Fitbit calorie estimate how accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farralad

Winger
Could someone with a bit knowledge explain this for me please.

Fitbit hr reckons I'm burning about 3000 cal a day which seems loads given I've got a desk job and haven't excercised for ages

IIFYM tdee calculator has me on 2100 a day.

If I'm wanting to lose a bit weight do I go in deficit from 3000 which is estimated by Fitbit, or 2100 which is estimated by an online tool.

900 calories between the two is a fair difference.

I just signed up to that IIFYM TDEE and it seems low to me. That one I linked tends to be pretty accurate if you average out your expenditure. i.e. If you do 1 hour of exercise every other day, say you do 30 mins.

All of these things are just guidelines, I'd probably suggest you take the 3k value and eat in a deficit of that for a week or two, tracking everything you have and adjust accordingly.

the IIFYM TDEE is based on the data you input, people can't judge the correct activity level, so the results may vary from person to person, Some think sedentary is sitting on their ass all day watching jezza kyle, while others think a bar job is sedentary. What is active, and what is very active ? It's basically to give you rough idea.

In regards to FITBIT, i swear by the data, and have tested it thoroughly on myself, freinds and family, and 3000+ online clients, all achieving results by lowering calories 500-800 fitbit TDEE .

Without sounding like a prick..... everyone has their own opinion, just mine is backed up with results.

All in all, the best way to do it, is basically start at a near enough range to your TDEE and reduce calories slowly each week until you hit the sweet spot, if you track your calories and macros religiously then you can negotiate your intake the week after to tweak results.

They are both guidelines, as there is way more shit going on in the back ground than just calories in vs out. Medication, stress levels, leptin levels, thyroid, etc, etc.

My advice, Start on 2500 calories, monitor results. Drop calories too low and you will binge and fuck up.

best of luck mate :cool:

P.s keep in mind someones TDEE may seem high to one and low to another. A 5ft 1 female at 120 lbs may have a TDEE of 1700 per day, where as a 5ft 6 woman at 250 lbs TDEE would be 2500.

the IIFYM TDEE is based on the data you input, people can't judge the correct activity level, so the results may vary from person to person, Some think sedentary is sitting on their ass all day watching jezza kyle, while others think a bar job is sedentary. What is active, and what is very active ? It's basically to give you rough idea.

In regards to FITBIT, i swear by the data, and have tested it thoroughly on myself, freinds and family, and 3000+ online clients, all achieving results by lowering calories 500-800 fitbit TDEE .

Without sounding like a prick..... everyone has their own opinion, just mine is backed up with results.

All in all, the best way to do it, is basically start at a near enough range to your TDEE and reduce calories slowly each week until you hit the sweet spot, if you track your calories and macros religiously then you can negotiate your intake the week after to tweak results.

They are both guidelines, as there is way more shit going on in the back ground than just calories in vs out. Medication, stress levels, leptin levels, thyroid, etc, etc.

My advice, Start on 2500 calories, monitor results. Drop calories too low and you will binge and fuck up.

best of luck mate :cool:

P.s keep in mind someones TDEE may seem high to one and low to another. A 5ft 1 female at 120 lbs may have a TDEE of 1700 per day, where as a 5ft 6 woman at 250 lbs TDEE would be 2500.

I take it you're a fitbit fan then? Would you recommend the surge? I mainly run and do insanity style stuff and like to run without a phone so need built in gps and Im not a huge fan of chest straps so would like an optical heart rate monitor. I know they arent hugely accurate but rely on a massive data set but obviously some are better than others and some are far better at guesstimating calorie burn outside of vo2 max. Currently have a band 2 which while technology the most fantastic thing on earth has the build quality of a belfast built cruise liner and the same failure rate.

I take it you're a fitbit fan then? Would you recommend the surge? I mainly run and do insanity style stuff and like to run without a phone so need built in gps and Im not a huge fan of chest straps so would like an optical heart rate monitor. I know they arent hugely accurate but rely on a massive data set but obviously some are better than others and some are far better at guesstimating calorie burn outside of vo2 max. Currently have a band 2 which while technology the most fantastic thing on earth has the build quality of a belfast built cruise liner and the same failure rate.
I've got a fitbit charge 2 and think its topper.

can you see all details on fitbit or do you still need to connect to laptop to see performance?
It syncs straight to my phone app as soon as I open it. See all the results there in real time. I think you might be able to see the results on the Blaze one with the massive watch face. Didn't want one that big tho.

It syncs straight to my phone app as soon as I open it. See all the results there in real time. I think you might be able to see the results on the Blaze one with the massive watch face. Didn't want one that big tho.

tempted to get one to track my progress at the gym. is it smart enough to know when you are on a cross trainer and other machinery? I know that probably sounds daft like.

tempted to get one to track my progress at the gym. is it smart enough to know when you are on a cross trainer and other machinery? I know that probably sounds daft like.
You can set it to "treadmill" and it tracked my distance and other stats pretty much exactly. It has other exercise settings but haven't really looked into it properly yet.

Just checked. Mine has "run" "weights" "treadmill" "workout" "Elliptical" "bike" options.

Last edited:
You can set it to "treadmill" and it tracked my distance and other stats pretty much exactly. It has other exercise settings but haven't really looked into it properly yet.

Just checked. Mine has "run" "weights" "treadmill" "workout" "Elliptical" "bike" options.

thanks. this sounds like the one for me, only downside is the OLED screen will mean it won't be suitable for tracking swimming.

Decent article. So basically, if you wanted to know for proper research reasons it wouldn't be accurate, but if you're just using it for yourself to help lose weight etc... it seems like it's accurate enough, at least in terms of relativity/consistency?

Imagine wearing 12 fitness trackers man :lol::lol:

Aye basically suggesting the reading more than likely incorrect but ok for a comparison Day to day...i.e. "Burned off 1000 calories on this day but same devise shows say 1400 on another day"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back