Flats over looking The Valley

It must be weird living so close to a ground. Imagine what it must have been like for those living next to Roker Park when it was absolutely rocking?

I know lots have said you can hear the roars coming from the SoL as far as Ashbrooke, or at least you could...

I grew up on Southwick Road when they built the SoL, about 10 houses from the end of the road where the stadium is.

Nee idea what it sounded like from outside, because I was inside but it was convenient getting to and from the ground.

It must be weird living so close to a ground. Imagine what it must have been like for those living next to Roker Park when it was absolutely rocking?

I know lots have said you can hear the roars coming from the SoL as far as Ashbrooke, or at least you could...
Always remember my Mam saying she could hear the roar when we beat Oxford 7-0 from the cemetery in Southwick.

She was just visiting for the record and not actually speaking from beyond the grave.

Grew up at the top of Cooper street, 5 minutes walk, and even though I was only a bairn I can remember the roars and the general buzz on a Saturday afternoon. About the same volume as the airshow sometimes.

My grandparents lived at Ripon Street just off the Roker End. When I used to come up for matches I'd leave the house at 2:55 to get to the games (I was a teenager so no pub detours).
The best bit about it was when it was pissing down instead of slopping about in drenched clothes away from the ground I'd leave a game and be in a bath before the players.

If you were within the last 15 minutes before Kick=off, the crowd noise bounced off the buildings at least as far west as the railway and as far East as the coast, and that was just pre-match not goals etc of course. The new stadium can't match that same effect with a modern bowl design.

I used to live in the middle if Sandringham Terrace right opposite the entrance to the fulwell. Used to watch the match from my bedroom window from 5 year old. Was funny watching idiots try and run and jump the turnstiles and smash their heads on the brick wall. Chief steward, grey haired fella, used to let me in at half time. Nice guy.

Was canny when Bowie was on as well. Loads were offering canny money to watch it from my window.

The club eventually built what looked like a monstrosity of an electrical box right opposite which scuppered my view.

You can hear the concerts clearly in Barnes area. Remember sitting listening to Bon Jovi in the beer garden at the chesters

thats true. the wife would comment on it, especially when we score

You would need to get to the top floor and then you would be able to see 2/3 of the pitch
Better than nowt... Are there a few Addicks hanging out of the windows..? . For Oxford away there were a few of our lot on top of a Luton van..! . Got a mention on Quest.... Still don't know why they can let 5k in socially distanced with masks... There's probably more people closer walking around Sainsburys... Can't see this season finishing

Back