February voting thread - Rule of Thirds

February Challenge - Photo of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
7 Days to vote, and vote for as many as you like.

Voting Guide (which you can ignore of course)
  • Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
  • Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
  • Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
  • If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide a comment on the reason and how the shot could be improved.

If any of you can't see one or more of the pictures drop me a PM listing what you can't see and I'll stick them on Flickr or something similar.

A great standard overall this month folks, good work.

Votes this month for Mainze and Peachbum. I love images that are bold and striking, and both of these pictures fit the bill and meet the theme really well.

Mainze - I love the subject, composure, tones and colours in this picture. Most people would have tried to get the cat facing the camera but I think the image is all the more striking for having the cat in profile. Really good, especially for a debut effort. Cap doffed in your direction.

Peachbum - Another bold image and I really like the composition. I've been taking a lot of pictures a bit like this lately. It takes a good eye to make a picture that is so eye-catching out of such an everyday object. I also love how the composition lets they eye roam throughout the picture. Lovely stuff!

Full C&C on all pictures will come later. One thing I'd like to point out, though - while the standard of images is getting noticeably better each month, the titles are getting more and more cheesy! I don't mean to kick off the debate about the naming of pictures again but I'm going to do it anyway!

Just one vote from me, as Iain Hesford's Bait Box's shot is easily my favourite for the month.

A clever way to grid the shot, and a really nice image to boot.

Voted for hesfords bait box. I've got basic knowledge of photography and the grid reminded me of the examples of rule of third that is in books. (which is prob the intent). I liked the cat one too but assumed it's just one vote.

Voted for hesfords bait box. I've got basic knowledge of photography and the grid reminded me of the examples of rule of third that is in books. (which is prob the intent). I liked the cat one too but assumed it's just one vote.

7 Days to vote, and vote for as many as you like

Great photo's this month

My 3 choices are :

Amnorrageordie - Ripples, Loch Lubnaig
Lovely photo and like the use of the right in the corner to emphasise the rule of thirds

clyde - Deep concentration
Always love photo's from Clyde and this one is great also, love the mysterious look to the photo.

not spavin - Love on the line
Great picture , love the balloons on the line, looks really good and and good capture of it (as im sure the balloons didnt just stay still).

Good job chap's

Clear win for Iain Hesford for me

Though I like peachy's, I didn't bother voting for it

Nar nowt about photography - but like Clydes picture the best

Just one vote from me to keep it easy, Xigu Noir. Really love this shot mainly for it's grandeur more than anything.

There are loads of great shots in here for sure, too many to comment on them all but, Peachbum - I think your shot would be perfect for the March Comp, but came a close 3rd this month ! Also the shot from Clyde ran very close to getting my vote, they are the kind of shots I want to be taking somewhere down the line!

Last edited:
Now that I've got a vote I feel safe to comment .

Voted for three entries

It's only a personal opinion but here goes.

The Great Soprendo.
Nice shot but can only be classed as a silhouette

TaipeiSAFC
Great night shot.

Iain Hesfords Bait Box
Although its divided into thirds the main subject is dead centre.

Hue Jorgan.
Good use of Rule of Thirds. Didn't need the full description though as the photo tell the story.
Vote

Amnorageordie.
Nice foreground but the upper half of the picture needed more detail.

Madmackem.
Too cluttered.

Tiredeyes.

Dividing into three doesn't mean its rule of thirds.

Les the Scientist.
Same as Tiredeyes.

Clyde.
Meets the criteria but figure a distraction.

Mainze.
Another favourite
love the subtle colours and composition.
Vote

Lucky Knickers.
Like it but can't make my mind up as to the main subject. The street lamp or the advert.

Peachbum.
Nice clear, sharp image and composition
Vote

Phil.
Sorry but just can't see the rule of thirds.

Not Spavin.

A tighter crop and more detail in the balloons may have done it for me.

SpongeBob Max.
Nice thinking and setup but everything is to close to the bottom of the frame.

Thankheaven for Shed 7.
Nice composition, but it had to be one of those days when there was no detail in the sky..

Farralad.
Would have got a vote but it would benefited from a tighter crop.

