Fighting disease gets Woke....

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32773

I read this article last night, It's not a bad thing to talk about this actually. When people die of cancer or other illness, they've lost their fight / battle, that they've been defeated and could be a connotation that they were weak or something. It does sound daft but I can see the point. I read an article ages ago from someone who had cancer that they were sick of people referring to it as their journey. Why? Because journeys are meant to be exciting, and an adventure etc. I dunno, different strokes etc... Here's another article referring to it

Last edited:
Ive heard it all now. People don't want you to call it fighting a disease as it inplies people who don't survive werent as strong etc Absolute tosh. When anyone of our family or friends dies of cancer for eg do anyone of us think they weren't brave or didnt fight hard enough. We use terms like 'fight' against cancer or disease to try and stay strong and for a bit of hope Opinion: The last thing we need to hear right now is that Boris Johnson will defeat coronavirus because he's a 'fighter'

It's a good article.

The language the government have used about coronavirus has been all about making people feel good about what the government is doing, rather than actually giving the NHS the resources they need

Boris will pull through, not because he has spirit, or pluck, or is a figher, but because NHS staff saved him without the resources they need

After all if the Governments strategy is herd immunity what does that tell you about a government who think that me and you are the herd?

We've been avoiding using that kind of language for years. Tends to only be newspapers that use "battles with", "suffers from". Few people in the medical, nursing or caring professions use it. Much the same as describing some people by the illness eg, schizophrenic. Tend to say they have schizophrenia instead; you don't go and describe someone as cancerous do you? There's more to an individual than the illness they have. It's certainly not woke and the school of thought has been around for years, at least since I was studying a decade ago.

You don't fight this. You rest your way through it. If you get it you have to simply stop and not soldier on as normal.

I'm more concerned about people thinking Boris Johnson is some kind of fighter.
I’m more concerned by the amount of posters who use this sub forum to try and score political points.

There’s a specific sub forum for that. I want to read this sub forum to gain further information and knowledge about this pandemic, I’m not interested in politics, there’s a specific forum for that.

It seems it’s too difficult for people to keep their personal political views out of it. I understand that this particular issue is linked heavily to the government and their decision making but people are using it to air their hatred(a strong word) to point score.

I await the usual suspects and no doubt the posts along the lines of “if you don’t like it log off/don’t read”.

We all need to pull together during these difficult and uncertain times.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about people thinking Boris Johnson is some kind of fighter.
Why is that concerning mate? The man has clearly been very ill. He’s the public face of this. People are just projecting their fears here I think. If/when he pulls through it might give a lot of people peace of mind.
Not too bad a thing.

Ah so it's from working through the illness? I'd call that more foolish. But he is the PM.

Nowt in his preceding years to suggest he's a fighter. Plenty more words I could use to suggest how he got where he is. Privileged being the kindest. None of these will help him.

Perhaps you're right about people projecting fears and seeing him now as the public face of battling the illness. And that is fair enough.

I’m more concerned by the amount of posters who use this sub forum to try and score political points.

There’s a specific sub forum for that. I want to read this sub forum to gain further information and knowledge about this pandemic, I’m not interested in politics, there’s a specific forum for that.

It seems it’s too difficult for people to keep their personal political views out of it. I understand that this particular issue is linked heavily to the government and their decision making but people are using it to air their hatred(a strong word) to point score.

I await the usual suspects and no doubt the posts along the lines of “if you don’t like it log off/don’t read”.

We all need to pull together during these difficult and uncertain times.
funny how Boris fans don’t jump on anyone slagging corbyn off on this sub forum when they’re saying he’d have been f***ing shit at dealing with this pandemic.
It’s also funny how all of a sudden they now want everyone to pull together when a few weeks ago they didn’t give a flying fuck about the difficult and uncertain times faced by people who would have suffered due to their precious f***ing brexit.

funny how Boris fans don’t jump on anyone slagging corbyn off on this sub forum when they’re saying he’d have been f***ing shit at dealing with this pandemic.
It’s also funny how all of a sudden they now want everyone to pull together when a few weeks ago they didn’t give a flying fuck about the difficult and uncertain times faced by people who would have suffered due to their precious f***ing brexit.
Boris fans???? Slagging Corbyn off????

I’m sure you’ll be able to point me in the direction where I’ve done this, over to you you fuckin loon.

I’ll save you the hassle and do the search for you....... you’ll find I’ve slagged Boris and Corbyn off, I’m certainly not a fan of either of the clowns.

Brexit is done, like I, get over it.

Last edited:
Boris fans???? Slagging Corbyn off????

I’m sure you’ll be able to point me in the direction where I’ve done this, over to you you fuckin loon.

I’ll save you the hassle and do the search for you....... you’ll find I’ve slagged Boris and Corbyn off, I’m certainly not a fan of either of the clowns.

Brexit is done, like I, get over it.
whatever, i can only ever recall you slagging corbyn off and heckling people for being left wing loons.

Back