Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

Tried film now for about 3 years now, and I get it. There's something about both the process, and the results.

However, I grew up on digital, so I'm used to snapping away and hoping for the best. So, inevitably for every tenner spent on getting a film developed, I might get 2 pictures that aren't shit.

Already sacked off medium format, and now thinking of selling both my film camera and DSLR+lenses, and getting the best digital Leica that'll afford - a M8 or M9.

Thoughts?

I love the idea of film too but I haven't even got the heart to get my rolls developed cos I'm certain they'll be full of shite. I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

Tried film now for about 3 years now, and I get it. There's something about both the process, and the results.

However, I grew up on digital, so I'm used to snapping away and hoping for the best. So, inevitably for every tenner spent on getting a film developed, I might get 2 pictures that aren't shit.

Already sacked off medium format, and now thinking of selling both my film camera and DSLR+lenses, and getting the best digital Leica that'll afford - a M8 or M9.

Thoughts?

What is a digital M8 or M9 going for now?

taipeisafc said:
What is a digital M8 or M9 going for now?

M8s aren't much more than an M6, about a grand ish to £1500, depending on condition. I could sell my M6 body and a couple of SLR lenses so it would 'cost' owt. Seems a fairly flawed camera mind.

Haven't seen any M9s for sale yet. Mental money new, could never justify one.

M8s aren't much more than an M6, about a grand ish to £1500, depending on condition. I could sell my M6 body and a couple of SLR lenses so it would 'cost' owt. Seems a fairly flawed camera mind.

Haven't seen any M9s for sale yet. Mental money new, could never justify one.

I have seen very good reviews on the Fuji X10 and the new one (X1 maybe). I also saw one of the Epson rangefinders bobbing about in Shanghai last week I think they were Voigtlander so a probably very decent - a bit old now mind.

I'd keep the Leica you have because it's a wonderful thing and if you look after it, its value is only going one way too.

Film and digital both have their place, but there is something about film that is always going to be magical to me. I'll shoot film until its impossible to (which I don't expect in the next 20 years, to be honest). I think you would regret it (unless you got another film camera to replace it with).

One of the annoying things about this hobby though is that we are rarely satisfied with the kit we have - we always want to tinker and change. We do get pleasure from new kit but inevitably that wears off after a while and the realisation grows that photography is 90% photographer and maybe 10% camera at most. And we still continue to tinker and change....

I'd keep the Leica you have because it's a wonderful thing and if you look after it, its value is only going one way too.

Film and digital both have their place, but there is something about film that is always going to be magical to me. I'll shoot film until its impossible to (which I don't expect in the next 20 years, to be honest). I think you would regret it (unless you got another film camera to replace it with).

One of the annoying things about this hobby though is that we are rarely satisfied with the kit we have - we always want to tinker and change. We do get pleasure from new kit but inevitably that wears off after a while and the realisation grows that photography is 90% photographer and maybe 10% camera at most. And we still continue to tinker and change....

I can see Not Spavin on here in a few months with his new M9 and lamenting his drunken Ebay session were he has bought a Hasselblad to get back into Medium format. I have his last Lecia (the IIIf) and cannot wait to get my hands on it when I am back in the UK.

taipeisafc said:
I can see Not Spavin on here in a few months with his new M9 and lamenting his drunken Ebay session were he has bought a Hasselblad to get back into Medium format. I have his last Lecia (the IIIf) and cannot wait to get my hands on it when I am back in the UK.

Let's face it - this thread was started by a drunk me looking for strangers to tell him to buy a new camera.

It's an illness.

Film is pretty shit tbh, can't see why anyone bothers with it.

andy m said:
Film is pretty shit tbh, can't see why anyone bothers with it.

I was showing some people at work your site the other day, they were well impressed.

I was showing some people at work your site the other day, they were well impressed.
Were they blind!! :lol:

Hello andy. Have you bothered much recently?
Aye plenty enough, bad time of year for the usual stuff of course - have to branch out into the daylight. Although I've probably become a bit too secretive with things though...

Working (ha!) on a separate site for a 5 year long side project, hoping to have that up online soon. Like, 6 months ago. :lol:

Were they blind!! :lol:

Aye plenty enough, bad time of year for the usual stuff of course - have to branch out into the daylight. Although I've probably become a bit too secretive with things though...

Working (ha!) on a separate site for a 5 year long side project, hoping to have that up online soon. Like, 6 months ago. :lol:

Readers wives? :cool:

Bought a film camera and a dozen rolls of 35mm film a couple of month ago. Took a couple of rolls, religiously writing down all settings in a notebook, getting the daytime shots at the start and end so the lab would cut the film right....

Logon or register to see this image

Now gathering dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back