Ghost of EH7
Don't see the Rule of thirds.
Eyes keep wandering from on subject to the other.

Hope I haven't offended anyone or missed anyone out.

Phil.
Sorry but just can't see the rule of thirds.

Rather than leave large portions of the "canvas" blank i thought the position of the more striking royal blue peg would draw the eye to the rule of thirds position - obviously not :cry:

I was hoping to get a bigger rain drop on the end of it but i was getting wet :lol:

Last edited:
Farralad.
Would have got a vote but it would benefited from a tighter crop.

Ta for the feedback, I noticed (this morning) the roof of the concrete wall at the top which should have been cropped out.

I quite often browse these competitions, and it was coincidence that that particular photo could be linked to the title.

Even the one vote I got is canny motivating.

February voting from me and why.

Scoring as follows:
a) Does the photograph show that the taker understands the challenge set
b) How good an example is it
c) Has a good photograph been entered

The Great Soprendo 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the picture is neither silouette nor showing interesting detail. Church and bird on
thirds and that is about it. Sorry GS.

Tom Tom Macute - 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - Excellent use of the rule of thirds (ROT), horizontally, vertically and at the
intersections. Lovely colours.

Taipeisafc 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the building to the left seems to be leaning? and the picture doesn't hold the
attention.

IainHesfords Baitbox - 1 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 1 - love the picture, probably very difficult to take or even "see". However I see this
month's competition as showing you know the technique of ROT, not an artistic
interpretation of "thirds" (or ninths even). Also your object is in the centre.

Hue Jorgan 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - Same comment as for Tom Tom macute above.

Amnorrageordie 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the bottom half of your picture is strong, with good positioning, but the end
photograph is let down by the water horizon needing to be placed bang on a third (you could do this by cropping the the top off). Also the sky is too white on the top right and the water horizon looks too "silvery" ?

MaDMaCKeM 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - your horizontal thirds are good with the two water levels. The fall (with nicely
blurred water) is on a vertical third, but the composition is let down by the fact that rock centre bottom draws your eye, and the trees to the left spoil the picture a bit. I would have gone down to the rock (if possible!) and taken the picture from there. No good just going for the rule of thirds if the rest of the composition is messy. The waterfall is what you wanted to shoot, not the particularly messy trees?

Tired Eyes
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - Everything about this picture draws your eye to the centre. The cables (?) on the vertical thirds are well placed but are not the focus of attention. I would say this is
possibly a photograph opportunity where breaking the ROT is fine, as I find it quite a
pleasing picture, just not right for this month's challenge. Oh and the dark bit to the
very bottom right needs cropping.

Les The Scientist 2 points
a) 1
b) 1
c) 0 - I think the photograph meets the challenge very well indeed. It is just a wee bit
insipid, though, like a jigsaw my gran would have done. I think partly because one third of the picture is sky which looks a bit weird? (The sky looks weird). The front third is just grass which is a bit
boring?

Clyde 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - The title doesn't work though I have let that effect my judgement. Sorry a weak
double exposure (type) photograph.

Mainze 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - I do like the way your eye is drawn to the cats eye, very good. The cat is good on the left third. Now for the bad things :) Depth of field - you've neither blurred the
background enough nor made it sharp. The cat has a bush growing out of its back, a ray of red beads coming from its neck and a turquoise block from its chest. There appears to be an orange blotch on the cat's shoulder too but that could be its colouring? I am not being harsh :), just trying to point out things to look out for when taking a picture - we all do it! (include things we are just blind to when taking the picture)

Phil - 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - an unusual entry, and I'm not quite sure luck or judgement but that bright blue (the only one that colour) peg is on the right hand vertical. Perfect. The focusing is
marginally off? But I know it's difficult, so nothing detracted (no idea of your equipment
and not judging equipment anyway). Picture of the month for me.

Notspavin 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 I like the idea but it just isn't executed quite rightly (for me). The (deflated :-(
) ballons are well positioned on an intersecting third, but the lines take all the right hand
side of the picture and weaken it for an example of ROT.

SpongeBobMax 0 points
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - all I see when I look at that picture is the white light just down from centre then
the other coloured bits. Rules can be broken but not when you are entering a competition to show you understand the ROT?!

