Flicking the Vs

Does anyone still do it?

There’s something really satisfying about a good old fashioned flicking of the Vs but it seems to be in danger of being replaced with the more prevalent wanker sign or giving the middle finger, which I tend to associate as an import from the US, like the grey squirrel, killing off our V flicking red squirrel.

The V allegedly pre dates the Battle of Hastings in the days when an invading army would chop if the bow fingers of their enemies. The flicking of the Vs was a way of demonstrating that the bowmen still had their fingers, and thus retained the ability to rain arrows down on their foes.
Originated from the 100 years war with France I think, where the longbow men hammered the French, wiping out almost the entire of the French nobility at Agincourt. The French vowed to chop off the two fingers of English bowmen captured, hence sticking up two fingers was a bit off an F off gesture.

Originated from the 100 years war with France I think, where the longbow men hammered the French, wiping out almost the entire of the French nobility at Agincourt. The French vowed to chop off the two fingers of English bowmen captured, hence sticking up two fingers was a bit off an F off gesture.

This.
Nowt to do with the Battle of Hastings as previously mentioned.

I flicked the V just yesterday - to a young assistant in Sainsburys Local when he informed me they were out of IPA . I think he thought I was after 2 bottles - little did he know :)

With you there tex lad.

A common occurrence from me when arguing with the wife, is the auld pretend to rake about in my trouser pocket for something, then pull out my hand tonflash her the V’s

Works every time and usually gets a bite from her :lol:
always a classic and features in my homelife and my workplace

Does anyone still do it?

There’s something really satisfying about a good old fashioned flicking of the Vs but it seems to be in danger of being replaced with the more prevalent wanker sign or giving the middle finger, which I tend to associate as an import from the US, like the grey squirrel, killing off our V flicking red squirrel.

The V allegedly pre dates the Battle of Hastings in the days when an invading army would chop if the bow fingers of their enemies. The flicking of the Vs was a way of demonstrating that the bowmen still had their fingers, and thus retained the ability to rain arrows down on their foes.

Years back was driving for Newsflow in London coming off the top of Commercial st. a couple of lads in a builders van going East wouldn''t let me get over to go North so I cut them up. Cue two East end brikkies both waving double v's at me, looked like they just got out of Wandsworth, waited until the roads split and blew them a kiss. Fucka only drove over the island and started chasing me, my arse was twiching all the way to Kings Cross.

Back