Exiles with kids - tips to get them to support the Lads

Asked him which footy kit he wants to wear for footy after school today. He said not Sunderland because the other kids will laugh at him.

“are Arsenal higher than Sunderland mam?”

:cry:
Get the other kids to watch us. They’ll be asking for SAFC shirts. Three of my boys mates now have shirts and come to games fairly regularly from Cov.

Sometimes you have to do what is best for him. He might not want to eat broccoli but (I assume) he doesn’t get the choice. It will be character building.
He does eat broccoli.

As an aside, forcing kids to eat foods can actually lead to eating issues.
Get the other kids to watch us. They’ll be asking for SAFC shirts. Three of my boys mates now have shirts and come to games fairly regularly from Cov.
None of the kids watch footy! They just hear from their dad who also doesn’t go to footy, that Arsenal and Saka are awesome.

We have the championship highlights on every Sunday and I showed him our highlights on Saturday when he woke up. He was happy. 😊

Last edited:
Asked him which footy kit he wants to wear for footy after school today. He said not Sunderland because the other kids will laugh at him.

The boy had an arsenal kit on for training last night - nowt to do with the team he just likes Saka, same with his City Grealish kit - always goes back to his Sunderland strips though especially for PE at school

I used to get a bit stick for wearing my sunderland shirt at school, part and parcel of being an exile. I didn't let it bother me though because unlike the man utd and Liverpool fans I got to go to games when we came back to see family and I got to experience everything that came with it and that was worth it.

Get him up to the stadium as soon as you can. Evening game if possible. Cold, crisp and dark evenings heading across the bridge with my dad full of expectation, nerves and hope, the best memories that i treasure. He will soon forget any jokes from school friends when he has had the experience and let's face it, we have got the best team we have had for years.

I used to get a bit stick for wearing my sunderland shirt at school, part and parcel of being an exile. I didn't let it bother me though because unlike the man utd and Liverpool fans I got to go to games when we came back to see family and I got to experience everything that came with it and that was worth it.

Get him up to the stadium as soon as you can. Evening game if possible. Cold, crisp and dark evenings heading across the bridge with my dad full of expectation, nerves and hope, the best memories that i treasure. He will soon forget any jokes from school friends when he has had the experience and let's face it, we have got the best team we have had for years.
We took them to Hull at Easter - they loved it. But we can’t get back often enough really. Night matches are no good because of timing. I can probably only make Easter now and even then we might be away. The fixture list doesn’t work for six year olds who live 250 miles away. :(

Specifically asking people who no longer live in the region because it’s fine when you can take them every week.

How do you counter the obvious distraction of local and even non-local teams having an influence and your kids wanting to support them instead of the Lads?

The kids are nearly six and rife for influencing by other kids around them. There are two kids they look up to who are big Arsenal fans (only because they’re top of the league, neither of their parents are footy fans).

We watched the Coventry game yesterday (dad’s team) and we’ll be watching the lads today on telly and we talk a lot about mammy and daddy’s teams but they are still heavily influenced by “who’s the best team right now?” Thank fuck the Mags aren’t winning the league yet.

I don’t get to many home games any more and I won’t take them to away games yet because it’s a different atmosphere, so what do you do to get them to support the lads from a distance?
I've failed. Neither of my kids like football :(

I'm in a county completely devoid of football (unless you count Gillingham and Dover Athletic) so despite trying to get them interested, it just has not happened.

My wife is the eldest of 5 kids and none of them like football. On my first visit to her parents, her dad welcomed me in like a long lost son and we chatted football the whole time because he shares a similar pain to what I do now.

I think it's risky sending them to training in Sunderland gear at that age because under 10s can't deal with whole peer group piss taking and if everyone else is in spurs, arsenal and Chelsea shirts it'll definitely happen.

Both my kids play football for Tyneside kids teams and 80% of the kids are in mag gear for training. I wouldn't send them to training in Sunderland gear as it is needlessly confrontational, but equally I would never let them wear another English clubs colours. If they wear pro team kit at training it will be dhgate Feyenoord (or an obscure German or Italian team that is on special offer on prodirect soccer).

Last edited:
I've failed. Neither of my kids like football :(

I'm in a county completely devoid of football (unless you count Gillingham and Dover Athletic) so despite trying to get them interested, it just has not happened.

My wife is the eldest of 5 kids and none of them like football. On my first visit to her parents, her dad welcomed me in like a long lost son and we chatted football the whole time because he shares a similar pain to what I do now.
Keep at them - we live in a city where the teams are utter chod and play in grounds that northern league teams would turn their noses up at - the kids like a day out with me when I take them but the football doesnt grab them. Have Safc games on as much as you can, get Skysports on as much as you can and they'll soon take an interest - especially when they see your passion about it. The missus asked the boy what his favourite bit about the playoff final was when we got home 'Dad going crackers and hoying me all over when Stewart scored' - a building interest turned into an obsession that day

He does eat broccoli.