Thank Heaven for Shed7 - 2 points
a) 1
b) 0
c) 1 - Lovely clear picture - just misses getting a vote because it isn't a brilliant
example of the challenge set. Crop a bit off the top and you'd have got a vote. Lovely colours too

farrahlad 2 points
a) 1
b) 0
c) 1 - "Two's Company" makes it about the children and they are too far to the right for an excellent ROT entry. As a picture I really like it, the colours and shapes are very
appealing.

Lucky Knickers 0 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - Found yours hard to judge. You said you didn't know if it met ROT? (iirc). I love
the fact you have got such a lovely colourful picture when 26 days out of 28 have been grey in London, there is a lovely quality of colour there. However I don't really know what I'm looking at? Is it the bright light, is it Michael Jackson, I'm not sure. There are too many bits of things.

Ghost of EH7 1 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 1 - placing two single objects next to each other isn't a very good example of ROT.
There are not many other places you could place them trying to show ROT. Perhaps using three cameras would have worked, then your photograph could have shown a better example of composing items. I quite like the picture for its old fashioned simpleness.

Thanks for my votes and comments given :-D

Last edited:

Scoring as follows:

a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the picture is neither silouette nor showing interesting detail. Church and bird on

Tom Tom Macute - 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - Excellent use of the rule of thirds (ROT), horizontally, vertically and at the
intersections. Lovely colours.

Taipeisafc 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the building to the left seems to be leaning? and the picture doesn't hold the
attention.

IainHesfords Baitbox - 1 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 1 - love the picture, probably very difficult to take or even "see". However I see this
month's competition as showing you know the technique of ROT, not an artistic
interpretation of "thirds" (or ninths even). Also your object is in the centre.

Hue Jorgan 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - Same comment as for Tom Tom macute above.

Amnorrageordie 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - the bottom half of your picture is strong, with good positioning, but the end
photograph is let down by the water horizon needing to be placed bang on a third (you could do this by cropping the the top off). Also the sky is too white on the top right and the water horizon looks too "silvery" ?

MaDMaCKeM 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - your horizontal thirds are good with the two water levels. The fall (with nicely
blurred water) is on a vertical third, but the composition is let down by the fact that rock centre bottom draws your eye, and the trees to the left spoil the picture a bit. I would have gone down to the rock (if possible!) and taken the picture from there. No good just going for the rule of thirds if the rest of the composition is messy. The waterfall is what you wanted to shoot, not the particularly messy trees?

Tired Eyes
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - Everything about this picture draws your eye to the centre. The cables (?) on the vertical thirds are well placed but are not the focus of attention. I would say this is
possibly a photograph opportunity where breaking the ROT is fine, as I find it quite a
pleasing picture, just not right for this month's challenge. Oh and the dark bit to the
very bottom right needs cropping.

Les The Scientist 2 points
a) 1
b) 1
c) 0 - I think the photograph meets the challenge very well indeed. It is just a wee bit
insipid, though, like a jigsaw my gran would have done. I think partly because one third of the picture is sky which looks a bit weird? (The sky looks weird). The front third is just grass which is a bit
boring?

Clyde 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - The title doesn't work though I have let that effect my judgement. Sorry a weak
double exposure (type) photograph.

Mainze 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 - I do like the way your eye is drawn to the cats eye, very good. The cat is good on the left third. Now for the bad things :) Depth of field - you've neither blurred the
background enough nor made it sharp. The cat has a bush growing out of its back, a ray of red beads coming from its neck and a turquoise block from its chest. There appears to be an orange blotch on the cat's shoulder too but that could be its colouring? I am not being harsh :), just trying to point out things to look out for when taking a picture - we all do it! (include things we are just blind to when taking the picture)

Phil - 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1
c) 1 - an unusual entry, and I'm not quite sure luck or judgement but that bright blue (the only one that colour) peg is on the right hand vertical. Perfect. The focusing is
marginally off? But I know it's difficult, so nothing detracted (no idea of your equipment

Notspavin 1 point
a) 1
b) 0
c) 0 I like the idea but it just isn't executed quite rightly (for me). The (deflated :-(
) ballons are well positioned on an intersecting third, but the lines take all the right hand
side of the picture and weaken it for an example of ROT.

