February Challenge - Voting

February Challenge winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to vote for you favourite shot from our February challenge.

It was an open round but shots had to be taken with a point & shoot, a phone, or a camera on auto - the idea being to bring out the photographer's eye in the entrants. It seems to have worked, there are some fantastic entries this month.

You have 7 days to vote and the votes will be public. You can vote for as many as you want.

Entries are here

Please feel free to give constructive critique of the entries.

Last edited:

Seven pics with 25% of the votes.?

Bizarre

Good luck with the voting this month folks lots of great entries

Slippery Jim - Nice and simple, a pleasant shot.

tom tom macute - I usually like your shots but this is a bit too plain imo and a dog on the beach without a leash !!

Kid Galahad - Nice shot, shame there isn't a more detailed focus on the shingle, it's lost in the sunbeams.

HebburnMackem - A bit boring, don't see the benefit of it being in B&W and I don't like the copyright mark.

smoker - I wish you had made more use of the leading line road or found more reflections in the ice puddle.

MalmoMakem - I'm scared to say as I hope she's 18 but swit-swooo, pretty girl and I think you have achieved a old 70's style effect too.

matt1988 - Nice shot but perhaps it's better as a memory of a time, than as a competition entry.

clyde - Not quite as explosive as I think you were hoping for, a bigger wave with lots of height would have been better imo.

ds0rco - Seems to be lacking in colour for me, apart from the tree, it's all the same colour, a bit bland.

Hue Jorgan - I like this but I don't like the skew, I don't know what it gains from being skewed or being in B&W, Sunderland in B&W :eek:

MaDMaCKeM - I really like this, the eyes look menacing, I wish there was more of them in the darkness, it doesn't need the frame/border imo, it's already framed naturally.

lucky knickers - I like the colours and the long shadows on a subject close to my heart, however I hate the border, the black just doesn't fit the picture.

clockstand pie chucka - Lovely colour in the sky but jesus h christ, why have you stuck a great big thick black border round it ?!?!

minkeysteve - The winner this month imo, lovely shot, would of liked to seen a coloured version as I think perhaps you've lost some detail in B&W. - VOTE

Icarebecauseyoudo - Nice shot, great composition, just lacking that certain something.

wor kid telt me - Not sure why you have made this B&W, it's lost a lot of the details imo, the ship blends into the dock and is lost as a focus subject.

Steeeeed - Nice shot, the pole spoils it for me though, could you not have stepped forward a bit and lost the great big pole spoiling the symmetry of the shot, also I'd of cropped the bush on the right.

peachbum - I like this abstract shot but I hate the double border/frame and it's unfortunate to have the colour changing line/ceiling in shot too.

Amnorrageordie - Agile Poof :lol: as a shot it's ok but the star of the show is the cleverly vandalised sign.

Last edited:
peachbum - I like this abstract shot but I hate the double border/frame and it's unfortunate to have the colour changing line/ceiling in shot too.

Thank you. Your best review to date (not just mine but for all of us). The ceiling line is part of the picture! If I hadn't have wanted it I would have taken the picture from a different angle.:) Can't win with the frame really, some of us like them, some of us don't; I do tend to use toned down frames now though.

Thanks for your review of my shot,not much control as only taken on my Galaxy S with no effects and not much control! A proper 'as you see it shot',will try harder next time!

Thank you. Your best review to date (not just mine but for all of us). The ceiling line is part of the picture! If I hadn't have wanted it I would have taken the picture from a different angle.:) Can't win with the frame really, some of us like them, some of us don't; I do tend to use toned down frames now though.

You so should have, it doesn't add anything to the shot, only detracts from it, a clean background and you'd of gotten my vote :eek: !!

Lucky Knickers gets my vote, it's not just a great scentimental photo shot but
the fact it was done on just an iphone is remarkable.

MalmoMakem - I'm scared to say as I hope she's 18 but swit-swooo, pretty girl and I think you have achieved a old 70's style effect too.

15 mate, but you're aloud to say she's attractive. I think? :lol:

But thanks for the comment. I literally got it from the fact my camera is broken.

I also voted for hebburnmakem. Really like the composition and it captures a good kind of story. I love photos of everyday goings on that you don't tend to really look at or think about.

Last edited:
Minkeysteve and Icarebeacuseyoudo for me from a lot of interesting shots,.....
......although mine looks as though it will end up like Engelberts in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Nil Poi.

