First Time Open Water Swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisLad

Midfield
Does anybody know of any good spots locally or, even better, anything supervised / group based for a first try of open water swimming? Not overly keen on the sea if possible.

I'm competing in my first sprint triathlon in a few weeks and all my training up to this point has been in the pool.

My wetsuit is still on the hanger :oops:

Last edited:

I’ve never done one but I
Know Fausto coffee , Roker , do one every sun morning I think
@D.A

You in a tri club ?

Good luck mate. I'll second the Fausto Coffee shout, I often see them promoting their events on Facebook.

Thanks followed them and going to give it a go probably next month

Not sure. Are you a confident pool swimmer?

Yeah, I just noticed the comment second down on the post which said people should be competent in open water. Sure it'll be fine ta.

Last edited:
Reactions: D.A
Out if interest / nosey ... what sort of distance you doing in pool and pace ?

On Saturday I did 750m with a few lengths (maybe 6?) warm up and a few after too.

Probably about 2:30 / 100m

It's just started to feel more comfortable the last few times with breathing etc. so am looking forward to trying to increase distance this week.

Set of 1000m and 500m done tonight, all at 2:15 pace which I'm chuffed with.

Thanks i'm now going here on Friday morning to get stuck in, can't wait!

Enjoy it mate. I've done some diving in the lake. The bloke who owns the lake told me the water (has to) gets tested regularly and the results show it's better quality than what comes out of taps. Something to do with the gravel bed iirc. Certainly tastes alright, not that I deliberately drank it.

Did you get there? Thoughts?

Yeah brilliant, did 2 laps of the triangle circuit. Definitely much harder than the pool and quite weird in the wetsuit but loved being outdoors.

At the lakes this weekend thinking about having a go in Coniston tomorrow.

Reactions: D.A
Yeah brilliant, did 2 laps of the triangle circuit. Definitely much harder than the pool and quite weird in the wetsuit but loved being outdoors.

At the lakes this weekend thinking about having a go in Coniston tomorrow.

Great stuff, did you notice even if you were treading water you were moving? Bloke reckoned it's the Coriolis Effect in action.

Great stuff, did you notice even if you were treading water you were moving? Bloke reckoned it's the Coriolis Effect in action.

Can't say I noticed this but not to say it's not true as I was definitely concentrating on everything else.

Went in Windermere on Sunday which was good. Great facilities at Fell Foot Park now all geared up for swimmers.

Feeling good about my competition Sunday, just got to work out how I get to Wembley after!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back