Fans and substitutions

rentaghost

Striker
It always cracks me up :lol: It seems to be the one thing that regardless of football knowledge that everyone seems passionate about and an expert on. mi swear some people will be off on the sick with depression today because he didn't use his subs 10 minutes earlier. People are mental man. Last night 3-0 home win and fans are twisting on that the manager didn't used his subs til too late. On Saturday despite a great win there was a bloke foaming on the way out because the manager 'almost cost us the game' by leaving his subs too late. Two wins 6 points and the supposed use of subs seem high up on the list of may supporters priorities. I think Parkinson isn't one to change things around much either game by game or during a game if he thinks things are going well. If you are in, you are in until you deserve to be out.

It always cracks me up :lol: It seems to be the one thing that regardless of football knowledge that everyone seems passionate about and an expert on. mi swear some people will be off on the sick with depression today because he didn't use his subs 10 minutes earlier. People are mental man. Last night 3-0 home win and fans are twisting on that the manager didn't used his subs til too late. On Saturday despite a great win there was a bloke foaming on the way out because the manager 'almost cost us the game' by leaving his subs too late. Two wins 6 points and the supposed use of subs seem high up on the list of may supporters priorities. I think Parkinson isn't one to change things around much either game by game or during a game if he thinks things are going well. If you are in, you are in until you deserve to be out.
What's the point in signing players like Semenyo if you are not going to give him longer when winning 3-0and in no danger at all

Yes I agree. Not changing a winning team seems to prove your point.

We’re playing a bunch of games in a short period of time though. We’re cruising the game at 3-0, Rochdale were absolute garbage and couldn’t handle our high press. Why not rest some legs for what is going to be a difficult game at the weekend?

It is a hard one but yesterday was perfect to bring on Semenyo, Scowen and Lafferty earlier to give them minutes and keep Maguire, Gooch etc fresh for a massive away game on Sat. I know we are doing well with this formula but when 3-0 up against dross you would think keeping it fresh was a big priority too. Oxford are fast and good at home so no time for tired legs.

We’re playing a bunch of games in a short period of time though. We’re cruising the game at 3-0, Rochdale were absolute garbage and couldn’t handle our high press. Why not rest some legs for what is going to be a difficult game at the weekend?

Fair enough its a point of discussion but no more than that. However its a Tuesday night, plenty of recovery time. He is seeing Scowen, Semenyo etc every day, he doesn't need to see them for an extra 10 minutes on a cold night of a won game against Rochdale. This is more about the fans wanting to see these players than anything else.

Fair enough its a point of discussion but no more than that. However its a Tuesday night, plenty of recovery time. He is seeing Scowen, Semenyo etc every day, he doesn't need to see them for an extra 10 minutes on a cold night of a won game against Rochdale. This is more about the fans wanting to see these players than anything else.
What's the point in signing players if he doesn't give them a good chance in a game already won

What's the point in signing players if he doesn't give them a good chance in a game already won

1) Because if he doesn't sign players and we have injuries then we are fucked

2) When players have a drop in form he has players to come in

3) Most significantly, when those players do get in they know that if they perform they will stay in.

1) Because if he doesn't sign players and we have injuries then we are fucked

2) When players have a drop in form he has players to come in

3) Most significantly, when those players do get in they know that if they perform they will stay in.
Dobson and power had a few poor games and never get dropped hes stubborn

Dobson and power had a few poor games and never get dropped hes stubborn

Hes loyal - they shouldn't be dropped. A result of not dropping them resulted in a very good performance from Dobson on Saturday which helped win the points and a good performance from them both last night. They are now starting to perform well as a result of them knowing they have had the support of the manger. Parkinson knows what hes doing.

He left his subs till the perfect time, to wind down the clock in injury time

Just because we win and are in good form, certainly in terms of results, doesn't mean everything is perfect mate (and I'm not one to moan normally).

Parkinson's lack of subs to manage games or change things or simply freshen things up worries me long term. Bring players on with 5-10 mins left is usually pointless. We have a team who have played pretty much every minute of the last couple of months, when you're cruising why would you not give some of them a break and others a chance to get some match sharpness and integrate them into the team?

We're winning so I'm not complaining too loudly, but it still baffles me.

Last edited:

Back