FA looking to tackle sexist chanting

• Thread starter Deleted member 35145
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno about that like. She's not going to get her tits out, nor is she going to find it flattering.

It's the equivalent of a builder shouting "get your tits out" as a woman walks by. Even if the intent isn't to intimidate, it doesn't seem far fetched to assume that intimidation will be the consequence.

People keep on mentioning Take That. Take That market their sexuality. That's what makes it OK. It'd be OK to shout stuff like that at a glamour model's personal appearance at a nightclub.

They might market their sexuality but does that really mean they should just accept women throwing dirty knickers at them? I reckon that could count as sexual assault tbh, i dont think.the fact that you play on your attractiveness should mean you basically have to take whatever lasses throw at you (literally).

As a woman who has gone to football matches fors 25 yrs it really doesnt bother me i just laugh it off but can see how some women maybe offended but its the same the other way round you get women at matches talking about the players in the same sort of language its all a bit of fun in my opinion. As for swearing at a match im worse than most of the blokes that sit around me and some kids are worse than that got a kid behind me who swears constantly at the game hes about 9 and gets told by his dad he can swear at the match but no where else

I am black therefore i can surely be offended on behalf of my ancestors?

im not really black
Some of us have female ancestors.

I occasionally get offended on their behalf. I'm not female. And my female ancestors would kick the arses of anyone who offended them

I think the distinction is that Steven Taylor isn't a class of people who have been systematically oppressed for centuries, and in some ways and some places still are. For me it's not about people being offended - I'm offended all the time, and I offend other people all the time, and we're all adults and it's fine at the end of the day. For me it's about behavior that socially reinforces structures of inequity or oppression. And in that sense I think sexist chanting is very like racist chanting. And not at all like Steven Taylor chanting. And in no way ok. Just my opinion.
That's factually incorrect. People of lesser intelligence have been oppressed since the Geordie caveman tried to eat fire.

Exactly mate. Im sure they said the most arrests theyve ever made at the SoL was at the Take That concert. Poor lads just doing their jobs and theyve got drunken lasses whistling at them, getting their tits out and throwing dirty knickers on the stage. That chelsea doctor would have much more reason to complain if i ran down to the touchline, shouted "how, fit arse", whipped me cock out and flung me semen stained boxers off her bonce, thatd be worth a stadium ban

:lol:

I remember a season or two ago when the Swansea physio (female, quite large) ran on towards the South Stand and the chant in question on this thread got sung and even Ashley Williams was laughing his head off.

So we may or may not have the right to act like insensitive sexist cavemen, but either way maybe we could just decide not to? Would it be so terrible?

So we may or may not have the right to act like insensitive sexist cavemen, but either way maybe we could just decide not to? Would it be so terrible?

Its the fact that its relatively harmless and next theyll be targeting "offensive" songs and swearing. Sorry, but a lot of the reason people from other countries liked football in england in the first place was because of the atmosphere, now there is a fairly sustained attempt to kill it. Daft songs that offend people are part of football culture and personally i want to see it stay

the next one will be "wankerism" i get offended when people call me a wanker in the stand...im going to report it i find it totally unacceptable and i speak for the thousands of others that dont like to be called wankers

lets not beat about the bush here but lets face...mens football is predominantly men who watch and play it.....so there will always be lads who want a laugh and a giggle....even a laugh in the house when she is on screen about how many players will have a "small groin problem"....it is always going to happen....so like it or lump it!! if your that offended, go and watch womens football.....i'm sorry...but if you start banning people...the truth is it will be the beginning of the end for football supporters....

go on...say typical bloke comment

I think they are. It's groups of white men intimidating an 'other' for their own amusement.

The racist one seems worse, but I'm a white man so probably not well placed to comment.

Intimidating? It's hardly intended to intimidate, unlike racism. Women in groups are no better than blokes, and even seem to think copping a feel is acceptable. A man would be in prison and on the sex offender's register for that. Men are expected to laugh it off while the shrieking, drunken harpies are having a grope.

So, until they can manage to stop objectifying men, they really can't complain.

I am black therefore i can surely be offended on behalf of my ancestors?

im not really black

Racist.

I'd love to see how 40k women would behave in the same situation.

Sexism works both ways, and if anything, sexism against males is getting worse.

Last edited:
I'd love to see how 40k women would behave in the same situation.

Sexism works both ways, and if anything, sexism against males is getting worse.

First of all, sexism doesn't work both ways any more than "reverse racism" or "heterophobia" are actual things. Secondly, while that may be a response to some point, but it's not a response to my point.

What I don't fully understand is why people think ANY abuse is justified? A lot of posts here are things like "well why only target sexism? if we do that then what about abuse against x & y" as if abusing X & Y is somehow acceptable?

Why abuse anyone in a football ground? Apart from being a bit of a **** obviously.

(I'm talking about random, unwarranted abuse by the way. The sort where someone is walking to their seat and then people start shouting stuff at them. I accept that if someone has walked up to you and called you a **** to your face, I'm not saying you should not reply)

Care to explain that?
Only thing I can think he means is that you don't have "sexism" and "reverse sexism" in the same way you don't have "racism" and "reverse racism" as sexism and racism is not specific about one race against another specific race, and sexism isn't about only males against females. They both are all encompassing. Although it's a bit of a pedantic thing to point out

Last edited:
About time this was stamped out.

Too often you hear utter arseholes making derogatory gender based comments at the match, and all too often they will be surrounded by witless sychophants who find it amusing.

These scumbags need to be eradicated from the game.
If someone sings "get yer tits out for the lads" is that against the law? I dont think it is is it? What are the FA going to do about this exactly? I'm asuming that because PL grounds are privately owned then football clubs could if they wish throw people out for doing things that they dont find acceptable eg singing "get yer tits out for the lads". More and more though this looks like the further sanitisation of football.

As a woman who has gone to football matches fors 25 yrs it really doesnt bother me i just laugh it off but can see how some women maybe offended but its the same the other way round you get women at matches talking about the players in the same sort of language its all a bit of fun in my opinion. As for swearing at a match im worse than most of the blokes that sit around me and some kids are worse than that got a kid behind me who swears constantly at the game hes about 9 and gets told by his dad he can swear at the match but no where else
How often does it happen now? Once in a blue moon would be my guess. when was the last time you heard the SOL singing "get your tits out for the lads" (not you personally :))...cant remember the last time I heard it. We have 11 tits on the pitch week in and week out so if I did hear such a song I'd probably think it referred to them. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back