As an aside, forcing kids to eat foods can actually lead to eating issues.
It was a slightly tongue in cheek remark but parents (usually) know what is good for a kid more than they do.

Not ensuring kids get exposed to loads of different foods can lead to a nation of absolute bloaters.
We took them to Hull at Easter - they loved it. But we can’t get back often enough really. Night matches are no good because of timing. I can probably only make Easter now and even then we might be away. The fixture list doesn’t work for six year olds who live 250 miles away. :(
I think the kids are probably too young but, fingers crossed, that when they become obsessed we are in the Premier league with loads of exciting younguns giving it a go. then they can have a lifetime of misery after we revert to type.

Last edited:
Specifically asking people who no longer live in the region because it’s fine when you can take them every week.

How do you counter the obvious distraction of local and even non-local teams having an influence and your kids wanting to support them instead of the Lads?

The kids are nearly six and rife for influencing by other kids around them. There are two kids they look up to who are big Arsenal fans (only because they’re top of the league, neither of their parents are footy fans).

We watched the Coventry game yesterday (dad’s team) and we’ll be watching the lads today on telly and we talk a lot about mammy and daddy’s teams but they are still heavily influenced by “who’s the best team right now?” Thank fuck the Mags aren’t winning the league yet.

I don’t get to many home games any more and I won’t take them to away games yet because it’s a different atmosphere, so what do you do to get them to support the lads from a distance?

Have you considered foster care?

Keep at them - we live in a city where the teams are utter chod and play in grounds that northern league teams would turn their noses up at - the kids like a day out with me when I take them but the football doesnt grab them. Have Safc games on as much as you can, get Skysports on as much as you can and they'll soon take an interest - especially when they see your passion about it. The missus asked the boy what his favourite bit about the playoff final was when we got home 'Dad going crackers and hoying me all over when Stewart scored' - a building interest turned into an obsession that day
I did take my daughter to the SoL when she was younger, and she asked. I think it was because she saw her cousin going and wanted to know what it was all about. She was a kid very sensitive to sudden loud noises and shouting, so it really was not a good idea. It was a New Year's day game against Villa and I remember Cattermole looked hungover. If I remember correctly we got beat 2-0 and I think one of the goals just trundled past one of our players (Catts?) who was unaware of the ball. And because it was New Year's day, it was bloody freezing.

She didn't like it, but I can't think of a worse introduction.

Regular beatings.
This

Beat them, beat them on their pale skin and explain the running rivulets of red blood on their pale skin represents the red stripes of a sunderland shirt.

They will either support the Black Cats or murder you in your bed!!!!

My family in Edinburgh all big Hearts supporters except my one wee cousin...she is a Hibs fan....hell on.

I sort of think it OK to allow them to support local team. It is the glory followers I really can't abide.

Non of that is useful I realise....Good luck

Last edited:
I did take my daughter to the SoL when she was younger, and she asked. I think it was because she saw her cousin going and wanted to know what it was all about. She was a kid very sensitive to sudden loud noises and shouting, so it really was not a good idea. It was a New Year's day game against Villa and I remember Cattermole looked hungover. If I remember correctly we got beat 2-0 and I think one of the goals just trundled past one of our players (Catts?) who was unaware of the ball. And because it was New Year's day, it was bloody freezing.

She didn't like it, but I can't think of a worse introduction.
Aye you picked a stinker there :D
First game I took the bairn to, he went to school the following Monday and wrote in his weekend news book:

"Daddy took me to the football and everyone was shouting because they didnt like it"

Most honest match report I've ever seen to be fair.
Thats brilliant :D :D
Its easier for us to fly into London to go to an away game than to get back to the NE - fixtures are shite for us this season

Last edited:
It was a slightly tongue in cheek remark but parents (usually) know what is good for a kid more than they do.

Not ensuring kids get exposed to loads of different foods can lead to a nation of absolute bloaters.

I think the kids are probably too young but, fingers crossed, that when they become obsessed we are in the Premier league with loads of exciting younguns giving it a go. then they can have a lifetime of misery after we revert to type.
I know it was :) . They eat both peas and broccoli so I’m definitely winning at parenting.

I know it was :) . They eat both peas and broccoli so I’m definitely winning at parenting.
To be fair, it was the one area we struggled with the bairn. then when she got to about 14 she went really into nutrition and has a very healthy diet and life. I would be shocked if your kids were allowed too much shite food :lol:

Back