First choice spinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not really he has bowled well in helpful conditions his main problem is he doesn't spin it enough on flat/non spinning tracks and although still offers control is very easy to play.

Fair question. I would say in really helpful conditions the chances are we will play the two of them and in conditions not so helpful Swann has proved himself a very effective bowler and huge team player so would always get the nod for me. Another consideration I suppose is the opposition line up and how many left handers they have in their team.

Swann's ability to bat a bit and field well probably gives him the edge over Monty. In most countries we'd play 3 seamers and 1 spinner. Monty would only get in IMO if Swann gets injured or they choose to replace a seamer with him.

I'm not entirely convinced it should be a case of either/or, as has become all too apparent this series, drs is bringing the spinners more and more into the game. Monty's flat straight balls have caused some big problems to Pakistan, who are used to playing spin, and it could be argued that 2 spinners might be the way to go now that umpires are becoming more trigger happy for lbws.

Although we have 3 very good 3rd seamers in Finn, Tremlett and Bresnan, Monty has played such a major role in this series that it's only fair to give him a go at keeping his place.

madness that after a very successful few years two test matches in a series we were thrashed in are enough to have people question swanns place whilst monty has spent years in the wilderness.

epecially as has been pointed out swanns usefulness tot eh fielding and batting.

his wickets always seem to be when people play for spin and are surprised that it doesnt turn as much as they expect.

monty still living off his rep as a great spinner by not turning the ball..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back