to get someone in to measure if enough time so we can get measured, order carpets and get them in stock and book the carpet fitters for day after we get keys.

At this rate, they'll only be measuring a day or two before we get keys, so by time they've got owt in stock it's gonna be a wait.

But if it's a health thing (gotta wait for NHBC signoff) then there's nowt I can do, to be fair to builders. Just the tradesmen im talking to don't seem to think that's accurate

Yeah, I don't expect them to let us out anything down until we've got the keys. That's fair enough.

But would like to get someone in to measure if enough time so we can get measured, order carpets and get them in stock and book the carpet fitters for day after we get keys.

At this rate, they'll only be measuring a day or two before we get keys, so by time they've got owt in stock it's gonna be a wait.

But if it's a health thing (gotta wait for NHBC signoff) then there's nowt I can do, to be fair to builders. Just the tradesmen im talking to don't seem to think that's accurate
If you've got floor plans, there's no need to measure up really. Just over compensate slightly if you're worried.

Why can't they just get sizes off plot plans?-

If you've got floor plans, there's no need to measure up really. Just over compensate slightly if you're worried.
Every carpet company we've spoke to would want to be in and measure themselves. We took them floor plans and they gave us estimates, but they said they wanted to be in to actually measure (said it was due to insurance if they get the wrong amount - they're covered if its them who make a mistake, but not if it's someone else, which an incorrect floor plan would be)
Why can't they just get sizes off plot plans?-
As abive

Every carpet company we've spoke to would want to be in and measure themselves. We took them floor plans and they gave us estimates, but they said they wanted to be in to actually measure (said it was due to insurance if they get the wrong amount - they're covered if its them who make a mistake, but not if it's someone else, which an incorrect floor plan would be)

I have measured myself plenty of times, but not for a full house. I guess you could agree to accept that incorrect measurements are your responsibility.

If not, just get them to supply carpet and arrange your own fitter to collect on the day.

As abive
Just get loadsa dust sheets then morny lad, put the change towards ya 1st gas bill

I Just bought carpets from the developers (which I'll have paid a premium for). But they did allow tradesmen in to measure up for blinds.

Go to Hetton Carpet Mill, they’re spot on in there. They might be able to go off the builders floor plan, and theyve usually told me they only need about a weeks notice to fit.

So is it carpets or flooring or both.
If carpets then the floor plans should be adequate?

When we almost bought an Avant place ( they sold it to somebody else 10 days before move day) I went and met the clerk of works on site and built up a bit of a relationship, he let us come and go as we pleased pretty much.

Back