Well no theme this month so reasons for getting/not getting votes will be on ABs bringing out your "photographic" eye basis -imho. Good to see lots of new posters entering.

Slippery Jim -well I'd like to take a picture of the moon like that, it's a great picture of the moon, but apart from that there is not a lot going for it.

TomTomMacute - I love this photograph - the colours and composition are great (and the straight horizon!) - could only have been improved if the dog had turned his face slightly. VOTE

KidGalahad - Well we aren't meant to be judging on camera quality (so I'm not) but the automatic setting hasn't coped well with the bright light. So just judging on the photograph, the composition has let you down, there is too much foreground and not enough sea.

Hebburn Mackem - this picture has grown on me since I first saw it, but it is let down by the standing up fisherman who is sticking out of the middle man's head, I would have asked him to move up the wall so he became a figure in his own right. Don't like the writing on your photo. Just misses the vote on composition.

Smoker- well taken photograph, but if I was at a picture gallery it wouldn't have caught my eye - sorry.

MalmoMackem - best portrait photograph I've seen in a long while. VOTE

Matt1988 - I'm not sure that "stitching together" (whatever that means?) has done you any favours, the clouds, sun and various curves just don't look very natural.

Tired Eyes Nice enough, but not very original, I would think that most people who have been to Sunderland have this image.

Clyde - I prefer your more natural looking photographs. (ie this type).

STeeeeeD - Not sure what to say - I've liked all your entries before I think and there is nothing wrong with this one, just doesn't inspire me to vote for it - sorry.

Mine - I took a fair few pictures this month but never got anything I was really happy with - my entry was the closest I could find (of mine) to being a little different.

DsOrco - This could have been stunning - look at that scenery! This picture is so let down by the poles under the bridge that don't come out the top. I am no fan of post production, but this is one case where it would be legitimate - remove those poles; or, better still, walk about until they are lost. That is what having an "eye" is all about.

Hue Jorgan - Maybe not the most original photo ever but a quirky take. VOTE

MaDmAcKeM - Love this photograph too, and if the others here could vote, you'd have got a fair few more votes too. I like frames to photographs when the frame helps set them off. You have a natural frame in the picture so either needs no frame or maybe just one colour, two colours are a bit too much. VOTE

ClockstandPieChuka - lovely sky, beautiful dogs, good location, don't mind a frame - but this photograph doesn't work with all those elements - maybe the sky colour just jars with the grass?

minkeysteve - didn't like this at first but it has grown on me. VOTE

ICHBYD - That closed lilly with the leaf needs to have the leaf behind the other closed lilly - not in front of it. Beautiful otherwise.

Wor KId Telt Me - Good. VOTE

Amnorrageordie See Smoker above.

Lucky Knickers I think you have a very good photographic eye. I don't like the sun bleeding on Stokoe's arm but that isn't your fault in an "automatic month". I like the frame but I would have not used black for a "sepia" coloured photograph. VOTE

Last edited:
Voted for three here, nothing against the others mind.

Not very good at describing why either, my apologies...

Hue Jorgan - really caught my eye, not that original as you said but I really like it, it's now my desktop, hope you don't mind :)

clockstand pie chuka - love the colours and the dogs and the angle it's taken from

MalmoMakem - scrolling through the entries I just kept getting drawn back to this one... love the portrait and the effect

Good efforts from all

Ta

hebburn mackem and clockstand pie chucka for me.

hebburnmackem - i just love the picture, i am also one who thought on first look it was old men on motorised scooteres, so when i actually saw what it was i giggled, just love it.

clockstand pie chuka - lovely colours for a picture with no editing

thanks for your votes and comments on mine. i added the border as an after thought on my iphone, it actually looks different on the iphone screen to what it does on the computer screen, but i get your points, i think i sometimes go border crazy, it's a fault of mine! :lol:

Very difficult to judge a clear winner given the lack of clear remit.

I think Luckynickers owes Tom Tom Macute a pint if she wins though, after voting for her I noticed Tom entered a very similar shot last month.

Very difficult to judge a clear winner given the lack of clear remit.

I think Luckynickers owes Tom Tom Macute a pint if she wins though, after voting for her I noticed Tom entered a very similar shot last month.

really? i haven't seen it and honestly didn't know. i will get the pints in like, nee bosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back