Flexible working for parents is great. But child-free people need it, too

Compare that to my previous experiences, where we would be in the office at all hours to be seen to be working. Pointless meetings, 'catchups', talking absolute shit to each other, enforced fun. Not for me.
That's one of my biggest bugbears, people who want to be seen to be working hard. It was the culture somewhere I worked years ago to work through your lunch and work every hour possible. No attempt to improve processes or find ways to work more efficiently, it was all about being seen .

People with kids should get first dibs on the holidays dates within school holidays though.
Why?
What about someone married to a teacher?
Or someone who wants to go to see the lads on their pre season tour?

I used to get irritated a few years back when I worked in a 'team' with 6 women and one man who always had parental issues, needed to have time off for sick kids and 'work from home' at the drop of a hat The bloke was an events technician, so not sure how he managed that. However, the same attitude never extended to me when I had carer issues/hospital appointments with my Dad, which never seemed fair.

One of them even took issue with how long I had off after my Dad died. Someone had written my date of return on the whiteboard diary we had and the stupid bitch actually added 'allegedly' to it, which I saw when I returned. I was not pleased.

That's one of my biggest bugbears, people who want to be seen to be working hard. It was the culture somewhere I worked years ago to work through your lunch and work every hour possible. No attempt to improve processes or find ways to work more efficiently, it was all about being seen .

I used to get shite for doing what was required and leaving at the earliest possible opportunity. Some people would work weekends when it really wasn't necessary and then not shut up about it all week. You'd see the same people pissing around all day and then have a pet lip on staying until 8pm and being praised for it. Got my back right up man.

Last edited:

Why?
What about someone married to a teacher?
Or someone who wants to go to see the lads on their pre season tour?
The first one maybe the same consideration, the second nah, that’s your choice not a necessity.
I don’t work overtime or weekends like, I just play the single dad card and they daren’t say anything.

The idea that someone can be work shy and it affecting anyone but themselves is alien to me I must admit.

If I don't do my work nobody else is doing it for me and I'll get the sack.

The first one maybe the same consideration, the second nah, that’s your choice not a necessity.
I don’t work overtime or weekends like, I just play the single dad card and they daren’t say anything.

Taking a particular week off with kids isn't a necessity. Kids gets loads of time off so no reason to get first dibs.

Much like flexible working, it's about being sensible and considerate to others. If people did that then it's no problem.

Taking a particular week off with kids isn't a necessity. Kids gets loads of time off so no reason to get first dibs.

Much like flexible working, it's about being sensible and considerate to others. If people did that then it's no problem.
See, I would agree if people were actually considerate. I share a job with a bloke so only one of us can be off, and every year the second the holidays become available he takes the last three weeks of December off, so I’m unable to go to go to the kids Xmas shows, have a shopping day or do stuff with them Xmas week. Last year I got in first and took one off and left him the other two and he was still furious. He’s got no kids, just likes that time sitting at home. This year true to form he’s taken the whole thing without asking.

I’m accessible via Skype or email still.

Its just not as easy for people to be lazy and ask me something because I’m a few desks away.

But quite honestly - once your concentration is broken it can take quite a while for it to get back to the state it was before. It’s not trivial.
I rarely work from home but I had to laugh when a woman a few desks away said, "you've always got your headphones in, I makes it dead hard to get your attention". Ah you've rumbled my cunning plan

See, I would agree if people were actually considerate. I share a job with a bloke so only one of us can be off, and every year the second the holidays become available he takes the last three weeks of December off, so I’m unable to go to go to the kids Xmas shows, have a shopping day or do stuff with them Xmas week. Last year I got in first and took one off and left him the other two and he was still furious. He’s got no kids, just likes that time sitting at home. This year true to form he’s taken the whole thing without asking.
He sounds like a monumental twat. Even if you didn’t have kids, you’d each take turns Shirley.

Doesn’t the person who approves your holidays tell him to fuck off?

That's out of order like. (Kids or not)

I rarely work from home but I had to laugh when a woman a few desks away said, "you've always got your headphones in, I makes it dead hard to get your attention". Ah you've rumbled my cunning plan

Not a fan of people sitting with headphones in. Find it quite rude and unprofessional.

Last edited:
Husband's had the problem before we had kids of being prevented from taking leave during school holidays - thankfully a quick reminder to his boss that he was as tied to school holidays as the parents were because he was married to a teacher got it sorted out straight away - it just hadn't crossed the guy's mind when he was trying to sort out holiday among the team.

Glad that his job now is fairly flexible though (nature of the role means he can work from home or work strange hours fairly easily) - one of our kids has a lot of medical appointments and operations coming up, and I can't work full time because it needs someone to have the option to drop everything when the hospital land an appointment on you at fairly short notice and the like... so at the moment I take the career hit, but I know he can if needed as well when I go back to uni.

Sounds like whoever approves the leave is useless, especially if you have told them.

We're contracted to compulsory overtime to suit the needs of the business, during really busy periods the people with kids just make thier excuses and go leaving the few of us behind to complete the work or lose our jobs. One lad has twice took a week off for paternity leave to go on stag dos during busy periods and work let him because he's 'entitled' it's a complete joke.

I'm such a valuable member of staff that the MD's don't have me included in any holiday rota (they know that if I need to be off for the bairn I'll have to be off etc). I work my arse off for my company and get through a lot of work / achieve good results while I'm there, they look after me and I look after them :cool:.

Back