Family shoot from the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying some git big paper rolls and setting up a studio at work. Like Andy, my pop up black background is pretty limiting.

Aye I had planned on buying a reversable black / white vinyl backdrop but wasn't sure if my backdrop stand could support the weight. It's supposed to be able to but got paranoid and bought a paper one instead just to be on the safe side. Had bad thoughts about the stand collapsing on a 4 week on baby's head!

Paper backdrop is heavy as owt though it turns out so could have got the vinyl one after all :-D

just get a cotton one mate - you may have to remove creases in post sometimes. If you're doing a planned shoot you would have to iron it.

No stand required.. just lean it up against the wall..

Logon or register to see this image

abit limited though but i guess - couldn't have done the laying down one for a start :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
just get a cotton one mate - you may have to remove creases in post sometimes. If you're doing a planned shoot you would have to iron it.

No stand required.. just lean it up against the wall..

Logon or register to see this image

abit limited though but i guess - couldn't have done the laying down one for a start :lol:

I have a muslin backdrop mate and it takes about an hour to iron all the creases out... it also gets dirty very quickly and they aren't exactly the right size to stick in the washing machine. Believe me paper or vinyl backdrops are 100%easier and less time consuming than a cotton or muslin one!

I'm thinking of buying some git big paper rolls and setting up a studio at work. Like Andy, my pop up black background is pretty limiting.

They're good for that type of thing mate... I think my 1.7m wide / 11m long one cost about £53 but it's really good quality. You can just re-use it until it gets grubby and then rip off the dirty section and roll out a bit further next time.

Obviously eventually they'll get too short to use and will need to be replaced but they will last a decent number of shoots.

Vinyl backdrops are just the same but apparently you can wipe them down to remove the dirty marks so last longer

I have a muslin backdrop mate and it takes about an hour to iron all the creases out... it also gets dirty very quickly and they aren't exactly the right size to stick in the washing machine. Believe me paper or vinyl backdrops are 100%easier and less time consuming than a cotton or muslin one!

They're good for that type of thing mate... I think my 1.7m wide / 11m long one cost about £53 but it's really good quality. You can just re-use it until it gets grubby and then rip off the dirty section and roll out a bit further next time.

Obviously eventually they'll get too short to use and will need to be replaced but they will last a decent number of shoots.

Vinyl backdrops are just the same but apparently you can wipe them down to remove the dirty marks so last longer
2.7m x 11m is £43 on wex, lastolite paper. Got full access to the stores at work to fashion a stand for it too.

2.7m x 11m is £43 on wex, lastolite paper. Got full access to the stores at work to fashion a stand for it too.

Cool... yeah I had to get a smaller one as not enough room in people's houses for a 2.7m wide one... not sure why but the 1.7 costs more than a 2.7 which is annoying

Nice pictures Andy. I have a few from a recent family shoot that I keep meaning to stick up but not got round to it yet.

I have the Lastolite Hilite and for that white studio look it takes some beating albeit at a premium on the more reasonable examples given by others. I have the 7x6 with the vinyl floor train which cost about £340 in total. It just pops up and folds down to a 1 metre circle for transporting. I tend to think its a bit pricey but easy to set up, transport and light which were the key factors for me and have got some nice results from it. I'm hoping to get a few of the coloured trains next to give me a bit of variation.

Nice pictures Andy. I have a few from a recent family shoot that I keep meaning to stick up but not got round to it yet.

I have the Lastolite Hilite and for that white studio look it takes some beating albeit at a premium on the more reasonable examples given by others. I have the 7x6 with the vinyl floor train which cost about £340 in total. It just pops up and folds down to a 1 metre circle for transporting. I tend to think its a bit pricey but easy to set up, transport and light which were the key factors for me and have got some nice results from it. I'm hoping to get a few of the coloured trains next to give me a bit of variation.

Cheers mate :)

Is that 7m by 6m? If that's HUGE!

Sorry that is feet. :) You can also get 8x7 but I've found my 6x7 has been big enough for setting up in most living rooms/dining rooms/conservatories etc. If all else fails you can use it as a crazy sized soft box.

Sorry that is feet. :) You can also get 8x7 but I've found my 6x7 has been big enough for setting up in most living rooms/dining rooms/conservatories etc. If all else fails you can use it as a crazy sized soft box.

Ahh ok was thinking you must be shooting people who live in mansions or fields for a minute there :lol:

Might look at that as an option for the future then but money is a little tight at present to be splashing out on anything like this :)

Alright can we stick to the standard of images as the discussion please, this is a mate's wife and also a paying customer. Mods can we remove AndrewP's last post please?

Alright can we stick to the standard of images as the discussion please, this is a mate's wife and also a paying customer. Mods can we remove AndrewP's last post please?

You were warned ;)

It's not good for business if your potential customers see this place marra

Stick pics on your site and give people a link

You're lucky you didn't post this in Pure Football! It won't let me edit my post now.

I'd lie and say wad to make her feel better if it would let me like!

Last edited:
You were warned ;)

It's not good for business if your potential customers see this place marra

Stick pics on your site and give people a link

Aye I thought it would be easier to put the images in the post... strange every other forum I use there's never any issues by doing it this way :evil:

No idea why the mods aint removed the post neither

Nice shots mate, what lens did you use and if not a prime, what focal length were those shots at?

Cheers mate. These were shot with the 24-70mm Tamron f/2.8 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back