Favourite Durham "official" overseas player

Bit of a lockdown special thread. We have had some good ones and a few disappointing ones.
For me it's Martin Love. Here for 3 years and although he tailed off a bit in his final season he is probably the classiest bat I have watched play for Durham.

Bit of a lockdown special thread. We have had some good ones and a few disappointing ones.
For me it's Martin Love. Here for 3 years and although he tailed off a bit in his final season he is probably the classiest bat I have watched play for Durham.
certainly oozed class but not so sure he was 100% committed- too many 50s but rarely went on to the daddy hundred. Ponting,when asked, said he was the classiest No 3 in Australia but didn't add to the comment

certainly oozed class but not so sure he was 100% committed- too many 50s but rarely went on to the daddy hundred. Ponting,when asked, said he was the classiest No 3 in Australia but didn't add to the comment
To many 50s not converted to 100s was his Achilles heel at Durham although quite often by the time he got to 50 or 60 he was batting with 9,10 jack.
Definitely appeared lto loose a bit of heart in that last season mind the organisation behind the scenes was pretty shambolic especially in that last season.

Though only 4 to choose from
Results pretty tight when I looked earlier, Benkenstein>Boon>Di Venuto but they've all got 30-35%. Thorp not getting much of a look in with 2%, think his family might have tried to hijack the poll. I was surprised to see him rather than Hussey in there but I suppose he was only around for one season.

Think Boon probably shades it for the change in attitude he brought to the club. He took over when we were whipping boys and left with us in the inaugural first division.

The best was probably Hussey all told.

My fav however was Shoaib. He was such an enigma, the fastest bowler on earth at the time and probably one of the most talked about cricketers. To have him here and playiny for us was unreal, bowling 90mph (when he wanted) and trying to hit every ball for 6 because he didn’t really care all just added to the ‘legend’.

Back