Five Trophies and a Funeral

Pre ordered this
Been tonight for a talk by the author about the book and a good Q&A with Rushworth (who says he is very keen on being the new captain). Some interesting talk on what has gone and Rushworth very confident about the new season, also thinks Borthwick and Coughlin will both come back to the club. A good night and a fiver discount off the book.

Got this book on Monday and just finished it and it's an excellent read.
You can virtually divide it into three sections -

The Early Years -which for folk who have read Summers With Durham/From Minor To Major/Durham CCC Past,Present &Future may seem as if it's going over old ground but still brings back good memories.

The Glory Years- nothing needs to be added.:D

When The Shit Hit The Fan- the most interesting part of the book for me and for anyone with high blood pressure I would maybe take it a page at a time!...although it ends with hopes for the future.

Highly recommended.

@sturayner
Due to be talking about #FiveTrophiesAndAFuneral on @BBCLN from 6.30pm this evening, and on @talkSPORT with @tSHandJ around 2.30pm on Thursday.

Stuart Rayner on Twitter

Going to seek the Talksport interview out now, but saw him on BBC Look North and he spoke very well about the club and NE cricket IMO.

The TCCB (as was) only asked for a 'showpiece stadium' ie a decent county ground.
Tom Moffat confirms that Durham weren't told they had to build an international stadium just a quality stadium.

What would be the practical difference? Would still need stands, a media centre and space for parking and food and drink outlets. Durham also needed facilities for players and coaches. The Riverside is nice but it isn't a Wembley or even a SOL.

What would be the practical difference? Would still need stands, a media centre and space for parking and food and drink outlets. Durham also needed facilities for players and coaches. The Riverside is nice but it isn't a Wembley or even a SOL.

True...also in the book Bob Jackson says that as far as he was concerned a showpiece ground meant a top, top ground with 15000 seats.

Virtually finished this now, although I’m finding the final bits hard work as it jumps around all the time (across seasons etc).

It’s an intriguing read and I think it really shows how much the Durham side fucked up the financial side of things. Whilst the punishment was clearly draconian, seems the consensus is that they didn’t cause Durham to overstretch themselves (although that bidding for tests bullshit is exactly that, bullshit!)

Enjoyed it

Back