Feelgood "young adult" movies of the 80's/90's

fyl2u

Striker
Had a lovely night in with the missus on Saturday, watching a trio of 90's feelgood movies with a loosely musical theme (but not actually "musicals"):

- Airheads
- Empire Records
- Pump Up The Volume

...none of which she'd ever seen before (which amazed me).

We don't seem to get many of those sorts of movies anymore as far as I'm aware. Not ones that have any depth to them at least. Back in the 80's we had John Hughes making loads of classics like:

- The Breakfast Club
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- Weird Science
- Pretty In Pink
- Sixteen Candles

...and in the 90's there were a fair few about, like Singles for example, but since then movies like that seem to have been few and far between.

Obviously Kevin Smith's Mallrats would fit the description, and probably also Chasing Amy.

Which other classics of the genre are out there?

Edge of seventeen (the more recent one), Easy A, Mean Girls are all quite John Hughes like. all High School films so don't know if that covers it.

The Perks of being a wallflower is good. High school again though.

50/50 and Me & Earl & The Dying Girl are two of the best films I've seen about serious illness, but are surprisingly feel good.

Totally misread the OP! Thought you were after recent ones that feel 80s/90s!

Goonies?
Footloose
Lost Boys
The Delinquents

Great choices. :cool:

The sure thing and three 'o clock high are a couple of the better non-hughes efforts imo

Haven't seen those either. I'll check them out.

Edge of seventeen (the more recent one), Easy A, Mean Girls are all quite John Hughes like. all High School films so don't know if that covers it.

The Perks of being a wallflower is good. High school again though.

50/50 and Me & Earl & The Dying Girl are two of the best films I've seen about serious illness, but are surprisingly feel good.

Totally misread the OP! Thought you were after recent ones that feel 80s/90s!

Recent ones are fine too. :)

I tried to watch The Breakfast Club recently and found it totally unwatchable!

However Gregory's Girl is still a lovely film and so evocative of the period for me.

I was going to mention Gregory's Girl. Love it. I don't have a problem with Breakfast Club though: I watched it about a year ago with my daughter and we both enjoyed it.

Back