SpongeBobMax 0 points
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - all I see when I look at that picture is the white light just down from centre then
the other coloured bits. Rules can be broken but not when you are entering a competition to show you understand the ROT?!

Thank Heaven for Shed7 - 2 points
a) 1
b) 0
c) 1 - Lovely clear picture - just misses getting a vote because it isn't a brilliant
example of the challenge set. Crop a bit off the top and you'd have got a vote. Lovely colours too

farrahlad 2 points
a) 1
b) 0
c) 1 - "Two's Company" makes it about the children and they are too far to the right for an excellent ROT entry. As a picture I really like it, the colours and shapes are very
appealing.

Lucky Knickers 0 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 0 - Found yours hard to judge. You said you didn't know if it met ROT? (iirc). I love
the fact you have got such a lovely colourful picture when 26 days out of 28 have been grey in London, there is a lovely quality of colour there. However I don't really know what I'm looking at? Is it the bright light, is it Michael Jackson, I'm not sure. There are too many bits of things.

Ghost of EH7 1 point
a) 0
b) 0
c) 1 - placing two single objects next to each other isn't a very good example of ROT.
There are not many other places you could place them trying to show ROT. Perhaps using three cameras would have worked, then your photograph could have shown a better example of composing items. I quite like the picture for its old fashioned simpleness.

Thanks for my votes and comments given :-D

Confused how you don't think Hesford's isn't a good interpretation of the theme?

Confused how you don't think Hesford's isn't a good interpretation of the theme?
As I said this month's competition isn't about interpretation, it is about entering a photograph that shows the use of the ROT. The object of his photograph is bang in the centre. I did say it was a very good photo, but I just felt it didn't meet the challenge set, and I have tried to judge each photo on the same criteria. :)

Phil - 3 points Vote
a) 1
b) 1

D

Thank you very much for your kind comment. Position of blue peg was intentional, see post above - you must have been posting your reply as i was writing that. Take your point about the focus. I originally had planned to try and get just the blue peg in focus , but even with a couple of sticks against the line the wind kept moving it and blowing the raindrops off :evil: so had to abandon that and go for a bit more depth. Perhaps should have gone for total focus.

Last edited:
Fair play for taking the time to critique each shot PB. People may agree or disagree with your comments, but you obviously put a lot into it.

As I said this month's competition isn't about interpretation, it is about entering a photograph that shows the use of the ROT. The object of his photograph is bang in the centre. I did say it was a very good photo, but I just felt it didn't meet the challenge set, and I have tried to judge each photo on the same criteria. :)

Agree about the faults in mine now you have pointed them out. It was a kind of snap it while you can type of picture as the cat would have no doubt buggered off if I had faffed around too long :lol: In my infancy with a DSLR so any feedback is much appreciated ;)

Fair play for taking the time to critique each shot PB. People may agree or disagree with your comments, but you obviously put a lot into it.
I quite enjoy the critiquing (sp?:oops:). I love art and try to spend a bit of time going to galleries and exhibitions etc.

I look at each picture and sort of make a mental judgement then it doesn't take too long in voting week, to quickly look again, try to see that I've been fair and type out my thoughts. I really try to judge the picture and not the poster. It is a coincidence I think that I've liked the same poster's photo two months on the trot, last year I think I had faves off 12 different people.

I am well aware that some may disagree with me, but I'm not here to curry favour, just to enjoy a photo competition. Happily some like my comments and agree with me, so hopefully I am not too far out too often. And I always try to post positively. :)

Scoring as follows:

a) 1
b) 0

Thanks for the comment PB and no need at all to apologise - I appreciate all and any feedback. I don't think it's a great shot either - just an opportunistic snap on the way to work one morning which seemed to fit this month's theme. There is some subtle detail in the road and the houses along the RH side but it hasn't come out well on screen for some reason (poor scanning?), likewise the nice naturally graduated blue at the top of the sky which is on the negative but seems to have paled into insignificance - I think I need to learn how to do post-production... I'm still in the stone age in that regard. Cheers anyway - I'll get my votes in and maybe do some critique too when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back