First visit to the Riverside

FatDrummer

Winger
To my eternal shame I have never been to the Riverside.
So....I have decided to go to one of the days v Worcestershire next weekend (or Monday or Tuesday)
Couple of questions.
I’m looking to pay at the door because I am obviously looking at the best day weather wise...can I just go anywhere once I get in?
What are the bars like on a bog standard Country Championship day?
And....will the club shop be open and just as importantly, can you still buy stuff with a PROPER Durham CCC badge instead of that god awful lion thing?
Cheers lads.

You can go anywhere in the ground that hasn't been fenced off, or restricted too members, corporates etc. Depends on the weather as to where best to go and beware the locals. Some of them seem to believe they have God's right to sit in a particular seat and God forbid anyone who takes it!

There's just the one bar for the general public, which has a cash machine, usually one hand pump and your usual lagers, ciders and Guinness! Do canny food though. Club shop will be open, but depends on whether they've got enough staff to keep it open throughout the day. However, it's always open at lunch and tea. Not sure what stock they'll have, but look out for the bargain rack which usually has last years stock on it. You'll be able to buy this years club digest too which gives profiles on all the players. Enjoy!

You can go anywhere in the ground that hasn't been fenced off, or restricted too members, corporates etc. Depends on the weather as to where best to go and beware the locals. Some of them seem to believe they have God's right to sit in a particular seat and God forbid anyone who takes it!

There's just the one bar for the general public, which has a cash machine, usually one hand pump and your usual lagers, ciders and Guinness! Do canny food though. Club shop will be open, but depends on whether they've got enough staff to keep it open throughout the day. However, it's always open at lunch and tea. Not sure what stock they'll have, but look out for the bargain rack which usually has last years stock on it. You'll be able to buy this years club digest too which gives profiles on all the players. Enjoy!
Cheers @Dougal .....looking forward to it.

As stated there may be some of last season's stock availiable at the club shop (usually to be found on a rail outside the door) but be warned these are usually Small or XXXXL:D.

Since opening in May The Sticky Wicket pub (formerly Austins) seems to have improved food wise and they do a Breakfast between 10-11 as well as usual pub food. There's loads of big screens inside but bear in mind if you go on Sunday and England are in the final it may be canny busy.

You can sit pretty much anywhere save the Members Bar and the Members Balcony but tbh you wont be missing anything with the latter.

Who knows the legendary Trapdoor Stand may be open after housing thousands of supporters in the three WC games but then again I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.:evil:

Last edited:
As stated there may be some of last season's stock availiable at the club shop (usually to be found on a rail outside the door) but be warned these are usually Small or XXXXL:D.

Since opening in May The Sticky Wicket pub (formerly Austins) seems to have improved food wise and they do a Breakfast between 10-11 as well as usual pub food. There's loads of big screens inside but bear in mind if you go on Sunday and England are in the final it may be canny busy.

You can sit pretty much anywhere save the Members Bar and the Members Balcony but tbh you wont be missing anything with the latter.

Who knows the legendary Trapdoor Stand may be open after housing thousands of supporters in the three WC games but then again I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.:evil:
XXXXL you say?.....you’ve seen my username right? :lol:
Probably won’t do the Sunday no matter if England are in the final or not
Cheers mate!

Aye if you’re a big lad you’ll be in luck at the club shop
Challah!....makes a change! :lol:

Last edited:
To my eternal shame I have never been to the Riverside.
So....I have decided to go to one of the days v Worcestershire next weekend (or Monday or Tuesday)
Couple of questions.
I’m looking to pay at the door because I am obviously looking at the best day weather wise...can I just go anywhere once I get in?
What are the bars like on a bog standard Country Championship day?
And....will the club shop be open and just as importantly, can you still buy stuff with a PROPER Durham CCC badge instead of that god awful lion thing?
Cheers lads.

Enjoy it marra. I should be down for that game too :cool:

Last time I was there (RLC), the club shop still had stuff with the old badge.

Sit anywhere,there will be plenty of space. Upper tier County Durham gives the best view imho and you get the sun all day Just a bit of a hike from the ice cream van

CC shirt has the old logo, one day ones don't. Lorimers online used to lots of DCCC stuff but range is very limited now. Glad I got my baggy cricket cap with the old logo last year cos it looks like they've stopped doing it now, just the baseball style with new.

CC shirt has the old logo, one day ones don't. Lorimers online used to lots of DCCC stuff but range is very limited now. Glad I got my baggy cricket cap with the old logo last year cos it looks like they've stopped doing it now, just the baseball style with new.
I’ll go baseball happily so fingers crossed. Cheers mate!

I’ve been to a few of the county grounds and I may be biased but I think it’s a lovely little place. You’ll have a great time. Enjoy.

Does anybody remember that tree growing in the outfield at Canterbury? Didn’t you get awarded a four if you hit it? How bizarre.

I also like Worcester’s ground..

Haven’t been to Lords unbelievably, I d love to see the first morning of an Ashes test there.

I’ll go baseball happily so fingers crossed. Cheers mate!

With the crap logo though.

I’ve been to a few of the county grounds and I may be biased but I think it’s a lovely little place. You’ll have a great time. Enjoy.

Does anybody remember that tree growing in the outfield at Canterbury? Didn’t you get awarded a four if you hit it? How bizarre.

Haven’t been to Lords unbelievably, I d love to see the first morning of an Ashes test there.

Lords is great for the historical aspect, but purely for the purist (not much fun to be had tbh). The full tour is superb and good vfm, but not available on many matchdays.

Last edited:

The Lime tree at Canterbury died a few years ago, so they planted a new one. Doing well by all accounts

I still have a couple of SAFC/Durham badge shirts. If only @Parkmaverick would bring out a new range?

Shipping order from me, if he did

I’m still debating a t20 season card. Starts next Friday but I’ve got other things up in the air at the moment

If not I will get to lancs and the yorkies match, maybe notts to shout at hales and the Indian rope trick

Back