Exercises to work my pecs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one mate, i shall be back there tomorrow then :cool:

Do you lads use any energy drinks to keep you going that bit longer?

I'm pretty much a beginner at the whole weight training thing and I don't use any.

You need to sort out your general diet before thinking about supplements otherwise you're throwing good money after bad. I eat a lot of bananas before and after training for energy.

Just water when I'm training.

Nice one mate, i shall be back there tomorrow then :cool:

Do you lads use any energy drinks to keep you going that bit longer?

You shouldn't need them, how long are you usually training for? I normally train for 45-60 mins, any longer and I'm bored and I read that after an hour your body increases its cortisol levels which hampers muscle gains (could be bollocks, there's a lot of bollocks out there)

Plus, they're full of shite.

You shouldn't need them, how long are you usually training for? I normally train for 45-60 mins, any longer and I'm bored and I read that after an hour your body increases its cortisol levels which hampers muscle gains (could be bollocks, there's a lot of bollocks out there)

Plus, they're full of shite.

Been doing 45 minutes, aiming for an hour but as you say i get bored and fatigued.

To be fair today i felt a lot fitter after a day off so i think i just needed my batteries charging. Can start to see a change in my gut as well :cool:

Back tomorrow for another 45 mins then a break on Sunday :)

If you use a barbell to bench, remember to squeeze your grip this will help engage your pecs. keep your wrists upright like your punching the ceiling, don't let your wrists sag.

Last edited:
Yeah good call by Ross. Try to pull the bar apart too as you lower it; obviously you can't, but it helps keep tight and stable. Takes a long time to get a good bench though.

Yeah good call by Ross. Try to pull the bar apart too as you lower it; obviously you can't, but it helps keep tight and stable. Takes a long time to get a good bench though.

I thought it was best to try and squeeze the bar together, almost as if trying to bend it into a horse shoe Infront of u.

I thought it was best to try and squeeze the bar together, almost as if trying to bend it into a horse shoe Infront of u.

Na, pulling the bar apart will engage the lats more and help with overall tightness better. As long as the bar is not in free-fall, you're good tbh - but I find the focus on pulling the bar apart is a great way of staying tight and engaging the lats. I believe this is a common tip given by guys at Westside too, although can't remember where I first heard it.

Na, pulling the bar apart will engage the lats more and help with overall tightness better. As long as the bar is not in free-fall, you're good tbh - but I find the focus on pulling the bar apart is a great way of staying tight and engaging the lats. I believe this is a common tip given by guys at Westside too, although can't remember where I first heard it.

ah right, actually i slightly miss read the original post. didnt realise u only mentioned on lowering. I was talking about lifting.

Any updates on progress Thrall?

Sorry mate never noticed a reply. Ive been using the push up bars on my day off the gym and can do 10 proper ones now. Also by doing the dumbell exercises i can feel alot of aching to the part of my pec closest to my shoulder. I think the main thing for me is to lose the fat around my tits before i actually see some real shape.

Been losing 3 lbs a week and friday will be the end of my 3rd week so expecting to be about 12st 3lbs. Think im just going to concentrate on running and rowing next week to shed weight quicker as i still look very doughy.

Think i'll do a good solid week of that then i'll feel confident enough to do some heavy lifting.

My mates recently started training with me and his moobs are definitely getting a bit shape to them.

Stick to:
Flat bench press
Incline Bench Press
Incline dumbbell press
Incline Cable fly's
Flat dumbbell fly's
Cable Crossovers

and finish off with 3 sets of press up's to failure

Use a weight for each exercise where you can really squeeze the muscle on the positive of each rep.
Also remember not to lock your elbows out on any of the exercises, takes the strain off the joint and also keeps all the tension on the muscle.

My mates recently started training with me and his moobs are definitely getting a bit shape to them.

Stick to:
Flat bench press
Incline Bench Press
Incline dumbbell press
Incline Cable fly's
Flat dumbbell fly's
Cable Crossovers

and finish off with 3 sets of press up's to failure

Use a weight for each exercise where you can really squeeze the muscle on the positive of each rep.
Also remember not to lock your elbows out on any of the exercises, takes the strain off the joint and also keeps all the tension on the muscle.

Thanks for that mate, i'll have to google what those exercises are but i shall give em a bash in the morning :-D

All you really need to build up pecs when starting is bench press. After a while you can add a fly movement.

Ive been using a machine called the vertical chest press. Apparently that works the pecs but it mainly hammers under my arms. I seem to feel more doing the dumbell exercise from that video you linked.

its very hard to get good bench press form so you feel your chest is doing all the work. its not just a case of lying back and pushing the weight.

even with perfect form if your tri's are lagging, theyre gonna go first. So make sure you also doing some tri isolation work.

the wider the grip the more it hits the chest, closer the arms then the triceps get hit.... or that's what ive heard :lol:

the wider the grip the more it hits the chest, closer the arms then the triceps get hit.... or that's what ive heard :lol:

Not necessarily true, flat bench press I tend to stick with shoulder width apart grip, however on incline bench go for wider grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back